Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Where is metadata stored?
Is there some sort of list / table / diagram anywhere to say what metadata info is stored where? I want to see definitively what info is written into the tags, what is held in the database *on the music volume*, and what info is in the database / config files in the virtualdj folder on the laptop.

All my music is on one external volume. Whilst I mostly use one single laptop for everything I do have several that I switch between for various uses. I lust log out of one, log into another, plug in the drive and away I go.

But sometimes some of the data does not seem to come with me when I switch laptops. I have "Auto write tags" enabled on both, but sometimes I edit the tag data on one and it doesn't seem to appear on the other. Title, artist, year, etc all seem to be okay, but rating, colour, comments (I think?), grouping, etc seem to be a bit variable.

Also the other day I switched laptops and around half of the tracks I needed for that event vanished out of the database. A quick volume -> folder-> recurse -> Add to Search DB got them back, but where did they go? They were all on the external drive, and I thought the XML database was supposed to reside on the same volume as the files themselves.

So what is stored where?

Latest VDJ build, Mac Intel and latest MACOS on all platforms.

Posted Fri 30 Sep 22 @ 8:08 am
1) VirtualDJ does NOT store any info on the ID3Tags of the files. It can read and write them of course, but it doesn't actually store information there.
2) VirtualDJ stores information about your media files inside it's own database(s)
3) Each drive containing media files seen or used by VirtualDJ will have it's own database inside the "VirtualDJ" folder on the root of the drive. The only exception on that rule is the drive that holds your system. Typically that's the C drive on most Windows PCs. For media files located on the C drive, VirtualDJ will store the information inside its "Home Folder" (more about this in a few) inside the Documents\VirtualDJ directory. This database (on the home folder / C drive) also holds information about media used from network or other read only sources.
4) ALL other data that VirtualDJ needs / keeps are saved inside it's "Home Folder". Typically that's "Documents\VirtualDJ" folder. Inside that folder there are a few subfolders with names pretty much self-explanatory. That's also the folder that keeps your settings, inside a file named settings.xml
5) For the most part, the browser tree you see on the left side of VirtualDJ browser is also saved inside the home folder. However it is possible to save some of that structure on external drives as well. Without trying to get too complicated here, keep this in mind:
On the root of each drive there's a "VirtualDJ" folder.
Inside that folder there's a "database.xml" file that holds ALL info (including cues, playcounts e.t.c.) about the media files of the drive, and a "Cache" subfolder. The "Cache" subfolder holds the generated waveform preview for the tracks of the database.
IF you see a "Folders" subfolder, then that subfolder contains information about the browser tree.
It's contents and structure are the same as "Documents\VirtualDJ\Folders" folder, and when VirtualDJ runs it actually "merges" the data of these folders the same way it does with it's databases.

THE EXACT SAME RULES APPLY FOR MACS AS WELL

PS: When switching an external drive between Windows and MAC computers, make sure that both OS can read AND write on the drive.
MAC computers can read, but NOT write NTFS formatted drives.

Posted Fri 30 Sep 22 @ 8:55 am
glennHome userMember since 2021

Posted Mon 16 Jan 23 @ 2:34 am
all you have to do is look at the tag editor and you will see all the supported tags

its not that many but all that you need

Posted Mon 16 Jan 23 @ 2:45 am
I found an independent 3rd party on Reddit who figured all the tags out himself! Since it's not in the interest of the software companies to encourage cross-functionality. They want to keep all the user customizations in their proprietary XML file. This may help us select the best DJ software for the longevity of our music libraries: https://www.reddit.com/r/DJs/comments/n47nff/metadata_matrix/

Posted Mon 16 Jan 23 @ 2:51 am
pretty sure nobody selects a dj software based on the tags it supports but i could be wrong :-)

Posted Mon 16 Jan 23 @ 3:04 am
yep, wrong. I don't want to lose a big chunk of my metadata if i switch.

Posted Mon 16 Jan 23 @ 3:58 am
virtual dj will not eliminate tags it doesn't read :-)

the only time it writes them is if you tell it to or set tags to auto.

it copy tag information to its own database and works off that for the most part as you can see above in phantoms post

Posted Mon 16 Jan 23 @ 2:50 pm
serieBPRO InfinityMember since 2017
Sorry for using this thread but where is placed the VDJ configuration-backup settings directory in Windows 11?
Used to find it in Documents\VirtualDJ in Windows 10, but I can't find the folder in Win 11

Posted Tue 17 Jan 23 @ 2:42 pm
Press the cog at the bottom corner of the config screen

Posted Tue 17 Jan 23 @ 3:01 pm
serieBPRO InfinityMember since 2017
kradcliffe wrote :
Press 5he cog at the bottom corner of the config screen

Got it! Thank you mate

Posted Tue 17 Jan 23 @ 3:35 pm
The change of "Home" folder is not relevant to the OS. It's relevant to the version you're using.
So, for VirtualDJ 2023 onwards the location of "Home" folder has been changed for all NEW installations.
On a machine that VirtualDJ was upgraded to version 2023 from a previous one, the Documents folder is still used.

Posted Wed 18 Jan 23 @ 9:15 am