Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Moving stems files around?
Now that we have multiple ways of placing stems files, a question had come up:
Can we move them around independent of the audio files and database file, and still use them?

The idea being to do the separation on your most powerful laptop

Previously the stems file was next to the track file, and was named the same except the extension
Now it can be placed in a separate folder, so obviously the files don't need to be next to each other

Also a flag seems to get set in the database.xml after a stems separation.
Like the flag in this example:
<Song FilePath="C:\privat\iPod\New\Bruno Mars - 24K Magic.mp3" FileSize="9261745" Flag="33554432">...
... that obviously won't get set by itself just because we place a stems file, separated on another laptop, next to the audio file

So how does VDJ know when stems exist?

- Will it work if a stems file with the correct name is copied next to the audio file?
- Will it work if we copy both the stems file and the audio file
- Can we copy the content of the the stems folder from laptop top laptop, and expect it to work
- What happens if everything is done on an external harddrive
- What goes into the stems folder in VDJ? Is that what the flag is used for? Or will it always be the same as what gets the stems icon in regular folders, if stems exists
- Is it the same for stems v1 and v2

... basically - how does VDJ register/know when matching stems are available (so that we can hack it :) )

Posted Tue 20 Dec 22 @ 1:04 pm
Currently I prepare on one machine to a dedicated stems folder, then use Synchredible to replicate the VDJ home folder, the video folder and the stems folder on the other machines via a Samsung SSD (with the same directory structure). Works seamlessly whether you leave the stems in the song folder or use a dedicated one.

Posted Tue 20 Dec 22 @ 1:34 pm
More o less the same thing I do; I prepare everything at home to an external hardrive and sync it to the PC / MAC using FreeFileSync.
Same drive & Folder structure on both, external drive and internal drive from PC / MAC. I say PC / MAC because I use both and it works... as long as all playlist are made with VDJ Virtual folders.

This is something that does not work on Traktor... well it works if you know how to hack the database using UltraEdit or something a like.

Note: You must have a second drive on your laptop or a second partition to be able to sync with the external drive.

Posted Tue 20 Dec 22 @ 5:43 pm
vazkePRO InfinityMember since 2012
Hi guys, my very stable - core i7 (7th Gen) laptop - does freeze (permanently) whenever I try to create stems for later use. I do have a Mac with M2 chipset that I was thinking of using solely for that purpose.

I did read your posts carefully; however unfortunately still can't figure out how to transfer them from one device to the other. Any chance you can elaborate (for dummies!) or perhaps a short video?! would really appreciate that.... thnx

Posted Tue 27 Dec 22 @ 6:35 pm
Have someone found a proper definitive solution to move stems file around different pc?

Posted Sun 09 Apr 23 @ 1:54 pm
djlouc3PRO InfinityMember since 2022
Best thing is to keep them in the same folder and sync the folders in my opinion

Posted Mon 16 Oct 23 @ 1:13 am
I dont know, if there is already a solution, but what i tried today, and this is my first time using the 2.0 Stems:

I created a desicated Folder named 2024 Stems on PC A and prepared some stems. Copied to the same name and path on PC B in hope, that it easiy works. But i couldnt find amy of the stems so i was searching on yt and here for a solition.

What i find out: even though, vdj doenst recognise the stems on the spot, when u load the track of a stemed song, vdj will see that it has stems and now it has the blue dotn and its in the prepared folder in the vdj browser. If this still doesnt work, play the song for a second, and voila...

Posted Sat 09 Mar 24 @ 8:08 pm
[

Posted Sat 09 Mar 24 @ 10:12 pm
PhilWPRO InfinityMember since 2011
I use Syncthing under Windows on both my laptop and desktop to synchronize my media files (on drive M:), the VirtualDJ folder (on drive C: under my user's AppData), and the VirtualDJ database for the media files (M:\VirtualDJ). I have files to skip in the AppData folder (licence and cache). It's been working great.

I am very careful not to run VirtualDJ at the same time on either device or have it running when they go to sleep.

My desktop is far more powerful and I do the stems prep there and the stems are available on the laptop. Synchronization is automatic and I just check the status periodically.

Note: It's still important to backup all those folders - syncing is NOT a backup.

I did have to manually move my VDJ settings to AppData prior to setting this up but didn't find that too onerous.

Posted Sun 10 Mar 24 @ 2:08 am
I copied some videos with their prepared stems files from a random folder in my PC to another random folder in the laptop and VDJ simply recognize them

Posted Tue 12 Mar 24 @ 9:23 pm