Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Can VDJ remember volume of sampler slots?
SveninoPRO InfinityMember since 2009
I’m using 12 sampler slots. Mostly one single samplebank all the time. So when I adjusted all volume settings, want this setting to stay...
Every time when I close VDJ and open it again all volume changes of the different samples are gone. Everything is at 100% again. Is there an option that at the next start my sample-mix is like before?

The volume change in the Sample-Editor is no option, cause a little gain-reserve is needed for every single sample ( just in case the song is too loud)

Posted Mon 24 May 21 @ 7:47 pm
You should use the "gain" setting of each sample to set their desired levels compared to each other.
Then, you can use just the "sampler_volume_master" action to set the volume off the sampler all together.

Posted Mon 24 May 21 @ 8:35 pm
Thank You Phantom DJ. I expected this answer.

So I would have to trim the "evil" grooves so they don't scare anyone at startup.
But then, when I want to make a big crescendo, I lack the volume reserve
(When Sampler All Volume already reached 100%).

Is there no other way? (In the worst case an Oninit/Onexit-Action of the Controller?)

Posted Mon 24 May 21 @ 9:05 pm
There are so many options to choose. Couldn’t be there a “remember sampler volumes” option?

Posted Mon 24 May 21 @ 10:19 pm
NicotuxHome userMember since 2014
no, VDJ forgot to remember settings of effects but one up to 3 per deck
100 decks including master and 3 instances per decks ~=1% parameter sets are saved :(

Yes You can workaround things like sampler volume by using a global variable and manually set it back with controller or keyboard map

mapping ONEXIT
set '@$defaultsamplerlevel' `sampler_volume_master`
mapping ONINIT
get_var '@$defaultsamplerlevel' & param_cast & sampler_volume_master

Posted Tue 25 May 21 @ 2:02 am
Svenino wrote :
Thank You Phantom DJ. I expected this answer.

So I would have to trim the "evil" grooves so they don't scare anyone at startup.
But then, when I want to make a big crescendo, I lack the volume reserve
(When Sampler All Volume already reached 100%).

I don't think I understand:
You can set the gain of all your samples so that at a given "master sampler" volume like 75% they sound decent (as you would like)
Then you have master sampler volume to add an extra 25% for crescendos, no ?
You can even adjust gains to sound right at 50% of master sampler volume.
Then you have 50% of volume headroom to build up...
As I said, you use gain to set the RELATIVE volumes of your samples (compared to each other) and then with just one control (master sampler volume) you can control all of them together.
Which means that for most cases you would not need independent sample volumes (not that you cannot still control these, but the way you describe your workflow and according to my suggestion you shouldn't have to)
Did I miss something ?

Posted Tue 25 May 21 @ 3:15 pm
This has been an issue since VDJ 8 was first released. I still think it's bad practice to be using gains as volume controls.

The sampler should work the same way as the main mixer. We don't use gains to set the playback volume of our music, we use the volume faders. The sampler should work the same way.

Posted Tue 25 May 21 @ 4:43 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
And it does. You adjust the gain one time to adjust your sample"s volume to fit normal playback. Then you adjust the instantaneous volume with the sample volumes. Since those are dependent on the specific use of the moment it makes no sense to save it, just like deck volume is not saved per song

Posted Tue 25 May 21 @ 5:07 pm
Sorry that I was absend a long time.
Many of my samples are not so loud and I don´t have time to re-record everything.
That´s why I´m not happy about the "gain-adjusting"
My momental way of dealing with the problem is:

1.) I set zeroDB -6dB (so the relation to the samples is a little better)

2.) I use one only slider to adjust level of every sample (always last started sample or selected one via
holding the sampler-button)
This works well because of GRADUAL TAKEOVER

But still it´s tricky, cause I have to adjust almost every sample played after restarting VDJ.

And please do not take offense at the question:
Why not offer the option in the OPTIONS-MENUE?
Even if someone were to use 100 sample slots - that would cost 100 bytes to remember each volume (0-127).
And there are so many options to set in VDJ. What's wrong with being able to select this simple data?

Options: Remember Sampler Volumes YES / NO 

Thank You for Your patience and comprehension

Posted Wed 16 Jun 21 @ 7:22 pm
Adion wrote :
Since those are dependent on the specific use of the moment it makes no sense to save it, just like deck volume is not saved per song

Sorry, but it DOES make sense, and here is why:
I often use a CLAP sample with high gain. I start it low and then pull it up to 100% (plus some reverb and echo) at the climax of a phrase. Therefore the gain MUST be very high. After restarting VDJ, this sample has often made my ears hurt when I forget to turn it down. Embarrassing it was at gigs....

Posted Wed 16 Jun 21 @ 7:46 pm
If I click on my sample editor can't I just adjust the samples master volume and save.. this is the way I'm doing it for all 1000 samples I have.. am I missing the point . In the apc40 I have a master sampler volume and a channel that does comlums of samples .

Posted Wed 16 Jun 21 @ 10:49 pm
If I click on my sample editor can't I just adjust the samples master volume and save.. this is the way I'm doing it for all 1000 samples I have.. am I missing the point . In the apc40 I have a master sampler volume and a channel that does comlums of samples .

Posted Wed 16 Jun 21 @ 10:49 pm
Hello there.
I have the same problem with the each slot of the sampler, he's unable to remember the last volume level when you quit vdj and launch again.
I have an Akai APC Mini and each 8 sliders column volume are at 100% each time i launch vdj, if a slider is at 30% vdj is unable to set correctly the slider volume i must to pull up at 100% and pull down to see it working.
I really need like many users of APC or equivalent a simply solution please, i say that because i search in vain a script there.
Regards, Aku.

Posted Sat 07 Aug 21 @ 3:00 pm
DjAku-Aku wrote :
Hello there.
I have the same problem with the each slot of the sampler, he's unable to remember the last volume level when you quit vdj and launch again.
I have an Akai APC Mini and each 8 sliders column volume are at 100% each time i launch vdj, if a slider is at 30% vdj is unable to set correctly the slider volume i must to pull up at 100% and pull down to see it working.
I really need like many users of APC or equivalent a simply solution please, i say that because i search in vain a script there.
Regards, Aku.

The solution is described in the first answer above

Posted Sun 08 Aug 21 @ 12:58 pm
Withy respect, that's not a solution - it's a workaround. We shouldn't need to use gain to adjust volume.

Posted Sun 08 Aug 21 @ 8:53 pm
klausmogensen wrote :
DjAku-Aku wrote :
Hello there.
Regards, Aku.

The solution is described in the first answer above

hello.
sorry but this is not a solution, i talk about volume "SLIDER" and not ther volume master.
regards, aku

Posted Mon 09 Aug 21 @ 2:45 pm
I experience the same issue. VDJ 8+ is in many ways better than VDJ 7 but in 7 I could fine-tune the volume of each sample (with the vertical volume slider) and it would stay that way forever, making each sample play at just the right volume every time. Great. In the current version of VDJ this does not happen so every time I start VDJ for a gig I have to manually adjust the volume of each of my recorded samples.
If this can be fixed, that would be awesome.

Posted Mon 10 Jul 23 @ 1:56 am
robstout wrote :
I experience the same issue. VDJ 8+ is in many ways better than VDJ 7 but in 7 I could fine-tune the volume of each sample (with the vertical volume slider) and it would stay that way forever, making each sample play at just the right volume every time. Great. In the current version of VDJ this does not happen so every time I start VDJ for a gig I have to manually adjust the volume of each of my recorded samples.
If this can be fixed, that would be awesome.

No fix, because there is nothing to fix
It's designed for volume to not be stored
Please read ADIONs answer above

Posted Mon 10 Jul 23 @ 6:55 am