Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: macos out of application memory and crashing
Hello, I have a larger collection with about 76000 songs in it. Currently it sits on a secondary partition of a 2TB internal ssd on my 2015 macbook pro. I am running bigsur 11.6. I am unable to analyze my entire collection, because around 45000 tracks in I get a dialgue from my mac saying that it is out of application memory, and at the time Virtual DJ is using over 130GB of memory. I have nearly 300GB of space free on my boot partition, and even more on the secondary partition. So, while that is a large number, it is still not a disk space issue.

After it reports that it is out of application memory, often, soon after, my mac just reboots itself, which is a bit concerning. I'd like that to not happen in front of people.
I am using v6.5 b6677

I have not been able to find any topics about this by searching or on google and was hoping someone here had a solution. I'm sure reducing my library would be a good start, but currently, I work with another guy and am trying to add his collection to my own for ease of sharing a setup, and I have already pruned it by about 50000 tracks. I'd prefer not to have to cut back in half again and I don't know of any limits to library size in Virtual DJ. If there are some, that would be good information to know as well.

Thank you in advance for any help!

Posted Fri 29 Oct 21 @ 5:25 pm
OK, so a little more info and MAYBE a fix. I've been working on this for a bit and just tried some things.
I cleared out my entire search DB, and remade it, as it still had the aforementioned trimmed out tracks in it.

If I select my itunes library, right click and goto properties, it shows 30000 ish songs unanalyzed. When i click analyze it starts blowing up in memory almost immediately. However, I tried making a virtual folder where in searchdb = 1 and scanned = 0, which returns the same 30000 ish tracks. but when i tell it to batch analyze them, it does not seem to be blowing up in memory and is letting me proceed.

I will follow up if it completes or crashes. In the mean time any other information anyone has, if they have experienced it before, would be awesome.

Posted Fri 29 Oct 21 @ 5:45 pm
It just crashed again, i did not see it do a memory error this time, but it did reload and said my virtual dj database was corrupt, so perhaps that is related to whatever is happening.

I'm really trying hard to migrate from Serato because I like the Stems features, and video features, etc. Fortunately, I have that to fall back on until I get this ironed out.

Posted Fri 29 Oct 21 @ 6:46 pm
And more information, before the last crash, I saw it was hung up analyzing one file. I checked, and that file also would not play in iTunes. I deleted it, and now things appear to be going a bit better. Hopefully, that was the issue. I'm following up in case it helps someone in the future. I'm still open to any thoughts or suggestions as well.

Posted Fri 29 Oct 21 @ 7:41 pm
NicotuxHome userMember since 2014
Don't k now, but windows version does exactly the same as far as there is a VP9 2K or more or some other file types in question VDJ starts to swap even there was a lot of memory available
seem due to video size > driver possibilities (NV12 not available) when available with same Codec but full HD
i.e.: hardware limit is 4096pix wide for display and video is 5888x2160
however this would not have to crash (but it ens by)

Posted Fri 29 Oct 21 @ 7:51 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
If you still happen to have the file that caused the issue it would be useful if you could send it to me so we can have a look.

@nicotux: During analysing video is not decoded at all, so not very likely to be related.

Posted Sat 30 Oct 21 @ 6:01 am
I don't, I deleted it immediately, and I found another. If I find another one, after having read this, I will get it to you. The behavior is, it gets to 100% on the file and then hangs. Other files keep processing, but the memory footprint goes crazy.
That said, I will look for it in a backup, what is the best way to send you the file?

Posted Mon 01 Nov 21 @ 4:57 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
Thanks, sent you a private message.

Posted Mon 01 Nov 21 @ 5:43 am
Was a solution found for this problem?

Posted Mon 13 Dec 21 @ 4:02 am