Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: VDJ keeps freezing with windows 11
i had recently bought 2 new windows 11 laptops 1 acer 1 asus due to my 2 windows 10 ones some reason the usb ports all failed and went down hill..

i installed virtual dj on the windows 11 and copied over the virtual dj document folder.. found out that doesnt work anymore virtual dj installed to a different folder o think it was program data or something so i eventually figured out advance install and choose windows documents folder..

now after all that doing events the virtual dj is freezing up in browsing,, in loading songs takes 10 seconds

i have googled.. to try to find things but no luck even read the 2 articles here on virtual dj community but 0 luck

so i have tried

turn off usb sleep in device manager
turn off file date in search.
updated windows

my current setup is
6tb 7200 rpm drive down graded from 12TB and moved half the songs off and cant afford 4 4TB SSDs to make 2 copies of 8TB raid 0 configurarion

i using startech external hd enclosures
windows is the preinstalled from the brand new installs

also made sure drivers and bios updates were done too

i havent tried installing Virtual DJ to the External drive instead of c:\program files location not sure if that would help or not

i have one drive uninstalled..

is there any other tweaks or something to install to counteract windows 11 constantly freezing every song or every other song or every search and every virtual folder select. it just hangs like 10 seconds each time...

Posted Mon 02 Jan 23 @ 2:26 pm
have you tried disabling real time stems in options?

Posted Mon 02 Jan 23 @ 2:33 pm
no never tried.. i dont even use stems i just play the music as is... but ill give that a try today i think the stems is just for striping the vocals from the music em i right? if so never played or installed any of that....

Posted Mon 02 Jan 23 @ 3:06 pm
It activates automatically depending on your setup ......

Posted Mon 02 Jan 23 @ 3:09 pm
ok ill take a look.. and my setup is just plain setup i guess odd just alterations in past in community to speed up freezing i was having in windows 10.. but found still froze but ya

oh and the asus computer i using.. i dont have the link for the acer.. but here is the amazon link
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B09VCQDYC2

i also wonder if there is settings to adopt for a 14 core cpu? or so too that can speed things up?

Posted Mon 02 Jan 23 @ 3:19 pm
That should run stems flawlessly.

Look at the usual USB power saving stuff. External drives are just another thing in the chain to potentially cause issues.

Posted Mon 02 Jan 23 @ 3:32 pm
ah ok i thought it should run virtual dj no issues..

now when i googled about power saving to disable the sleep the usb ports under power saving mode doesnt exist.. least not in Home maybe in Pro version i did try tricks to install it never did.. but i disabled power sleep for usb hub root in the device manager i read to do .. didnt help.. and since i run 5TB so far i need like 2 4TB ssds and at nearly 500 dollars for a 4TB i i not busy enough to afford 2 well 4 of them as i use a backup computer so its a clone ...

where else do you search for power for the external drives stuff.. and i using 2 Startech external drive enclosures using the 10gb plug cable ends it is frustrating.. and you think with a powerful pc that even with file date on in search it should never been slow either but with it on or off it doesnt

but ill give the stems thing a try later today.. and i also wonder.. my external drive is X: if i reinstall Virtual DJ to X: drive and the documents folder for the settings if i put that to X: drive if it will help?

oh and my 2 6TB hard drives are WD Red Pro Drives

Posted Mon 02 Jan 23 @ 3:40 pm
Better just to keep your home folder on the laptop drive. no advantage moving it elsewhere.

I know everyone works in different ways but why such large drives and so many files?

With streaming being more commonplace it's now far easier to keep a "core" collection on the laptop internal drive and use the likes of tidal for everything else.

Posted Mon 02 Jan 23 @ 3:46 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
When u load a Track that takes 10 seconds as u said to load, do the next Tracks load slow too (if not waiting) ?
Trying to see if the HD falls to sleep or some other factor

Posted Mon 02 Jan 23 @ 3:55 pm
to try to answer both questions

i not sure what likes of tidal means but reason i have big hd used to have 3 music subscriptions covering music and music videos and its like 3 or 4TB of music videos i havent converted them to h265 to reduce things.. also i cover like 20 genres of music in an evening when i play i used to cover 1930s to today.. and in an evening it could be 4yr old to 65 yr old. so i cover a vast range or music style and ages..

and streaming isnt an option as its flaky for wifi also i dont get wifi at all locations and theres disconnect etc.. small towns etc dont offer stable wifi as they offer it to all the guests ...so i never relie on wifi.... i keep it offline... same like ethernet cable or wifi eithernet is always better ..

i had taken off lot of music i dont use as much as kareoke i dont do anymore really.. and i used to host jamborees so all entertainers would give me a cd so each one id rip to my setup to play instead of needing cds.... so reason why my collection so big and i dont relie on wifi as other places.. they stream with there tablet and wifi goes down and so does the music and it takes 5 10 min or so to get music back.. so offline is more reliable

as for the loading the next tracks... it varies
so while i playing a song and if i search a song it will freeze .. or if i click a virtual folder its stuck on browsing.. and sometimes it will search faster,, it will broswer faster.. and the song will load up instantoly but then goes right back to being slow..

i did try defraging the hard drive didnt help... and the virtual folders are on the external drive

how i do things is
my desktop PC has a network drive x: and i create all the folders i use and sort the music from my subscriptions...
and then i transfter the x: drives virtual folder to 2 6TB external drives.. and each drive is has as x: so that way when i plug in my 2 laptops they have X: drive and that way virtual dj doesnt have do do the renamging/renaming so everything is exactly the same..

and how do i test if the hd is falling a sleep? is there a setting in virtual dj that says the drive is sleeping? i do set dont let hard drives ever fall a sleep if plugged in or on battery i set that to never.. and same with the device manager... is there any other locations to look?

Posted Mon 02 Jan 23 @ 4:21 pm

Posted Mon 02 Jan 23 @ 4:45 pm
ok ill give step 4 a try.. i have done the 3 other steps.. and my orginal post at top i mentioned about the selective usb thing not being an option in the power plan for Home version must be a Pro version feature
i had tried the 3 steps to try to enable it like edit regsitry.. using Power Shell and command prompt and non worked so all i did was the disable the host root in device manager... but when i get home later today ill try that too step 4 to do best write performance..

i guess Virtual DJ doesnt log that files taking too long to load into the deck?

i do know it pops up notifications when you first load up virtual dj if datasebase taking too long to load etc.. but i guessing there is no logging when you load a track or virtual folder browsing why its taking so long..

but ill give the step 4 in that article a try when i get home.. i really appreciate the help so far.. it is frustrating as you worry that when you trying to load a track that the whole system goes down.. but lucky my mixer i can switch to 2nd laptop instantly if that happens

Posted Mon 02 Jan 23 @ 5:03 pm
Hi,

My windows 11 from Lenovo Legion 7, 2022, stops the vdj, makes it to disappear in a second... Do you know what I should do to repair it ? Anyone with the same issue ?

Thanks.

Posted Tue 17 Jan 23 @ 3:03 pm
SepatroPRO InfinityMember since 2019
Even with Windows 10, the only times I had similar issues (Virtual DJ crashes and loads again) was when I was using an external USB-drive. I did not try to change power settings.etc, but stopped using USB drives...

Posted Tue 17 Jan 23 @ 4:15 pm
danydjPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Hello, I had a problem that I solved this way :

i'm french, the menus are not necessarily noted identically in English.

1) Using a powered (electric current) HUB for my self-powered drives.
Not necessarily useful for those who only use one.
Connected with an adapter to USB C (new PCs no longer have blue USB 3).

2) USB power setting in "device manager" settings.
In the options of "generic USB hub" go to "properties" and then to "power management" and uncheck "Allow the computer to shut down.......".
Ditto with all USB's that have this option such as "generic USB HUB".

3) One in my case was found in the laptop's power options which you find under "setting" and "power".
The main (never had that with my other Windows) is the standby which was checked for 3 minutes and I had a micro cut every 3 minutes.
By setting it to "never" there was much less problem.

4) Other adjustment made in the power supply is to put this power supply in "normal mode" or "high performance".

5) Still in the power settings, "USB Parameter", remove the "economy" and "power management" settings by the pc.

6) In the software I changed a parameter which removed the last mood swings from the sound and the video:
"Parameter" => "Option" => "Performance" => I had "latency" on 520 and changed it to 1000.

Hope it can help others.

Posted Tue 17 Jan 23 @ 5:13 pm
I said that the VDJ dissapear from my desktop, and when Is tarting again it starts with unsaved last data

Posted Tue 17 Jan 23 @ 10:26 pm