Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Can I assign controls to the BPM Editor?
I have a Roland DJ-505 and a Kontrol S8, and I'm trying to assign controls to the BPM Editor so that I can edit tracks from my controllers, as I am having difficulty using the mouse to do the BPM Editor functions.

I'll be honest, I don't know that much about VDJ when it comes to this stuff, but the only command I've so far is,
edit_bpm
to open it (can't seem to close it?).

I'm seeking to use the jogwheel and touchstrip to control the BPM Editor Playhead, and other functions to play, play_scrub, zoom, insert and delete anchor points, similar to how you can in Serato or Traktor.

Any suggestions on how to use a controller to control BPM Editor would be amazing!

Posted Tue 17 Jan 23 @ 1:39 am
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
see the pad page grid adjust, it has all of the cbg [the grid] editing scripts, use it as is, or study it to make your own thing.

A lot of my early padpages were about not just doing a thing, but how to do a thing.

Posted Tue 17 Jan 23 @ 1:45 am
Thanks again for replying.

"see the pad page grid adjust, it has all of the cbg [the grid] editing scripts..."

I have tried to find this pad page information, and cannot find any of it, I went to the Pad page Edit, Mapping, and looked in the VDJ appendix, but can't see anything with CBG?

Is this a special section you have to enter, or code that needs to be written?

I'm sorry to be a pain, but I can't see anything except 'edit_bpm'

I tried:
select ? edit_bpm { to open/close BPM Editor)
Kontrol S8 user-defined button = edit_bpm : play_button {to play/pause the play button}
Kontrol S8 user-defined button + Shift+ touchstrip = edit_bpm & jogwheel {to forward/reverse}

I've tried similar for the other functions, but nothing works.
I can't even get anything to work using the basic keyboard hotkeys?

I've spent hour trying, but I just don't know what I'm doing wrong...

I'm at a point where I'd accept a written script which I'll have to adjust to my device, at least it gives me a chance at something to work in the BPM Editor

Are able to help?

Posted Tue 17 Jan 23 @ 2:57 pm
adjust_cbg

Posted Tue 17 Jan 23 @ 3:35 pm
I'm completely at lost to your answer.
Have I asked in a way that has offended you?

I mean no malice, I'm just asking for help; an answer with two words, and no context, doesn't feel like the response I deserve for seeking help with your product.

Especially after the time, exposure I've given it, and how little I have hassled Atomix Productions for support.

Posted Tue 17 Jan 23 @ 6:45 pm
nicethings wrote :
I'm completely at lost to your answer.
Have I asked in a way that has offended you?

I mean no malice, I'm just asking for help; an answer with two words, and no context, doesn't feel like the response I deserve for seeking help with your product.

Especially after the time and exposure I've given it, and how little I have hassled Atomix Productions for support.

Posted Tue 17 Jan 23 @ 10:05 pm

Posted Tue 17 Jan 23 @ 10:18 pm
Thanks very much for the link.

I looked at the script in that pad page, but it only appears to let you add the first beat anchor, there doesn't seem to be a way to:

* Add or remove anchor markers
* Move the playhead through the BPM Editor with the metronome ON using a controller {it's really the only thing I wanted to do}
* Play or stop using the BPM Editor using a controller

Posted Wed 18 Jan 23 @ 4:00 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
Not all BPM Editor functionality is available via VDJ actions.

What is available (and can be mapped to a controller or skin button/knob) ..
- adjust_cbg Moves the beatgrid left/right E.g. adjust_cbg -1 , adjust_cbg +1 or adjust_cbg -0.01 , adjust_cbg +0.01 for fine adjustment.

- set_bpm Change the BPM value as if you adjust the width of the BeatGrid (stretch/shrink) starting from the First Beat position. E.g. set_bpm -1 , set_bpm +1 or set_bpm -0.01 , set_bpm +0.01 for fine adjustment.

- reanalyze Cancel manual BPM edits and bring back what VDJ has detected in first place (like a Cancel button)

- set_firstbeatSets current Track's position as First Beat Anchor

On your S8 controller for example, you can map the unused EDIT button as toggle 'bpmedit' to toggle a BPM Edit mode.
Then other keys can be mapped like .. var 'bpmedit' ? adjust_cbg -1 : WhateverActionTheKeyHad The adjust_cbg -1 action will be executed if the variable bpmedit is true (EDIT button turned on) and the WhateverActionTheKeyHad action will be executed if false (EDIT button turned off)

Posted Wed 18 Jan 23 @ 5:22 pm
also

set_bpm 50% to halve bpm.
set_bpm 200% to double bpm.

Posted Wed 18 Jan 23 @ 5:40 pm
Thanks for the info, it gives me a better idea of the things I can and cannot do in the BPM Editor.

I'll look if anyone has put: Add Hotkeys/Command for all BPM Editor on the Wishlist and Features request section, and write a thread if not, as it's very frustrating and slow doing the important stuff via mouse.

I wish there was a really simple way to learn VDJ Script (videos would be ace!).

That said, this DJ App is far superior to the rest, due to it's level of flexibility, cheers!

Posted Wed 18 Jan 23 @ 6:37 pm
TBH, I don't think there's any action missing to manipulate BPM from a controller. Anything more would require to bring up the BPM Editor window and use the mouse.

Also there's the action set_firstbeat to manualy place the "first" beat of a track and the action beat_tap

That being said, on all my skins released the last 5 years, I always include an "On Screen BPM Editor" like this:

It uses the "variable" way djdad explained above, and you can easily incoporate it on a device mapper.
As you can see from the picture, it has more or less whatever you may need from a "quick access" solution, and it uses the available actions mentioned in this thread.

Posted Wed 18 Jan 23 @ 7:08 pm
I see what you're saying, and this is fine for anything without variable BPM

Even though the Analyze does an amazing job, sometime you need to 'line up' parts; I get old 60's & 70's tunes and add more effective Kick and snares.

These tunes usually have drift in them, and it would be brilliant if you could use the playhead and metronome via controller (metronome on a deck track, even better) to go through correct bits easier, especially with a large library.

I used to 'flatten' tracks in Ableton but using BPM Editor can keep some of the energy that might get lost.

No so much a complaint as an observation, for helping a reasonable subset of likely users.

Posted Wed 18 Jan 23 @ 7:36 pm
If you need the metronome, then definately you are not doing it "live" and you need to bring up BPM Editor.
That being said, if you open BPM Editor for a track that's loaded on a deck, the Transport buttons and the jog of the deck will also control the playhead inside BPM Editor.

Posted Wed 18 Jan 23 @ 8:27 pm
nicethings wrote :
...I wish there was a really simple way to learn VDJ Script (videos would be ace!).

It's not a topic that is suited to video, sure simple stuff; remap a dial, queries, yeah there's videos out there, but once you've got the basics, it's a case of looking up script definitions then working from that and base understanding.

if it's a pop up window most cases you can't script to it,
tag editing you can manipulate with browsed_song "TAGNAME"
poi editing... well I've made hacky workarounds for some cases.
bpm editing, I put all the scripts we have into the padpage, but you need the basic understanding to do that stuff off the padpage and linked to your hw.
other popups sometimes the only sensible option is mouse [despite how much I hate mouse work] some cases I could make a thing, but it's hours of time to invent a c++ workaround.

I've a thread scriptSchool [5 years now] it's probably the best entry point if you want to learn script.

Posted Wed 18 Jan 23 @ 10:00 pm