Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Stem 2.0 Click in the Kick
I've got a song that I manually prepared with stems 2.0 and for some reason the Kick stem has a click in it. I've deleted the stem and regenerated it a few times, and the click is always at the same position. The click is occurring in the middle of the song playing, it is not while the song is mixing into another, and though the song does have some bass stem actions, there are none where the click occurs. If I play the song in the POI editor it plays fine without a click, and before stems 2.0 it was also fine. So I think this issue is somehow caused by the new stems algorithm.

I tried turning off each stem, and the click occurs while the Kick is on. Also if you turn the Kick off, there is still a tiny little click sound, but barely noticable.

I've uploaded a zip file, which is 110 MB, to my google drive. of the song, stem 2.0 file, and short recording of what I hear when automix is playing the song, and I have a backup of the original stem 1.0, which I made just in case there were issues. I realize I don't have a licence, as I'm just trying to make an 8 hour mix of my favorite songs, but you might want this information to help improve stems 2.0. I've included recordings with the Kick on and off in the zip file as well.

I'd prefer not to post a link to the zip in my google drive here though, as it would be giving away a song for free, which the composer wouldn't appreciate. Is there a way I can send the link somewhere?

I'm going to try swapping back the stems 1.0 file and see what that does. I'll post the results of that.

Posted Fri 02 Dec 22 @ 11:38 pm
As expected, the song plays fine with the Stem 1.0 in place.

And I should mention that I tried adjusting the Performance settings of "ultraLatency" to "No" (default yes), with no change to the click, and "latency" to "1000" (default 0) with no changes to the click. I also tried all combinations of the 2 settings.

Posted Fri 02 Dec 22 @ 11:46 pm
So I did a little more testing. The song with the issue I had converted from a flac to a 320 kbps AAC MP4, because I don't need a huge file on my phone while I'm walking to work. And that file was just handy to use in Virtual DJ because I can drag from the application I use to listen to music on my pc straight into Virtual DJ.

So, I took the original flac and Stem 2.0'd it. I then set it up to have exactly the same bpm and pois that the MP4 had. I replaced the MP4 with the flac in my automix and was surprised that there is still a click at the exact same point. The click isn't quite as pronounced as the MP4 version, it is a bit muffled, but it is there, and it is noticable.

So, since the flac can reproduce the issue, I'm going to see if I can grab a smaller segment of the song, maybe a minute, and see if the issue still occurs. If so I'll create a new zip and add a link here, since it is an 8 minute song. Hopefully the click is reproducable in a smaller segment. If a minute doesn't work, I'll keep trying to make it larger. But, if it requires it to be too large, I may not post an url here, as I don't want to give the song away to everyone.

Posted Sat 03 Dec 22 @ 9:46 pm
Rather than just saying "the song", why don't you tell us what it is?

That way others can try with the same song...

Posted Sat 03 Dec 22 @ 10:07 pm
So I disovered the cause of the issue. The song was not the cause, but it was:
The Thrillseekers - By Your Side (mind one remix)

So, I've farily new to using VirtualDJ, and the documentation appears to be the issue, which could easily be solved with a simple example. I ended up finding something that is sort of similar on the following page, which led me to solve the issue.
https://virtualdj.com/wiki/VDJScript

Most people probably don't have this issue, but because of the style of mix I'm making I did. I'm trying to make an 8 hour mix with as many songs I can pack into it, so some songs may only play a section for 30 seconds, and some may be a couple minutes. When mixing into this song, it had a bit too much bass, so I was trying to limit the bass with the following actions near the mix in point.

stem "Bass" 0
stem "Bass" 50
stem "Bass" 100

I discovered "volume 70%" on the page, so I tried changing these actions to have a percent sign, and the click disappeared from both the flac and MP4 with this change.

stem "Bass" 0%
stem "Bass" 50%
stem "Bass" 100%

The description about "stem" in the application, and on the website about the action verbs doesn't mention that a percent sign is needed. A simple fix would be to had a little example in the description of the action.

So, if anyone else encounters random clicks in things, it may be the same kind of issue, an action that seemed to work, but wasn't quite right.

Posted Sat 03 Dec 22 @ 10:52 pm
Ah, can't edit it. It should say "I'm fairly new", not "I've fairly new". That's what I get for modifying what I wrote and not proof reading.

Posted Sat 03 Dec 22 @ 10:55 pm
That last post won't make any sense until the previous one is moderated. I'm assuming the url in the content is the issue. They should make urls in the virtualdj.com domain safe.

Posted Sat 03 Dec 22 @ 10:57 pm