Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Scan - Page: 1
Is there a way to have VDJ scan my library folders everytime I open the program?

Posted Fri 24 Sep 21 @ 5:22 am
Can you please elaborate on what you want to happen, it isn't clear from your description?

Posted Fri 24 Sep 21 @ 7:55 am
kradcliffe wrote :
Can you please elaborate on what you want to happen, it isn't clear from your description?

When I open vdj I want my library folder scanned for new files.

Posted Sat 25 Sep 21 @ 5:37 am
kradcliffe wrote :

When I open vdj I want my library folder scanned for new files.

Posted Sat 25 Sep 21 @ 5:42 am
Is there an won't?

Posted Mon 27 Sep 21 @ 1:06 pm
Sorry you're not making sense at all.

Whan you say library folder is that a specific folder on your PC or what?

Posted Mon 27 Sep 21 @ 1:13 pm
I think what they are saying is, if they have a "music" folder.

The use VDJ and all's good.

They later remove 8 tracks and add 16 to that music folder, they want vdj to scan the folder for changes...similar I guess to what something like media monkey does.

Posted Tue 28 Sep 21 @ 10:07 am
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
recurse your root music folders and visit them [autoSearchDB setting needs to be on]

Posted Tue 28 Sep 21 @ 11:22 am
Wall-EEEEEEE wrote :
I think what they are saying is, if they have a "music" folder.

The use VDJ and all's good.

They later remove 8 tracks and add 16 to that music folder, they want vdj to scan the folder for changes...similar I guess to what something like media monkey does.

Thank you, I just didn't get what he wasn't understanding. I kept it simple.
Not only MediaMonkey but serato and traktor has this feature.
I love VDJ but a lot of things aren't done as efficiently as it should. It's like Dos 3.1 vs Windows 95

Posted Tue 28 Sep 21 @ 2:13 pm
Djratedxxx919 wrote :
Is there an won't?

What's simple about that as it makes absolutely no sense to me whatsoever?

Posted Tue 28 Sep 21 @ 2:15 pm
locodog wrote :
recurse your root music folders and visit them [autoSearchDB setting needs to be on]

That doesn't work I'm in the process of organizing 3tb of music and even if I recurse I still have to go to my drives and add to searchDB and it's getting tiring because I have 3 hard drives. Is there an easier work around?

Posted Tue 28 Sep 21 @ 2:22 pm
Djratedxxx919 wrote :
locodog wrote :

That doesn't work I'm in the process of organizing 3tb of music and even if I recurse I still have to go to my drives and add to searchDB and it's getting tiring because I have 3 hard drives. Is there an easier work around?

1. Are you sure that you have "autoSearchDB" setting set to yes ?
2. Recursing a 3TB drive will take a long time to complete (even if it's SSD). Are you sure you wait enough for the recurse operation to complete? If you browse a different folder / location before recurse finishes, recurse is cancelled and it stops digging through your folders.

Djratedxxx919 wrote :

I love VDJ but a lot of things aren't done as efficiently as it should. It's like Dos 3.1 vs Windows 95

Well for sure I would not want to have my program scan 3 x 3TB drives for new files every time I open the program. I guess I'm used to a different work flow, but I would want my program to scan those drives only when I tell it too (in other words when I have added/removed/moved media files on them)
So, in my workflow I do the "recurse/add to search db" thing when I'm at home organizing my music library.
Then when I go to work I don't have to worry that on start (or restart) of the app I will have to wait 5 mins before the program is done with reading 9TB worth of drive space..
But that's me! The DOS user :P

Posted Tue 28 Sep 21 @ 5:05 pm
PhantomDeejay wrote :
Djratedxxx919 wrote :
locodog wrote :

1. Are you sure that you have "autoSearchDB" setting set to yes ?
2. Recursing a 3TB drive will take a long time to complete (even if it's SSD). Are you sure you wait enough for the recurse operation to complete? If you browse a different folder / location before recurse finishes, recurse is cancelled and it stops digging through your folders.

Djratedxxx919 wrote :

Well for sure I would not want to have my program scan 3 x 3TB drives for new files every time I open the program. I guess I'm used to a different work flow, but I would want my program to scan those drives only when I tell it too (in other words when I have added/removed/moved media files on them)
So, in my workflow I do the "recurse/add to search db" thing when I'm at home organizing my music library.
Then when I go to work I don't have to worry that on start (or restart) of the app I will have to wait 5 mins before the program is done with reading 9TB worth of drive space..
But that's me! The DOS user :P
I said I have 3tb over 3 drives that means each drive is 1tb.
As I've been doing the dos3.1 way it doesn't take 5minutes why would automating the process take 5min? A recurse is basically a scan... I think the time would be the same just easier.

Posted Tue 28 Sep 21 @ 11:53 pm
I got close to what I'm trying to do using favorite folders and auto scan.

Posted Wed 29 Sep 21 @ 1:58 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
An option to add folders to be monitored will be added in one of the next updates

Posted Wed 29 Sep 21 @ 7:52 am
Adion wrote :
An option to add folders to be monitored will be added in one of the next updates

Thank You.

Posted Fri 08 Oct 21 @ 10:58 pm
adamPRO SubscriberMember since 2022
Adion wrote :

This is brilliant - thank you! Whereabouts do I find this?

Posted Mon 13 Feb 23 @ 1:25 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
It has not been added yet

Posted Mon 13 Feb 23 @ 8:43 am
adamPRO SubscriberMember since 2022
Even a custom button would be great, or we can add it to oninit if we so please. Eg, something like "browser select D:\Music && add to searchDB && refresh_tags"

Posted Thu 09 Mar 23 @ 3:11 am
user25889780 wrote :
Even a custom button would be great, or we can add it to oninit if we so please. Eg, something like "browser select D:\Music && add to searchDB && refresh_tags"

How would I add this to this oninit area?

Posted Thu 09 Mar 23 @ 3:59 pm
67%