Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Refresh remix field
When I reload tags, the remix field is cleared.

Is there an option to have the remix field refilled from the title after reloading tags?

I don't want to re-analyze the tracks as some of them have manual beat grid fixes.

I just ran into this after having changed a lot of genre tags in an external app.

Posted Thu 22 Dec 22 @ 10:47 am
I wonder the same thing. I have a lot of songs that are named " Artist - Song (remix) [intro] " and in the remix field i have a lot of "intro" remixes :-)
Edit all the tags and remove "Intro" doesnt work

Posted Thu 22 Dec 22 @ 2:50 pm
AlhifiPRO InfinityMember since 2015
Maybe there is an error in the actual version, I don't know. I just want to explain my error, than I saw this thread, therefor ...

Since I recgocnized in the past that VDJ uses the tag "subtitle" for the value of "Remix" I still use MP3Tag before the files are imported into VDJ to tag my files, everything works fine for years.

In VDJs browser I use normally the combined field "Title (Remix)" for displaying the information, but take a look:

The tags are all the same, but take a look, what VDJ does in the first line! I have here also activated the normal "Title" and "Remix" to show the original values.

Same here ...

... but if we think that this happens only in the first line of the list, so just switch the sort order. It seems, that VDJ does something with the results of the search and the first entry of this result list is wrong. If I put something in the subtitle/remix fiels like "xyz", the value of "Title (Remix)" ist displayed correctly.

Posted Thu 22 Dec 22 @ 8:08 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
The "Title (Remix)" column checks both the title and the remix field in the database to determine what the title is and what the remix is. (Similar to what happens when the title and remix are displayed on the deck)
In some cases this could indeed incorrectly detect some part between brackets as the remix.

Posted Thu 22 Dec 22 @ 8:21 pm
Hrmmmm… Highjacking the thread back to the original topic:

The remix field is cleared when re-loading tags.

Is there a way to batch re-parse the title fields and update the remix field?

Posted Fri 23 Dec 22 @ 8:40 am
Filling the remix field from the filename is only done when the title and artist fields in the tag are empty.
Otherwise it is assumed that the information in the tag is correct.

Posted Fri 23 Dec 22 @ 8:50 am
But why is the remix field cleared when reloading tags?

EDIT: Ahh I see. So if the remix tag in the audio file is empty, when I reload tags it is of course cleared. It would be nice to have a batch “Parse remix” function.

Posted Fri 23 Dec 22 @ 8:52 am
Niels (cph) wrote :
But why is the remix field cleared when reloading tags?

EDIT: Ahh I see. So if the remix tag in the audio file is empty, when I reload tags it is of course cleared. It would be nice to have a batch “Parse remix” function.

Ok, I take that edit back.. The files do not have a "Remix" tag. So I don't think it makes sense to clear the VDJ remix field when reloading tags.

Posted Fri 23 Dec 22 @ 9:11 am
'Reload tags' is for when the tag is correct, but the vdj database is incorrect, so i think vdj should assume that it is not a remix if there is no remix field in the tag.

Posted Fri 23 Dec 22 @ 9:20 am
Adion wrote :
Filling the remix field from the filename is only done when the title and artist fields in the tag are empty.
Otherwise it is assumed that the information in the tag is correct.

I have these 2 Beatport MP3 files in the DB:

Able_to_Resist_-_New_Beginning_(Original_Mix).mp3
Able_to_Resist_-_Robin_(Original_Mix).mp3

The ID3 artist/title tags are as follows:

"Able to Resist" / "New Beginning (Original Mix)"
"Able to Resist" / "Robin (Original Mix)"

Still, the remix field in the vdj tag editor shows "Original Mix" for both. In lieu of what you said above, is that intended?

I just found out that the vdj tag editor "Remix" field maps to the ID3 SUBTITLE tag. And because the ID3 tags in my Beatport files do not have SUBTITLE, the vdj remix field is cleared when reloading tags.

If the ID3 tags do not contain SUBTITLE, vdj should not clear the remix field in the DB. The remix value (if any) derived from the filename during import should be better -- IMHO.

Posted Fri 23 Dec 22 @ 11:01 am