Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Rane ONE Crossfader Issue
Hello,

Some months ago I upgraded from the Pioneer DDJ-400 to the Rane ONE, and I've been enjoying it quite a bit. There is one unusual thing that I don't ever recall happening with the DDJ-400. Sometimes when I'm switching between channels using the crossfader, I will hear the music on both channels playing (as if in open position). If I move the crossfader slightly away from the edge (open) and back again (closed), then it shuts off the other channel as intended.. This doesn't happen all too often, but I find that the more I play, the more likely it is to happen. It also happens on either side. I recently deep-cleaned my unit of dust and debris, including the crossfader, but it still happened again.

I'm trying to determine if this is a hardware issue or a software issue (Virtual DJ). I've tried tweaking to avoid latency and glitchiness, and I have the latest version of the Rane ONE Control Panel. I have yet to test it out on alternate DJ software (like Serato); I'm not very familiar with other software to do that, either. My music library is also exceptionally large, so once in a blue I might get some lag or stutter when loading up a song (again, not too frequent). That crossfader issue is the greater nuisance. I do wonder if this can be caused by computer performance issues or latency issue, or possibly some kind of issue within Virtual DJ.

There's also a weird glitch I see from time to time on Virtual DJ as well. I use the stems Advanced EQ mode, and once in a blue moon one of the equalizer knobs will change from KICK to BASS, and back to KICK... all on its own. This doesn't affect me at all, but it does make me wonder if Virtual DJ or computer issues may be the source of some of this weirdness. I should mention that I am a Windows user.

All help is greatly appreciated.

Posted Tue 10 May 22 @ 6:51 am
I don't know if Rane One has a similar setting, but 72 does. It's the crossfader cut lag setting that you need to adjust (in your case increase)
That setting basically tells the unit how much distance on either side of the crossfader should be considered as a solid "closed/open" position.
Check the ASIO panel of the device to see if it has such an utility setting.

Posted Tue 10 May 22 @ 10:25 am
@ PhantomDeejay - so far I only see an option to calibrate the fader (moving it like when calibrating a game joystick). I called Rane tech support and they suggested to try resetting the midi options on VDJ. Since I could not find those options specifically, I have factory reset VDJ entirely.

The weird thing about this issue is that it only happens occasionally. Most of the time, opening and closing the crossfader does what it's supposed to do - shuts off the opposite channel.Yet once in a while, sliding it to one side DOESN'T shut off the opposite channel. It's an easy issue to deal with, because I just have to move the slider back inwards a little and then reclose it, but why deal with it? I haven't been able to determine any pattern that leads up to this.

Is there any way I can somehow record/retrieve technical log (and look for timestamps) in order for someone to determine what might be going on? I'd like to log every session I do, and then provide the ones that actually have the issue, with a timestamp if such a thing is available.

I know the Rane ONE is a much newer controller compared to the DDJ-400. As such, it may be possible that the ONE's VDJ programming isn't as polished as the 400's, and will probably improve with time. Or maybe VDJ has perfect integration of the ONE, and it is in fact my unit that is experiencing an issue..

Posted Tue 10 May 22 @ 10:35 pm
You should calibrate the crossfader then since it offers such an option.
Your issue is that when the crossfader reaches the end (let's say all way to the left) it may not always send 00 as it's current value, but let's say 01.
This means that depending on your current scratch curve it may introduce an audio bleeding.
Moving the crossfader again may make it to correctly send 00 when it reaches leftmost position.

The calibration of the crossfader is a process where the firmware of the device reads the "position" of far left and far right side of the crossfader and then it adjusts the values it sends in order to make sure that you always get 00 on far left and 7F on far right.

So, you should definitely calibrate your crossfader.

Also there's no MIDI "reset" in VirtualDJ (only mapper reset) and there's no need to take any logs for that.
It's quite clear to us what happens.
To put it in another perspective.. Let's say that by accident your crossfader warps a little. Not much. Maybe 0.5mm (around 0.02 inches) It would be hardly possible to tell visually if that happens.
Now imagine that since the crossfader is warped when it reaches its end position it stops before the location it should stop (would stop if not warped). So now instead of sending 00 as it's current value it sends another small value.

I hope it gets clear now

Posted Wed 11 May 22 @ 8:03 am
If you aren't using the microphone knobs, try scripting/ mapping those to stems, and leave your HI/MID/LOW as regular EQ knobs. I've also made a topic for the RANE ONE optimal settings. I hope it helps.

BreakDJ420 wrote :
Hello,

Some months ago I upgraded from the Pioneer DDJ-400 to the Rane ONE, and I've been enjoying it quite a bit. There is one unusual thing that I don't ever recall happening with the DDJ-400. Sometimes when I'm switching between channels using the crossfader, I will hear the music on both channels playing (as if in open position). If I move the crossfader slightly away from the edge (open) and back again (closed), then it shuts off the other channel as intended.. This doesn't happen all too often, but I find that the more I play, the more likely it is to happen. It also happens on either side. I recently deep-cleaned my unit of dust and debris, including the crossfader, but it still happened again.

I'm trying to determine if this is a hardware issue or a software issue (Virtual DJ). I've tried tweaking to avoid latency and glitchiness, and I have the latest version of the Rane ONE Control Panel. I have yet to test it out on alternate DJ software (like Serato); I'm not very familiar with other software to do that, either. My music library is also exceptionally large, so once in a blue I might get some lag or stutter when loading up a song (again, not too frequent). That crossfader issue is the greater nuisance. I do wonder if this can be caused by computer performance issues or latency issue, or possibly some kind of issue within Virtual DJ.

There's also a weird glitch I see from time to time on Virtual DJ as well. I use the stems Advanced EQ mode, and once in a blue moon one of the equalizer knobs will change from KICK to BASS, and back to KICK... all on its own. This doesn't affect me at all, but it does make me wonder if Virtual DJ or computer issues may be the source of some of this weirdness. I should mention that I am a Windows user.

All help is greatly appreciated.

Posted Thu 12 May 22 @ 2:45 pm