Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: is there a "date added" field?
Field name in Apple Music and Serato is "date added"... what's the equivalent to this in VDJ?

At first I thought it was "file date", but that seems to change if I play the track. And then I thought it might be "first seen", but those dates don't correspond either.

appreciate the help

Posted Tue 21 Dec 21 @ 4:41 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
First Seen is indeed the date the song was added to the VDJ database.

Posted Tue 21 Dec 21 @ 4:54 am
ahhh... ok that makes sense.

So in my case... I've been using apple's music (iTunes) to audition and tag my music as I download them, before playing them in Serato. Is there a way to have VDJ read that instead? Because now that I've switched over, VDJ "first saw" all of my music on the same day.

Posted Tue 21 Dec 21 @ 6:21 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
No, there's currently no way to import that data.

The File Date could be more accurate, as it will show the file creation date.
Using the file date column can also be a bit slower since this information is read from the files every time and not from the database.

Posted Tue 21 Dec 21 @ 6:44 am
"file date" in VDJ is definitely "date modified" in iTunes and there are alot of songs that have 12/31/79 as the value for whatever reason. So this field won't help me.

is there no work around to point to this field? Seems like it should be doable if the metadata exists.

Posted Thu 23 Dec 21 @ 1:23 am
Also very interested by this "added date" feature because it helps me a lot to organize my tracks (from new ones to the older ones).
Actually this is the only thing that keeps me away from using VDJ every time.

Like said previously, the File Date is not a solution since the file can be modified externally (metadata updates in Itunes for example) so it will mess the order.

If VDJ can add this info (all other Softwares have it) or provide a tool to sync it, I will be able to ditch completely Serato !

Posted Mon 21 Nov 22 @ 11:19 pm
If you read the thread carefully you will see that VirtualDJ has the "First Seen" field.
This field is the date that the track was "first seen" by VirtualDJ (meaning added to the database)

If you start using VirtualDJ today for the very first time, then all your tracks until now will get today's date as their "first seen" date.
However, as you keep using the software, new tracks will get different dates and therefore you'll be able to use the "first seen" field in more capacity.

PS: Generally speaking we advise users to avoid using "File Date" field.
That's because it's not stored on the database and it has to be read by the file(s) each time you browse them. Which, even with SSD's, can slow down performance when browsing folders with hundreds or thousands of files.

To get the "First seen" field on your browser, just right click on a header and check the field to be visible.
The data is allready there.

Posted Tue 22 Nov 22 @ 8:49 am
First Seen is not exactly the feature I need, let me explain:

I usually buy my music from iTunes and use iTunes as my main library management since the earlier 2010. I started using VDJ since only 2 years. So the first time I opened VDJ, all my 100k + tracks get the same Frist Seen date with a completely random order.

I buy hundred of tracks each month, sometimes I just buy the tracks and not use the VDJ for many days.

So then when I open VDJ all the latest tracks have the same First Seen date and again the order is random.

Actually I don't see the added value of First Seen feature. The Added Date info can be read by the other software, why it's not possible in VDJ ? This helps me so much for the track history and play the latest hot tracks by time frames.

Are they custom tools or scripts to manipulate VDJ libraries ?

Posted Tue 22 Nov 22 @ 12:43 pm
I can't answer all your questions, but since I mostly use VirtualDJ for my library management, "First Seen" serves exactly the purpose you're talking about (for me)
When I get new songs, I bring them inside VirtualDJ, almost in daily basis. This means that "First Seen" is accurate enough (for me)

Also, VirtualDJ database is an XML file.
Therefore you should be able to edit it externally, but PLEASE keep backups and be extremely carefull if you wish to go that route.
However I must strongly advise that this is NOT recommended.
Finally there are also VDJ Script actions that can help you set database fileds, but I can't see how that would help in your particular case. Same goes for the ebility to batch edit database fields from the Tag Editor.

PS: If you try to just open VirtualDJ daily and just load all the new files in the database (should only take a couple of minutes each time) doesn't that workflow cover your needs ?

Posted Tue 22 Nov 22 @ 1:21 pm