Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Gain control issue
djvjwpPRO InfinityMember since 2008

DDJ SX3 & VDJ latest ver 8.5-64 b6839.
when adding a new track to either deck vdj auto sets the gain on that deck to 12 0'clock, while the gain on my DDJ SX3 is at a different position, which means that every time I need to adjust the gain via my controller I have to adjust it up to or past 12 o clock to be able to use it?
How do I setup VDJ so it leaves the gain function to my controller as it used to?
Hope this explanation makes sense, any help appreciated.

Posted Sat 12 Mar 22 @ 1:49 pm
gainSliderIncludesAutoGain = Yes

Posted Sat 12 Mar 22 @ 2:15 pm
Thanks for suggestion I will try this later in Club and let you know how I get on.

Appreciated !!

Posted Sat 12 Mar 22 @ 4:37 pm
Hi
So that didn't work, I tried all the options, Auto, Auto+Remember, off etc, none worked, its a little frustrating but it definitely must be a setting somewhere?
VDJ still sets each deck gain to 12 o' clock loading each deck regardless of where the gains are on my ddj sx3..

Any other advice or suggestions appreciated..

Posted Sun 13 Mar 22 @ 2:50 pm
djvjwp wrote :

VDJ still sets each deck gain to 12 o' clock

Yes - that's what it's supposed to do. Leave autogain on, and just let VDJ control the gain. You shouldn't need to touch the gain knobs. Just set them at 12 o'clock and leave them alone.

Posted Sun 13 Mar 22 @ 3:13 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
If you keep gainSliderIncludesAutogain to yes then you could set autogain to no. That way you would have to remember to put the gain on your controller back to 12 o clock manually after each song though

Posted Sun 13 Mar 22 @ 4:03 pm
if you are just used to adjusting gains, turn the autogain off.
I am that type of DJ also but I had to retrain myself once DJing went digital because of auto-gain.
I rarely adjust gains now, I learned to process my songs before adding them to VDJ. All my library is set to .92db or as close to that without clipping.
Its to the point soundmen at some gigs ask me how i get such a clean signal when they are used to having to backdown the dj because they always clipping.

Posted Mon 14 Mar 22 @ 4:48 am
Hi to all..
Thanks for the input but I still rather adjust my gains via my controller just like I used to be able to with my original ddj sx..
I don't see the advantage of vdj setting every track to 12 o clock when there is a controller connected.. I have tried the auto gain off function also it doesn't change anything for me..
I'm wondering do need a fresh install of vdj..?

Posted Mon 14 Mar 22 @ 9:53 pm
djvjwp wrote :
Hi to all..
Thanks for the input but I still rather adjust my gains via my controller just like I used to be able to with my original ddj sx..
I don't see the advantage of vdj setting every track to 12 o clock when there is a controller connected.. I have tried the auto gain off function also it doesn't change anything for me..
I'm wondering do need a fresh install of vdj..?

no.. YOU HAVE a software controller... you need a hardware controller.

Posted Tue 15 Mar 22 @ 10:09 pm
Hi
This has really only come to light over the passed few months as previous versions of VDJ, I didn't have this issue, I was able to have total control of individual channel gains in VDJ via my Ddj Sx3 & previous to that ddj sx, what has changed I suppose is the question, I don't have the answer at the moment?

Posted Wed 16 Mar 22 @ 12:57 pm
@BURNYABAD

Not sure what you mean, vdj is controlled via midi, my ddj sx3 is a midi controller, something has changed over the passed updates somewhere & I cannot figure out where..

Posted Wed 16 Mar 22 @ 1:49 pm
Check any internal menu settings on the controller. You can also rename settings.xml in the Documents>VirtualDJ folder then restart and see if it's better. It will create a new session back to default.

Posted Wed 16 Mar 22 @ 2:06 pm
OK, I will see of there is any updates availible ie (firmware) on the pioneer side of things also..

Thanks

Posted Wed 16 Mar 22 @ 4:01 pm
Fixed , fingers crossed..

Ok so there is a setting on the controller tab: ControllerTakeoverMode.
It has three options "Instant, Pickup & Gradual".
By setting it to "instant" the gain control is back in my controllers hands(figuratively speaking).
There is also a setting underneath it called : ControllerTakeoverModePitch.
This has the same options, so just for good measure I have set this to "instant" also.

Why this option is in VDJ I have no idea, it serves no purpose only to slow you down, IDK?

Anyways It has worked with my spare controller so I will try it in the club later with my DDJ SX3 if it works happy days, if it doesn't well, its back to the drawing board(but I'm pretty confident it will).

Thanks for all the advice & ideas any way.

Posted Wed 16 Mar 22 @ 6:06 pm
djvjwp wrote :
@BURNYABAD

Not sure what you mean, vdj is controlled via midi, my ddj sx3 is a midi controller, something has changed over the passed updates somewhere & I cannot figure out where..

All the new controllers starting with the sx3 are using software midi control. Older controllers like the SZ2 and RZ from pioneer used hardware midi control. The sx2 used hardware control I believe. Software controllers are cheaper to make and rely on the software to manage gain eq and effects functions. Hardware controllers do all of this without software intervention.

Posted Wed 16 Mar 22 @ 8:48 pm
I had the SX2 and it was software control.

Absolutely hated that thing.

Posted Wed 16 Mar 22 @ 8:53 pm
I love the Sx3, had SX, its, still going..

Posted Wed 16 Mar 22 @ 11:31 pm