Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Cdj 3000
Hello to all, I have a problem with the Cdj 3000 & VDJ.
I searched the forum and I found someone (ferzero99) had exactly the same problem..

this is from his post:
"I have a problem with the Cdj 3000 and VDJ after about 2-3 hrs of use, the audio stop, the cdj, stop sending audio to the mixer o send butt the audio cut, very bad, the only way to fix, its turn off the cdj-3000 and turn on, again, buth the problems comes back after few minutes."

He told that a firmware update was helped the situation. (dont know if the problem showed again)

the thing is its not reasonable to start update a player in a club when sometimes you have 2 minutes to connect and start playing.

this player is going to be a club standard. sometimes its not going to be updated to the latest firmware.

It would be nice to get a comment from the VDJ staff.
thanks, Chen

Posted Mon 28 Jun 21 @ 8:17 pm
If a device (ANY device) has issues that need a new firmware in order to get fixed, VirtualDJ (or ANY DJ software) can't do anything about that.

I don't own CDJ-3000 so I can't confirm what the user said nor if a newer firmware fixes it.
However, big clubs DO update their players.

CDJ-3000 has received 6 firmware updates already, latest one being just 5 days ago.
Here's a list with the fixes of the last update:
  • Date Added was not shown correctly.
  • Stacked waveform flickered when using some files.
  • Beat Sync worked incorrectly when using some MP3 files.
  • Some m4a files wouldn’t play on the CDJ-3000.

So, a big club will definitely update the firmware of their CDJ 3000 (and the rest of their gear of course) since firmware updates improve stand alone operation as well.

Back to the issue you reported, it seems like a heat dissipation issue if I was to take a guess.
And that's because after the issue appears once after 2-3 hours of usage, then it reappears very soon even after a system (CDJ) restart.

If you have access to CDJ 3000 and you have this issue the first thing you should check is how warm the unit get's after one hour of usage, after 2 hours e.t.c.
Also after the issue occurs, restart BOTH the unit and your software. Does the issue reappear after some minutes ?
If yes, switch to stand alone mode, or try to use the unit with Rekordbox DJ. Does the issue still occur after a few minutes ?
If the issue still occurs then it's a hardware issue that may or may not be solved via a firmware update.
A firmware update could regulate the "CPU" of the unit to prevent overheating, or maybe fix an underlaying bug that makes the unit overheat over time.

Of course there may be other reasons for this behavior but for the most reasons I could think of, the general description doesn't fit (e.g. a memory leak on the device that could possibly create a similar behavior would go away after the unit restarts, and it would need another 2-3 hours to build up again to the point that it would brake the sound)

Posted Mon 28 Jun 21 @ 9:53 pm
Thanks for the detailed answer (:

Don't you think this could be a problem other than electricity?
The device does not turn of\restared...
The software did not freeze...

I had full controll on the players, execpt the sound.
its like the software stopped from sending sound.
if it was warm up problem, dont you think it would happen again few minutes after it?

and I desagree about saying "club owners update their players firmware"', club owners somethimes doesnt give a f*** about this and this is a problem that we as dj's need to handle it.

Posted Tue 29 Jun 21 @ 9:44 am
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
What was your Audio setup in VirtualDJ ? Were you using the sound card of CDJ or the one from the DJM ?

Posted Tue 29 Jun 21 @ 10:00 am
CDJ

Posted Tue 29 Jun 21 @ 10:14 am
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
Well, it is highly recommended to use the Audio setup and the sound card of the DJM and not the CDJ.
The CDJ should be just Deck controls. And if for some reason they get disconnected, you can do several actions in order to re-establish connection, without losing the sound.

Posted Tue 29 Jun 21 @ 1:36 pm
chensoco wrote :
Don't you think this could be a problem other than electricity?
The device does not turn of\restared...
The software did not freeze...

I had full controll on the players, execpt the sound.
its like the software stopped from sending sound.
if it was warm up problem, dont you think it would happen again few minutes after it?

Well your initial post said otherwise:
chensoco wrote :
I have a problem with the Cdj 3000 and VDJ after about 2-3 hrs of use, the audio stop, the cdj, stop sending audio to the mixer o send butt the audio cut, very bad, the only way to fix, its turn off the cdj-3000 and turn on, again, buth the problems comes back after few minutes.

So, my reply was based on THAT behavior you described on your first post. Yes it's a quote from another user, but since you didn't add any other information then everybody that read that would assume that you have the exact same issue.

If your issue is different please describe/explain it in detail.

Finally, regarding firmware updates, as I said before this is NOT something any DJ software can do anything about.
Even if you go to play on CDJs with a USB stick, if the firmware of the deck is buggy / has issues you are
in the same situation. The device could behave unexpectedly and somehow you or the club owner(s) / technicians should check/update it's firmware.

Posted Tue 29 Jun 21 @ 9:21 pm
Ok, i didn't notice that the other user had the same problem after few minutes.
I had this problem 2 times in about 5 hours (each one after 2-3 hours of playing).

beside of that, the description of the the problem is exactly the same - cdj stop sending audio to the mixer with full controll on the decks.

1. "dj dad" wrote that it highly recommended to use the Audio setup and the sound card of the DJM and not the CDJ. well, its nice idea but I would like the ability to connect easily to club standard players (one of the main reasons I went all the years only with VDJ).

2. a reasonable answer from the developers would be like:
the Cdj 3000 is fully support VDJ from firmware 1\2\3\whatever..
than it make sence. (example : the new denon prime players can fully support vdj screens from specific firmware).

again, this is a going to be (allready in few places) club standard player.
i don't need to hesitate to connect it to vdj.
in my opinion, connecting with flawless problems to the 3000 is for now one of the most important integrations for Vdj.

Posted Wed 30 Jun 21 @ 8:02 am
agj80PRO InfinityMember since 2011
I had a similar issue with a slight difference.

Using pioneer DJM900nxs2 and 2 cdj3000 with a MacBook Pro I7, 16GB Ram

Updated everything. Lol.

After 45 minutes of playing flawless the Audio cut out abruptly and the program froze unable to control anything. The program acted like it was looped 1/32. Had to restart the program AND the hardware.

Any advice would be appreciated as well. Thanks.

Posted Wed 30 Jun 21 @ 9:23 am
chensoco wrote :

1. "dj dad" wrote that it highly recommended to use the Audio setup and the sound card of the DJM and not the CDJ. well, its nice idea but I would like the ability to connect easily to club standard players (one of the main reasons I went all the years only with VDJ).

Well most clubs these days offer a mixer that has a digital audio bus (USB Audio). Some of them even offer dual USB ports. So, in those cases it's recommended to use that way to send the audio since it provides greater flexibility even for using the CDJs as stand alone devices and switching over from another DJ that also uses them as a control interface.
DJM-900NXS has one USB port, and DJM-900NXS2 (which is pretty standard these days on a Pioneer club setup) has 2 USB ports. DJM-V10 also offers 2 USB ports.

chensoco wrote :
2. a reasonable answer from the developers would be like:
the Cdj 3000 is fully support VDJ from firmware 1\2\3\whatever..
than it make sence. (example : the new denon prime players can fully support vdj screens from specific firmware).

The official answer is that according to our tests CDJ-3000 works fine with firmware 1.05 onwards.

chensoco wrote :
again, this is a going to be (allready in few places) club standard player.
i don't need to hesitate to connect it to vdj.
in my opinion, connecting with flawless problems to the 3000 is for now one of the most important integrations for Vdj.

Then you need to troubleshoot your issue and your system. You relied on another user's sayings that experienced a different problem and he claimed it got improved with a newer firmware update.
Yet, you haven't tried to troubleshoot your audio disconnection issue.
You rather preferred to ask about firmware and what VirtualDJ has to say about firmware updates.

Conclusion:
You have an issue with CDJ-3000 where the sound stops / cuts off after 2 or 3 hours of usage.
So, let's focus on that issue. Help us troubleshoot your issue.
Give us your system specs. Also when the issue occurs try to open settings, click on audio tab and hit the Apply button to "reset" the audio drivers. Does the sound come back up ?
I'm not suggesting this as a solution, but as a troubleshoot step (so that we can determine if resetting the audio driver fixes the issue or not)

PS: It is totally possible that a given system can misbehave with some hardware for unknown reasons.
A few months back I was helping a user with a brand new laptop to troubleshoot why his DDJ-800 controller would freeze out of the blue.
After a lot of testing that took weeks to complete in order to cover any possible reason, the user tried the controller on an older machine he had lying around. Both the controller and the software worked flawlessly.
The user ended up returning his new laptop and getting a new one from a different brand.
He's a very happy user ever since.
So, it's totally possible that a misconfiguration on a system, or a poor chipset, or a funky driver of some system component could cause misbehaviors with some hardware.

Posted Wed 30 Jun 21 @ 12:33 pm
chensoco wrote :
....and I desagree about saying "club owners update their players firmware"', club owners somethimes doesnt give a f*** about this and this is a problem that we as dj's need to handle it.

I have "must be updated to the latest firmware" in my rider :)

I once had a CDJ-2000NXS2 with the very first firmware without an update. I totally didn't respond on my commands... From that day I carry myself an USB drive with all latest firmwares of all Pioneer devices. They can all be on the same stick.
If I'm taking over an other playing DJ, I just stop, begin updating the hardware while I talk to the public in the mic ;)

Posted Thu 01 Jul 21 @ 2:02 pm