Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Headphone delay / latency
Hi. I'm absolutely NOT a tech guy so bear with me.

Windows 10 laptop with basic sound card. I record myself doing radio DJ-style music shows for YouTube. Using USB mic and USB headphones. Both are plugged into the same external USB hub.
When I first start recording, everything sounds fine. However, after about an hour, a delay develops between the mic and the headphones. The longer I go, the worse it gets until it's impossible to continue. Restarting the laptop resets the process, but it always comes back, progressively worse the longer it goes.

Things I'm guessing will solve my problem: a better laptop. A better mic. Better headphones. However, I'm on a strict budget. Those are not options. I did find, however, on Amazon an external sound card that accepts USB inputs for less than $25. (Phoinikas T10)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FP8PG9N
Do you think this will solve my delay issues? If not, any other ideas? If you answer, please dumb it down for me as I barely grasp the concepts of sound cards and latency.

Thanks!

Posted Fri 06 Jan 23 @ 7:39 pm
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
$25 probably not, but at this price point miracles can happen, it really can be a lottery,
mic latency some people will throw a lot of money at the problem, expensive audio interfaces should solve it but often it still isn't "buy thing = problem solved"

Posted Fri 06 Jan 23 @ 8:12 pm
Latency won't be solved by a better laptop. Using a mic and headphones that aren't USB would probably help a little, but then you'd need somewhere to plug them in........

You need a better audio interface. Laptops typically don't have audio designed for DJing.

$25 won't buy you a low latency ASIO audio interface (or a controller with one built in). You'll need to invest to solve it.

Posted Fri 06 Jan 23 @ 11:23 pm
As a first step (since the problem builds up over time):
Make sure that both your USB Mic and USB headphones use the same SAMPLE RATE.
On most of these things you should be able to set them at least between 44100Hz and 48000Hz
It doesn't matter what value you choose. Just make sure both use the same.

If you don't know hot to set the sample rate then search it on Google or YouTube. It's quite easy, and it's done through Windows sound settings.

Posted Sat 07 Jan 23 @ 3:46 am
First, thanks to all for helping.

I checked the settings, and everything's at 48000.

Here's my next option; does it make sense?

I do have a cheap mic with 1/4 in connector and a really good, very old, set of headphones with 1/4 in jack. Do you think an external sound card / audio interface with these inputs would resolve my problem? If so, any ideas on the price range, or any suggestions for specific products?

Thanks again!

Posted Sat 07 Jan 23 @ 5:14 am
What's your budget? My suggestion, if you don't one already, is to get yourself a DJ controller with onboard audio interface. It makes DJing with software so much easier, and solves the audio issue too.

Posted Sat 07 Jan 23 @ 6:30 pm
I'm open to the idea of a controller, but frankly, other than fixing the audio, I don't understand how it would make DJ-ing easier. I don't play live, I just record my show to video, edit it with other software, and post it to YouTube or Patreon. (YouTube.com/CornerDJ) I find using the VDJ software on my laptop screen to be extremely easy, as I just point and click. Can you expand on how the controller makes things easier? Also, since I'm sitting at my desk, would it take up much physical space?

Obviously, I know virtually nothing about modern tech. Back in my day, we would have called it a "mixing board" with turntable inputs but, for me, the VDJ visual interface is just as easy to operate.

Regarding my budget, it's just a matter of priorities. It seems to me that there should be an easy, cheap fix for this problem, so that's what I'm investigating right now. I'm not willing to spend hundreds just to fix latency. I have a (less than perfect) workaround that costs me nothing. But, I am willing to spend hundreds if the product provides me with more benefits than just reducing latency.

Thanks for your help!

Posted Sat 07 Jan 23 @ 10:11 pm
A few more details about how I use the VDJ software. I'm an old school radio DJ and I record shows that are similar in format. The "Essentials" interface works best for me. I make extensive use of the library system, and use the beat matching feature when mixing from one song to the next. I use the sampler for quick SFX and fake commercials. That's it. I use very little of the bells and whistles. Only two turntables and a microphone. (Beck.) I'm not looping, slicing, using stems, using FX, etc.

I looked at some controllers online and they seem to be WAY more complicated than what I need. However, I don't really understand the interface between the laptop and the controller, so I'm willing to be schooled.

Thanks again!

Posted Sat 07 Jan 23 @ 10:42 pm
It's quite simple. The controller provides you with physical controls, which emulate a traditional DJ setup of a mixer and two decks. It's easier to DJ because you're not limited to using a mouse or trackpad, so turning a knob is much easier for starters.....and you can adjust more than one thing at a time.

With controllers that have the audio onboard, it's easier to configure because it's plug and play. If you go for just an external audio interface, most won't be specifically for DJs and you'll have to config things yourself manually.

Posted Sat 07 Jan 23 @ 11:13 pm
After looking at some controllers online, they appear to be WAY more complicated than what I need. I'm perfectly happy using a mouse. Again, I'm not doing special effects or techno club mixing. I just play a song, play the next song, and talk occasionally. Think typical radio DJ. I don't see how turning a knob on a separate device makes thing easier for me. Wouldn't I still have to do half the work on the laptop screen to select songs and whatnot? It seems unnecessarily redundant for my purposes, other than the audio improvements. Especially given the size.

Posted Sun 08 Jan 23 @ 7:06 pm
Thing I've tried that didn't work: plugging the mic and headphones directly into the laptop USB ports. Tried various combinations. Also tried a USB hub in one port and plugging the mic and cans into that. Only a tiny bit better. I've played with every relevant setting in the software. None of it worked.

For the record, I'm going to give the Phoinikas T10 a shot. For $25, why not? I can always return it if it doesn't do the job. I'm hoping that having the mic and the headphones plugged into one sound card device, which then connects to the laptop as one input, will sync the two peripherals. I'll report back on how well it works (or doesn't.)

Posted Sun 08 Jan 23 @ 7:09 pm
CornerDJ1 wrote :
WAY more complicated than what I need

No, they're not complicated. They typically provide the controls necessary to DJ.

It's far easier and quicker to turn an actual physical knob with your fingers than it is to use a mouse, move the pointer over a picture of a knob, click the button and drag. Same applies to buttons and other controls.

I can only assume you've never used DJ hardware before, so are unfamiliar with the difference it makes.

You asked for help, and we're giving advice. Of course it's up to you if you then choose to ignore it.

Posted Sun 08 Jan 23 @ 7:55 pm
The problem is probably with the USB.

Use a mic and headphones that aren't USB.

"I do have a cheap mic with 1/4 in connector and a really good, very old, set of headphones with 1/4 in jack."
-----> Then why don't you use it?

"My suggestion, if you don't one already, is to get yourself a DJ controller with onboard audio interface. It makes DJing with software so much easier, and solves the audio issue too."
-----> He don't need a controller for what he do with it.
Everything should work with onboard sound.

Posted Sun 08 Jan 23 @ 11:08 pm
"I can only assume you've never used DJ hardware before, so are unfamiliar with the difference it makes."

Yeah, you probably shouldn't assume. I was a professional radio DJ in the country's 5th biggest market.

"You asked for help, and we're giving advice. Of course it's up to you if you then choose to ignore it."

Yes, and I have thanked everyone for their help. Why are you getting snippy? I fully understand that for some people, a controller is exactly what they need. It just so happens it's complete overkill for my purposes. I'm not even turning dials onscreen. I click play. I double click the next song and it loads. I click play. Rinse. Repeat. Don't get mad because your solution isn't right for me. Thanks for your help.

Posted Mon 09 Jan 23 @ 2:34 am
"The problem is probably with the USB.
Use a mic and headphones that aren't USB."

That's what I don't understand. I don't get why they wouldn't by synced if they're plugged into the same external sound card. Since I don't have 1/4 in inputs on my laptop, I would still need to purchase an external sound card regardless. That's why I'm trying the T10 first. Fingers crossed.

"I do have a cheap mic with 1/4 in connector and a really good, very old, set of headphones with 1/4 in jack."
-----> Then why don't you use it?

As mentioned, the other mic is a cheap one. I'd rather use the higher quality USB mic. The headphones are ridiculously heavy. They're KOSS Pro 5LC from the 70's. It's been a while, but I think I tried them once and there was some issue with them being analog or too old or something.

"My suggestion, if you don't one already, is to get yourself a DJ controller with onboard audio interface. It makes DJing with software so much easier, and solves the audio issue too."
-----> He don't need a controller for what he do with it.

Yes! Thank you! For my purposes, an external controller is wholly unnecessary (other than the sound card aspect.) Also, again, it's going to take up valuable desk space. There's no way it's more convenient for me to use two devices instead of one. I'm not club mixing. I'm radio-style DJ-ing. I'm pretty sure most modern radio stations work off one touchscreen.

Posted Mon 09 Jan 23 @ 2:44 am
For the record, the Phoinikas T10 works like a charm and solved my latency issues. You don't always need to spend hundreds when you can spend $25 instead.

Posted Sat 14 Jan 23 @ 7:50 pm