Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Pitch/Tempo changing by itself
I have a problem with the pitch/tempo changing by itself.

Typically, this happens after cueing a song, then pressing play when ready, the track sometimes plays at the wrong tempo or speed. It can happen on any deck. The Pitch Bend controls are set to zero, but the tempo or speed seems to have a mind of its own. This happens with roughly one in a dozen songs.

In addition to this, I was playing a few songs with the Automix function and it happens there too. In one instance, the end of a song started slowing down by itself, as if somebody was slowly moving the Pitch Bend slider.

Thanks if anybody can throw any light on this.

Posted Tue 07 Sep 21 @ 10:30 am
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
check setting smartPlay

Posted Tue 07 Sep 21 @ 10:32 am
NicotuxHome userMember since 2014
I Do not know if it's really the same issue but
this occurred to me during BigbaRomilly's gig last WE with no smartPlay or other related settings set
none of pitch slider or speed display or slider were affected
read values were correct and stable
only songs started to sound like an old distended audio K7 or magnetic tape
like if samplerate was adjusting with CPU frequency range
(was in 80's style, this was not a real problem, looked more vintage ;)
but yes this is sometimes happening after some time up

Posted Tue 07 Sep 21 @ 11:14 am
Thanks LOCODOG and NICOTUX.

I'll check the smartPlay setting. I'm not in front of the controller at the moment but I'll report back.

I do wonder if there's something more happening here as I don't seem to be able to disable the Sync either. I'll go through the mapping again - probably best to disable for now.

Posted Tue 07 Sep 21 @ 11:35 am
I finally got around to checking the smartplay setting in the mapping. Unfortunately, no amount of editing in the mapping has made any difference.

I have a wedding in two days time and about a quarter of the songs I cue/play end up being at the wrong speed or tempo.

Is there a simple setting I can use which will disable the sliders, or is there anything else I can do to avoid embarrassment at the weekend?

Thanks.

John.

Edit: I should add that I use the American Audio VMS5.0 controller.

Posted Thu 07 Oct 21 @ 3:24 pm
I think I may have solved this.

Perhaps it's nothing to do with the mapping after all, but I think it's more to do with the basic settings on the interface itself.

There is an option for DECK SETTINGS where you can select or deselect AUTO MATCH BPM and AUTO MATCH KEY. It's the tiniest little cog between the OUT and CUE buttons (left deck) and that has solved the issue ... so far.

There is just one other minor annoyance which I would like to get fixed if possible and I suspect this IS something to do with the mapping. The volume adjusts itself a second or two after starting a song. This must be some auto-levelling function, which I haven't been able to locate so far.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks again.

John.

Posted Thu 07 Oct 21 @ 5:19 pm
yeah that was the smartPlay "setting"

next thing you want to look at is autogain

Posted Thu 07 Oct 21 @ 5:43 pm
Thanks Locodog.

I haven't found the autogain setting yet. Any clues where it is please?

Posted Thu 07 Oct 21 @ 5:46 pm

Posted Thu 07 Oct 21 @ 7:58 pm
All done. Thanks.

Posted Sat 09 Oct 21 @ 11:20 am