Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: search bar
I'have tried to deal with this search bar for many years and I cant still stand it. I write either a title or an artist name and it gives me a lot of useless information. Please fix the wild cards in the search bar.

Posted Thu 16 Sep 21 @ 4:21 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
What kind of useless information do you get?

Posted Thu 16 Sep 21 @ 4:55 am
NicotuxHome userMember since 2014
the search is very lax
it is matching everything that contains the letters in any of the selected columns
some wild cards are allowed . ? *

looking for "AB" will match *A*B* in any of the selected columns

you can unselect everything but artist and title by a right click to the options cog left of the search bar

asked for regexes for a long time for better match (but it's "too developper oriented")

Posted Thu 16 Sep 21 @ 4:56 am
'AB' (without a space) searches for '*ab*'
'A [space] B' searches for ( '*a*' AND '*b*' )

So, I'm not sure how you concluded that it searches '*a*b*'
'AB' will not return "Ace of Base" as a result, but 'A [space] B' will
'AB' will return "ABBA", but not "Ace of Base"
'BA' will return both "ABBA" and "Ace of Base"

Also 'A [space] B' will return "Bell Amour" as a result. This should not be the case if it was searching '*a*b*' since it would expect to find the letter B AFTER the letter A

So, in order to recap, VirtualDJ search engine works like this:

Search string:
A B C D E

Actual search: *A* AND *B* AND *C* AND *D* AND *E*
And the result can be present on ANY combination of the available search fields.
So, if Artist has A & B, Title has C, Album has D and comment has E, (and those fields are active for search) the file will appear on the search results.
In other words, there's no need for all strings (A B C D E) to be present on ONE search field for the file to be included on the results.

Finally while regex (or even plain SQL) is powerful and could have a protentional usage, I can't imagine myself typing regex or SQL while on a gig.
While organizing your library, filter folder queries are close enough to SQL and should be easier to understand and more than 99% of the users will ever need.

Posted Thu 16 Sep 21 @ 11:19 am
NicotuxHome userMember since 2014
just because AB was in one of the fields active for search...but not exposed as a column (filepath)
Goog example of what can cause confusion, but it's not the fault of VDJ search engine

Posted Thu 16 Sep 21 @ 2:26 pm
Search has always worked fine for me. never had any issues with it. Just make sure the search criteria is correct for your tags and collection.

Posted Thu 16 Sep 21 @ 3:13 pm
bogartPRO InfinityMember since 2004
I have a couple titles that will not appear within search. .
Example: Country in me results start with Til nothing.15 minutes of shame and a list of others.
Even using * will not give me the title unless I scroll down many titles.

Posted Fri 17 Sep 21 @ 2:36 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
You can add quotes around multiple words:
"country in me"
to make sure vdj searches for the exact title, rather than all songs containing 'country', 'in' and 'me' in any place

Posted Fri 17 Sep 21 @ 2:55 pm