Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Suggestions for best DJ Controller

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I wanted to know what are the best DJ Contollers to get to work with Virtual DJ? I recently purchased the Reloop Touch and spent 4 days trying to get it to work. no luck so I'm getting ready to return it.

But does anyone know what other DJ Controllers that work best with Virtual DJ?

thanks in advance

Posted Sun 06 Dec 20 @ 10:03 am

Posted Sun 06 Dec 20 @ 10:17 am
The best controller for VirtualDJ is the Pioneer DDJ-RZX.
It is the biggest.
It has the most knobs.
It has 3 touch screens.

The best controller for VirtualDJ is the Denon Prime 4.
It has the bigggest touch screen.
If you want, you can use it stand-alone.

The best controller for VirtualDJ is Rane Twelve MKII.
It has the best vinyl feeling.

Posted Sun 06 Dec 20 @ 12:45 pm
Depends on your budget and size is an important factor too.

Posted Sun 06 Dec 20 @ 12:49 pm
The question is too open. What is "the best" anything?

What's the best food? What's the best dog? What's the best table? What's the best flower?

You need to fill it out a little. What are your specific needs? How much are you willing to spend?

Posted Sun 06 Dec 20 @ 1:01 pm
groovindj wrote :
The question is too open. What is "the best" anything?

What's the best food? What's the best dog? What's the best table? What's the best flower?

You need to fill it out a little. What are your specific needs? How much are you willing to spend?

Food= Fiber One Oats & Chocolate
Dog= Beagle
Table= The Round Table
Flower=Amarylis

Posted Sun 06 Dec 20 @ 1:54 pm
A lot of people, including myself, have bought the DDJ-1000 and also use it with Virtual DJ. The integration is awesome and the controller has everything a club DJ would need with a familiar layout to a CDJ setup and it only costs about 1/4th or even 1/5th. I bought mine used for 950€ + soft case about a year ago, and i've been enjoying every minute of it.

Posted Wed 09 Dec 20 @ 2:57 pm
It's 'horses for courses', like many other DJs I bought the Pioneer DDJ-1000 (original Rekordbox version) when it was first released. I used it for several months, but, wasn't happy with it. I could not get a decent sound out of the microphone channel due to there being no mid control. Also, I did not like the location of the microphone switch having to reach over the 'live' channels to move the switch sideways. It was too easy to push it too far sideways and engaged the 'ducking' feature or interfere with the 'live' channel controls with my arm or sleeve.

My main dislike was that the input gain from VDJ was not loud enough. I found myself manually increasing the gain on every song as the sound input meters were not even into the amber lights. Twiddling the gain knobs constantly right through a gig can be very tiresome. I have never had to do this on the Denon MC6000 mk1 or Mk2 over the last 10 years using the same songs. I ended up selling it and losing money.

I next tried a Roland 707m when they first came out. I had a bad experience with it on 2 gigs where the sound quality started out fine, but, after about 2 hours the bass started disappearing on both music and the microphone which sounded like a poor quality old-fashioned telephone. I spent days and days at home testing and was unable to fix it. It was likely to have been a faulty unit, I did come across another user on the forums that had the same experience, so, it wasn't just me. I returned it and got my money back.

I then bought a Denon MC7000 which has been excellent and has been my main Controller since summer 2019.

You need to try different Controllers to see which one will suit YOU and your setup/budget. The last time I counted there were over 300 Controllers that work natively with VirtualDJ, there are lots of choices.

Posted Wed 09 Dec 20 @ 7:43 pm
I've had a few Denons and they have always exceeded my expectations in every way, from MIDI versatility to layout to sound quality to output strength to routing to lifespan and resilience, absolutely fantastic. Traktor and VDJ integrations are beyond stable, I guess because they're such common workhorses, Serato MC6000 has a couple known bugs, no idea why they wouldn't fix them, was never blown away by Serato. Surprised to hear that about Roland as they seemed to be taking the event DJ crown.

Posted Wed 09 Dec 20 @ 8:22 pm
As its been said "best" is open to opinion and perspectives,
Be honest with yourself what do you need and will use vs what you want or looks cool, or if you are bucks up grab the most expensive one out there.

my format doesnt call for scratching or effects just some beat mixing, i still mostly use my old denon hc4500 and 500 mixer but i believe it obsolete today

Posted Wed 09 Dec 20 @ 10:27 pm
techtitch wrote :
I've had a few Denons and they have always exceeded my expectations in every way, from MIDI versatility to layout to sound quality to output strength to routing to lifespan and resilience, absolutely fantastic. Surprised to hear that about Roland as they seemed to be taking the event DJ crown.

My Roland 707m thread

I'd be willing to test another Roland 707m in an attempt to restore my confidence in Roland. I always thought it would be an excellent replacement for the Denon MC6000 Mk2, but, sadly it did not live up to the hype.

System Specs;
MacBook Pro 15” 2017 (Touch Bar), 2.9 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Memory, Radeon Pro 560 4096 MB, Intel HD Graphics 630 n1536 MB, macOS Big Sur 11.0.1, 500gb SSD Bootcamped with Windows 10 x64bit. External WD Passport Ultra 2Tb HD containing Music & Video databases and is formatted NTFS, I use the Paragon plugin with NTFS for Mac.
VirtualDJ 2021 b6173 and Controllers - Denon MC7000, Denon MC6000 MkII (backup).

Posted Thu 10 Dec 20 @ 1:58 am
djles_co_uk wrote :
My main dislike was that the input gain from VDJ was not loud enough. I found myself manually increasing the gain on every song as the sound input meters were not even into the amber lights. Twiddling the gain knobs constantly right through a gig can be very tiresome.

Sounds like you had attenuation set too strong.

Posted Thu 10 Dec 20 @ 8:15 pm
Nope. Used the same setup as for my Denon Controllers and the Roland I had on test using the same USB cable, I did try other cables and it made no difference. The DDJ-1000 just had a weak input signal. I also updated the Firmware to the latest at the time and that didn't make any difference either. So, I sold it.

Posted Fri 11 Dec 20 @ 12:07 am
kichu20PRO InfinityMember since 2010
Hi Les,

Did you give another try on 707m?

Posted Tue 13 Apr 21 @ 12:41 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)