Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: What do the new stems 2.0 wants from me or my hardware to work in real time properly?
serieBPRO InfinityMember since 2017
Past month I ordered an ASUS ROG G713IC-HX011 laptop with an AMD R7-4800H processor, Nvidia RTX3050TI 4GB GDDR6, 16GB RAM and a NVMe PCIe Gen 4 1TB SSD just to work fluidly with the new 2.0 Stems system in real time. Well, looks like it wasn't enough, so playing .mkv, .mp4 and .vob video files (even many .flac audio files) I received a prompt message regarding my computer wasn't capable to do the separation in real time , so the path was to reduce quality or pre-compute the stems.

Yesterday and after undersell that machine I bought a new laptop, not the top of the line available in the market, but indeed a high-end gaming one. It's a Gigabyte AORUS 17 XE4-73ES514SH with i7 12700H, Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 130W 8GB GDDR6, 64GB RAM Kingston DDR4 3200Mhz and a NVMe PCIe Gen 4 1TB SSD. I guess this was the end of the road to take advantage finally of the real time stems separation in real time but I was wrong. Same problem here as with the former machine.

I have done my best to make this thing works:
Original Windows 11 Home Edition updated
All the drivers updated
Nvidia RTX 3070Ti as the graphic card in VDJ options
Geforce software updated setted at maximum perfomance
Power supply working, not battery.
Only the Gygabyte and Nvidia stuff and VDJ (on last Early Access) installed on the drive, nothing else.

What's happening here? Do I need to overclock this machine to the dead or the fact is this incipient new 2.0 stems is not already mature? Maybe a 4 or 5k machine with i9‑13900KS, RTX 4090 card and 128GB of RAM would work properly, but I think is not a realistic option for the pocket of the 99% DJ community.
Don't get me wrong, our beloved software plays great, but I really want to use a new function that don't work as it should with this powerful hardware.
Just let me know your thought please.

Posted Wed 18 Jan 23 @ 8:01 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
For the RTX, 4GB is not really enough (might work sometimes, sometimes not)
The 3070Ti with 8GB should be sufficient.
Perhaps you copied the settings over from the previous machine? If so make sure that in stems settings 'Don't use GPU' is not checked.

Posted Wed 18 Jan 23 @ 8:07 pm
Adion wrote :
For the RTX, 4GB is not really enough (might work sometimes, sometimes not)
The 3070Ti with 8GB should be sufficient.
Perhaps you copied the settings over from the previous machine? If so make sure that in stems settings 'Don't use GPU' is not checked.

My RTX3060 6GB works fine ...

Posted Wed 18 Jan 23 @ 9:05 pm
serieBPRO InfinityMember since 2017
Hi, 'Don't use GPU' is not checked indeed. Thank you Adion.
If you have tested the 2.0 stems with 6/8GB RTX Nvidia cards I'm starting to think the problem could be a bottleneck with external drives. All my music and video files are in a external 5400 RPM portable 5TB HDD disk.
I always have the drive defragmented and communicated with USB 3.2 and/or Thunderbolt 4/USB C, but maybe this system has been designed with an internal SSD drive in mind.
Wish I have the funds to get a laptop with a 16GB RTX 30x or 40x, but sadly that kind of monsters are over my budget.

Posted Wed 18 Jan 23 @ 9:18 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
You could try to copy some files to the internal drive to test the speed of course.
For compressed audio files an external drive should still be fast enough that it won't be a significant factor, but for uncompressed audio or video there's some chance that disk speed is the limiting factor. (although it should still reach 50MB/sec or so, which would still be 5 minutes of uncompressed audio read in 1 second)

Posted Wed 18 Jan 23 @ 9:48 pm
Isn't the process done in steps,

First the track is loaded . .from a HD or from slow streaming service .. then and only then,

the 2.0 stems are calculated.

And 3rd step, if asked for, is to write the stems to the HD, for future use.

So since the steps are independent and sequential, the HD speed (which surely is much faster then streaming from an online service) should NOT be an issue.

Just asking to understand, and learn more.

And is more likely that there is not sufficient VRAM for all processes at the moment.

Is there a minimum VRAM that is required to be available to VDJ for successful 2.0 stems calculations?
(so it does not revert back and check the " Do NOT use GPU' check box)

Posted Wed 18 Jan 23 @ 10:03 pm