Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Browser
I'm having a problem dragging a virtual folder to the correct level inside the "Lists & Advice" folder. Whenever I drag it inside that folder, it wants to put it inside an existing subfolder; not just at the same level as all of the existing subfolders. I've tried it dozens of times trying to manipulate where it falls, but it won't recognize it as its own subfolder. Is something corrupted in that folder structure in the VDJ DB? I've attached some screen grabs of the folder [30th Birthday Party 1_05_19] I'm trying to move and an example of where it ends up.

Posted Mon 05 Sep 22 @ 1:07 am
I used to struggle with this too. After doing some experiments I found that it depends on where your mouse pointer is at the moment when you drag and drop in the folder list. From the manual take note of the red lines;

Drag and drop has to be at the extreme left or right of the folder list at the moment of release. If you carefully watch the red line while dragging and holding the mouse pointer, moving it left or right, it will change from a straight red line to a straight red line with a triangle on it as above.

I have to say it is very difficult to get it right.

Posted Mon 05 Sep 22 @ 7:36 am
One can create virtual folders anywhere, in root directory or as a subdirectory, or in a subdirectory of the subdirectory (2 levels down)

And one can move the virtual folders anywhere in the root directory .. OR to the sub-subdirectory (2 levels down).

But cannot move a Virtual Folder into a sub-directory (one level down)

see thread:
http://www.virtualdj.com/forums/237216/VirtualDJ_Technical_Support/Help__Moving_a_Folder__to_make_it_a_Subfolder_.html?search=virtual%20folder&page=1.45

(wow just noticed it the exact 2 year anniversary, to the day, of that post today.. how fitting :) )

Currently, the only way I know of moving a folder to a subdirectory (one level down) is to create the new Virtual Folder as a SubFolder (with same name), coping all the contents to that the new SubFolder, and Deleting the old (original) Virtual folder.

Or possibly editing the "order" files in the Documents/Virtual DJ/Folders directory when VDJ is closed. (not easy)

Would love to have that needed tweak, added to Virtual Folder, so one could move a Virtual Folder to a subdirectory ... a wish list item. :)

Posted Mon 05 Sep 22 @ 5:55 pm
Thanks, guys (especially IIDEEJAYII) to confirm that it is a known bug in VDJ. It also explains how my current list of subfolders got where they are; they were created inside my top level "Event Songs Requests-Lists" folder to begin with and did not need dragging in. I was going crazy figuring this out - if there were existing subfolders present, why couldn't I just drag in a new one!!?? So, in the future, I need to make sure I am in the correct top level virtual folder when I make a new virtual sub-folder (wow - good to know).

Posted Mon 05 Sep 22 @ 8:00 pm
djles.co.uk wrote :

Drag and drop has to be at the extreme left or right of the folder list at the moment of release. If you carefully watch the red line while dragging and holding the mouse pointer, moving it left or right, it will change from a straight red line to a straight red line with a triangle on it as above.

I have to say it is very difficult to get it right.

Ohhhhhh! I was struggling with this too. Thank you for this 👍
Thanks to your advice, I managed to move my folder on the same level as the other folder in my tree by putting the mouse on the right (because on the left, it would have been nested).
This is so counter-intuitive !!! 🤯
(Yes, I should have RTFM for sure... But a good UI should be as intuitive as possible., shouldn't it?)

Posted Wed 11 Jan 23 @ 8:45 pm