Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: VU Meter

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

On the top right there is a VU meter. There seems to be a separate VU meter for each deck, top middle of screen. It seems that the individual VU meters seem to register 100% most of the time while the VU meter on the top right of the screen will have a value of 70 to 85%. The sound seems to be good and the limiter does not kick in. Why is there a difference between these two and what does it mean?

Posted Sat 31 Oct 20 @ 12:51 pm
fallguy66 wrote :
On the top right there is a VU meter. There seems to be a separate VU meter for each deck, top middle of screen. It seems that the individual VU meters seem to register 100% most of the time while the VU meter on the top right of the screen will have a value of 70 to 85%. The sound seems to be good and the limiter does not kick in. Why is there a difference between these two and what does it mean?

The VU on the top is the master VU. If you're master is turned up to 50%, it should kick out to about 50% of the volume compared to the deck that's playing.
If your master is 100%, both the deck's VU and the master VU should look the same. Also the crossfader will reduce the volume going from a deck to the master, so if you have your crossfader somewhere in between where it lets only a fraction of the volume of a deck to the master, then the master will reflect that and show a lower volume.

Posted Sat 31 Oct 20 @ 1:17 pm
Makes sense. My mater is at 50% so what you say pans out. So what I am after is to know what to look at. I am looking at the master to judge what is going out. So even though my individual deck is at 100%, the master is only putting out 50%. So I adjust the volume to the master deck and ignore the individual deck output.

Posted Sat 31 Oct 20 @ 5:07 pm
Normally you use the deck VU to set the gain for your track, since that's individual. If it maxes out all the time, you know to lower the gain a little bit, and if it's too low, you can increase it. The master will tell you if your general output is too loud / clipping.

Posted Sun 01 Nov 20 @ 5:29 pm
I am using the EQ10 extension. The settings there are peaking the deck. The master output is set to 50% to avoid the clipping. The sound is good and robust and good even with the individual deck VU peaked. So as I said before ignoring the individual VU and attending to the master VU, keeping peak range to around 85 to 90%, seems to be good.

Posted Sun 01 Nov 20 @ 11:42 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)