Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: How do VDJs history files work? (tracklist.txt & .m3u files)

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

What's up forum, i'd like to know why VDJ writes both a tracklist.txt and .m3u files. Why are there two ways of keeping history?
Also, when are those files written? Do both adhere to the historyDelay and startOfDayHour settings?
When does VDJ move the .m3u files into folders sorted by year/month?

Posted Wed 09 Dec 20 @ 12:26 pm
Tracklist.txt is a "flat" sequential list of all files you have ever played. This file is generated because it's required in some countries from dj's or radio stations to provide it in order to calculate royalties.

On the other hand, the m3u playlists are used for VirtualDJ itself in order to do the history listing.
TXT file takes historyDelay into account, but not startOfDayHour.
M3U files takes into account both.

M3U files sit on the root of the History folder for 14 days (2 weeks) before they get moved automatically according year/month as you have already figured out.

Posted Wed 09 Dec 20 @ 1:43 pm
This already covers most of my questions, thank you PhantomDeejay.
I'd like to ask when are those changes made? The files are modified when the historyDelay config is satisfied, but what about the folder organization? Is that only checked at startup of VDJ? Will it check all .m3u files that are immediate children of the History folder, or only the oldest file, or even recursively...?

Posted Thu 10 Dec 20 @ 8:10 pm
*bump*

Posted Sun 20 Dec 20 @ 7:53 pm
VirtualDJ checks (and organizes) only the m3u files it finds on the root of "History" folder. The files placed already inside subfolders get ignored.
The check is done when you start VirtualDJ.

Also, in the root of your History folder if you rename the m3u files but you keep the date on the beginning of the filename, VirtualDJ will still catalog them.
So, if you have a file named "2020-12-19.m3u" and you rename it to "2020-12-19 (My Cool Gig @ Plaza).m3u" VirtualDJ will still read the date and move it to 2020\12 subfolder after 14 days.

Posted Sun 20 Dec 20 @ 9:53 pm
Thank you very much for the details Phantom!

Posted Sun 20 Dec 20 @ 10:43 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)