Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Order Number in Title
Is there a way to change how numbers are ordered in the browser by the title? I'll change them in the track number to get them order, but does it really need to be programed like this?

Posted Mon 16 Aug 21 @ 8:58 pm
NicotuxHome userMember since 2014
In browser it seems not, even an "order" column can show (I do not remember how I got it though) it is always 1... whatever the sort order can be
There is no way to reorder tracks in "songs" pan from normal or favorite or virtual or filter folder but "lists and advices"
This is working by simple drag and drop for playlists when open as a folder
In any playlist in sideview (vertical sidelist or horizontal sidelist and automix and karaoke) this is a feature

Posted Mon 16 Aug 21 @ 9:45 pm
Yup,. looks like just manually moving it it's going to have to make do. Weird numbering sorting..

Posted Tue 17 Aug 21 @ 9:11 pm
Nicotux wrote :
In browser it seems not, even an "order" column can show (I do not remember how I got it though) it is always 1... whatever the sort order can be
There is no way to reorder tracks in "songs" pan from normal or favorite or virtual or filter folder but "lists and advices"
This is working by simple drag and drop for playlists when open as a folder
In any playlist in sideview (vertical sidelist or horizontal sidelist and automix and karaoke) this is a feature

Actually that's not entirely true.
1) You can have an "order" column visible, but that's only when browsing Playlists or Virtual Folders
2) An "order" column has no real meaning for a system/physical folder, a favorite folder (which is a shortcut to a physical folder) or a filter folder.
For physical folders an "order" column would just show how filenames are sorted alphabetically. Therefore it's of no real use. On the other hand, Filter folders can change contents dynamically. Therefore an "order: column has also no real meaning there as well.
3) When "order" column is visible and you sort by that column, you can drag the files around and they will re-arrange. That's BOTH for Virtual Folders AND Playlists. And you can do that even in the main "songs" area of the browser. There's no need to load the VF/PL on the sidelist.
4) The "order" column on the above cases typically displays the order in which the files are added inside the VF or PL. When a VF or PL is not sorted by "order" column and you drag new files inside them, the new files get added at the end of the VF/PL. However if the VF/PL is sorted at the moment you drag files to add them, then the new files get added at the location you drag them.
5) For all of the above the "order" column does not even has to be visible on browser. You just need to have the VF/PL sorted by it's "initial" sort order. So, if you don't want to have the "order" column visible and taking up place on your browser, you can right click on browser header, select "Reset sort order" and then drag files around to rearrange them. The next time you'll use the "Reset sort order" action, the VF/PL will show up with the new order.

Posted Tue 17 Aug 21 @ 9:41 pm
user23016246 wrote :
Is there a way to change how numbers are ordered in the browser by the title? I'll change them in the track number to get them order, but does it really need to be programed like this?

I guess you mean how "1 Cool Track", "3 What a wonderful track" and "12 Another Cool track" as track titles get sorted, right ?

Well you expect to see them ordered like:
1 Cool Track
3 What a wonderful track
12 Another Cool track

but they get sorted like:
1 Cool Track
12 Another Cool track
3 What a wonderful track

That doesn't make sense for you because you expect the program to treat the digits on the beginning of the title as numbers. However, for the program the "title" field is a "text" field, not a numeric one. So, it sorts as text. And therefore for "text" ordering the second approach is the correct one.

Unless you mean something else..

PS: Using numbers in the song titles in order to "sort" songs is a BAD idea IMHO. What happens if you want to put the same file inside 2 or more different playlists ? It can't have different "titles" depending on the playlist it belongs to.. :P

Conclusion:
If you just want to make ordered lists for playback, create Virtual Folders and set the "order" column visible.
Then as I described above, drag your files inside it, sort it by the "order" column and drag the files around to create your desired playback order.
PS: Changes get saved immediately when the VF is sorted by "order" column.

Posted Tue 17 Aug 21 @ 9:53 pm
That may be fine and all, but title naturally doesn't resolve numerically/alphabetically, but instead uses lexicographic sorting.

I noticed this after making a mix that I wanted to plan out in order but numbers weren't lining up.

Posted Tue 17 Aug 21 @ 9:54 pm
English is not my mother tongue so I may got the wrong term.
However I believe I explained to you why it doesn't sort as you "expect"
Because title is a "text" field.
It would sort as you expect if you add leading zeroes on your number part (so that all numbers have the same length like: 001 this, 002 that, 023 another, 139 the end)

Posted Tue 17 Aug 21 @ 10:01 pm