Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Upgrading to v2021 from v7.1
Yes, I know, long time overdue... but v7 was just stable for me. Don't fix what's not broken... At anyrate, looking for a little guidance on migrating from v7 to 2021.

Two main issues I'm concerned about initially:
- History: I found that I needed to move files from Virtual/Tracklistings to VirtualDJ/History. However in the folder list it groups these into Subfolder-Year and then Subfolder-Month. Can I remove these sub-folder groupings and have a single list again? At the very least month. I do less than 25 gigs a year so I don't need that level of detailed grouping. If I'm looking for something specific, I'll spend 3x the amount of time looking by year/month rather than scrolling a longer list...

- Database v6.xml will that work okay in v2021? Yes, I can make a backup and try it on my own - but just looking out for any errors or compatibility issues before I start down a path of mucking everything up...

Anything else I should be on the lookout for in the transition?

Thanks in advance!

Posted Sun 03 Oct 21 @ 9:15 pm
No thoughts?

Posted Thu 07 Oct 21 @ 11:15 am
the old database should get imported to the new
I cant remember if history gets imported but it might.

been a long time since i changed from vdj 7

Posted Thu 07 Oct 21 @ 11:45 am
1) No you can't undo History grouping. However you can "hack" the grouping algorithm if you rename your history files to include a letter in the beginning of the name (since then VirtualDJ won't be able to parse it's date). The opposite (include text after the date) won't have the same results since VirtualDJ has taken that into consideration.
So, "A2021-10-07" won't get grouped. But "2021-10-07 Some Text" will.

2) The database of VirtualDJ 8.x is different than the old ver 6. VirtualDJ will READ and IMPORT the old database to the new format, and from that point on, it will use only the new format.
For the import to occur, VirtualDJ should find the ver6 database on a drive, but not a ver8 (it's not called ver8 BTW - it's called just "database.xml")

Posted Thu 07 Oct 21 @ 12:00 pm