Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: XDJ-XZ combining VDJ and standalone USB
Hi all, I have got a XDJ-XZ and want to use the standalone USB mode for backup purposes, or some occasional materials.
I have read this from the VDJ hardware manual:

Both sides set to standalone (USB). When both left and right sides have tracks loaded from the USB sources, the unit offers:
Mixer Channel 3 : Audio from VirtualDJ Deck 3 when CH3 INPUT switch is set to computer position, or from external audio source connected to CH3 Inputs at the rear panel when set to LINE or PHONO.
Mixer Channel 1 and 2 : Audio from the USB sources.
Mixer Channel 4 : Audio from VirtualDJ Deck 3 when CH4 INPUT switch is set to computer position, or from external audio source connected to CH4 Inputs at the rear panel when set to LINE or PHONO.

The left and right Deck panels of the XDJ-XZ will control the tracks loaded from USB sources and there is no deck switch available from the SHORTCUT view. The Displays will offer waves and information only from the USB tracks

Even if this tells that I can use the mixer to control two decks on VDJ (CH 3 and CH4) there is not possible to control the decks in VDJ by the XDJ?
There is no deck switch functionality, for quick change of deck control, but is there another solution?

Posted Tue 17 Aug 21 @ 6:22 am
You got it right.
The firmware of the device does not allow you to control 2 USB and 2 software decks at the same time.
It's just not how Pioneer designed the unit to be used.

More details can be found here:
https://www.virtualdj.com/manuals/hardware/pioneer/xdjxz/advanced.html

For an emergency situation you can switch one side first to USB, then the other side, and then back to PC if you wish.
But controlling 2+2 decks (not mixer audio) is just not possible

Posted Tue 17 Aug 21 @ 7:29 am
Pioneer got SO much heat on this when the controller was released - but they haven't caved and "fixed" it yet
Maybe it's going to be the big selling point for a future XDJ-XZ2 :)

Posted Tue 17 Aug 21 @ 7:41 am
As long as it is possible to switch over to USB for say an emergency or special occasion, its fine for me.
It's not "instant" but it is still possible to switch it over.
I can live with that.

Posted Tue 17 Aug 21 @ 12:00 pm