Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Shift functions lock up Denon Prime 4

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Been using the Prime for for a bit with VDJ for my video gigs, no issues. Out of nowhere, if I need a shift function, the board becomes useless unless I reboot the board... Nothing changed when this started.. So since then I made sure firmware was updated, VDJ running the latest public build, same issue. Only happens with Virtual DJ and no other software or in stand alone mode.. Other users in another form have reported the same issue. Im using a Mac with Majave OS 10.14 (the latest my Mac will take) . Tested with Serato, no issues at all, same in Standalone mode.. See video for a demonstration of this issue
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Njey425T7HY

Posted Mon 12 Apr 21 @ 10:55 pm
what happens if you press Shift again?
Little hard to see whats going on but worth a try, since all the Hot Cues didnt return to regular state apparently, but "stuck" in the remove hotcue mode

Almost like shift is getting stuck...

But if you are patient a little bit, the mapper guy will see your message soon and know better ;-)
I dont have the unit at hand...

Posted Mon 12 Apr 21 @ 11:17 pm
Nothing happens if shift is pressed again..vdj acts fine and as the video shows later on.. .responds as it should

Posted Mon 12 Apr 21 @ 11:28 pm
The mapper guys will see your message soon, and have the controller at hand to check ;-)

Posted Mon 12 Apr 21 @ 11:35 pm
That's awesome! It's just such a weird issue out of nowhere..

Posted Mon 12 Apr 21 @ 11:56 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
Are you using a custom mapping ? If so, can you select the factory default one and see if the issue is still there ?

Posted Tue 13 Apr 21 @ 11:53 am
I am using the default mapping

Posted Tue 13 Apr 21 @ 1:02 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
Same thing happens if you right-click on the Pad on the skin to delete a Hotcue ?
what about other SHIFT functions on the Prime 4 ? Or does it freeze by just pressing/releasing SHIFT ?

Posted Tue 13 Apr 21 @ 2:27 pm
So I tested it again and all you have to do is hit shift on the prime and it's done. You can still DJ just like you see in the video the best way I describe it is the buttons on the prime stop indicating their state as well as the VU metres. Everything still functions but your flying blind.

Posted Tue 13 Apr 21 @ 3:48 pm
New update, the shift on the left deck is the only button that causes this freeze up

Posted Tue 13 Apr 21 @ 5:47 pm
I'd suggest using the MIDI monitor to see what's being sent from that button vs the other side.

Maybe there's some spurious data coming off it, that the other programs don't react to.

BTW Denon DJ just released firmware 1.6.1

Posted Tue 13 Apr 21 @ 6:09 pm
I did and the only thing it shows is shift and that's it when I pressed the shift on the right side of the controller it only shows shift and when I pressed shift on the left side of the controller it also only shows shift but if you press the shift on the left side of the controller, it's done. You're Flying Blind you get no indication on the controller of your volumes of what buttons are active or anyting, it still operates the software properly but you're Flying Blind. This occurred with no updates applied to a single system in this chain, through troubleshooting steps I have applied updates and I have looked through the mapping and it doesn't make sense and they are other users experience in this that we have chat about on Facebook. I open up Serato and it doesn't happen it works Flawless although I don't like Serato LOL and also in Standalone mode it doesn't do this and since January it has not done this in Virtual DJ but now it's an issue and today I installed the latest firmware which makes no changes to this Behavior whatsoever but then again you're not running on engine software when you're running on Virtual DJ

Posted Tue 13 Apr 21 @ 6:34 pm
And to just reiterate, all I have to do is tap one time shift on the left deck and it doesn't I know I typed a lot above but I wanted to point that out again I'm so confused the mapping doesn't give away any clues to what's going on

Posted Tue 13 Apr 21 @ 6:42 pm
Found the issue I'm pretty sure.. On the deck you can control the video transition effects.... It was set to Extreme cut and so far everytime I set it to extream cut then hit the left Shift.. Bam.. It happens... I'll be testing this even further and report back

Posted Tue 13 Apr 21 @ 6:48 pm
Confirmed.. When this is set to Extreme Cut.. The problem occurs

Posted Tue 13 Apr 21 @ 6:54 pm
Confirmed.. When this is set to Extreme Cut.. The problem occurs

Posted Tue 13 Apr 21 @ 6:54 pm
Just tried on mine and not getting the same result. Extreme cut selected. Press left shift. Works OK here.

Posted Tue 13 Apr 21 @ 7:05 pm
Yeah that's weird, so for now I'm just not going to use that transition not that I ever really do they must have got bumped I usually use droplets or fade or something like that.. also not sure if you're using a Mac or Windows

Posted Tue 13 Apr 21 @ 7:08 pm
I'm Windows so could be a thing with Mac version of that effect.

Posted Tue 13 Apr 21 @ 7:17 pm
Yes.. For now I will make sure not to use the extreme cut effect.. I never do anyhow but did not realize it was bumped over to that

Posted Tue 13 Apr 21 @ 10:15 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)