Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Cannot get CMD Studio 4A to work with vdj on a laptop - Page: 2

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

lutianControlleristMember since 2016
groovindj wrote :
lutian wrote :
it's a hardware problem

Did you check through the registry? You post on here asking for help, then choose to dismiss the suggestions.

If you pay attention to the drivers available, you'll notice that Windows 10 compatibility is not mentioned. Therefore, the best test is to try installing on an older computer that has an OS that is supported by the drivers - Windows 7 or 8 for example.

Sorry, I didn't ignore it. But wouldn't a persisting problem after a fresh win install rule out any problem with the registry? Also, I've liked to a guy that broke the its windows boot. I'm not sure I could recover from that easily

Posted Fri 23 Oct 20 @ 4:34 pm
lutian wrote :
a fresh win install

On a different computer, or the same one (that wasn't working)? If it was the same one, did you completely wipe and format the drive?

As I said earlier, try it on an older computer that has an OS listed by Behringer as compatible. Win 10 could be the issue.

Posted Fri 23 Oct 20 @ 4:42 pm
lutian wrote :
Rune (dj-in-norway) wrote :
lutian wrote :
I've installed a fresh windows 10 on an external drive, and I get exactly the same issue. So it's a hardware problem.

Got a chance to test the controller on other computer? yours or a friend.
Just to rule out the controller is broken...

Already done that. My lap and pc at home are working fine

I guess you booted off the external drive then...
Might be a hardware conflict of sorts. Could always be worth trying to disable stuff in Device Manager that you dont use.
Such as bluetooth etc

Although it could be the usb controller / port itself that is not working well on the laptop for some reason.

Posted Fri 23 Oct 20 @ 4:59 pm
groovindj wrote :
lutian wrote :
My lap and pc at home are working fine

Please translate.

Does that mean you tried the CMD on those computers and it works?

Yes. Sorry for the confusion

Posted Fri 23 Oct 20 @ 5:03 pm
lutian wrote :
lutian wrote :
I've installed a fresh windows 10 on an external drive, and I get exactly the same issue. So it's a hardware problem.

Got a chance to test the controller on other computer? yours or a friend.
Just to rule out the controller is broken...

Already done that. My lap and pc at home are working fine

I guess you booted off the external drive then...
Might be a hardware conflict of sorts. Could always be worth trying to disable stuff in Device Manager that you dont use.
Such as bluetooth etc

Although it could be the usb controller / port itself that is not working well on the laptop for some reason.

Yes, I've tried disabling most of the other devices, including bluetooth. Without luck

Posted Fri 23 Oct 20 @ 5:10 pm
lutian wrote :

Yes, I've tried disabling most of the other devices, including bluetooth. Without luck

Just out of curiosity, you might have mentioned earlier.
But is your usb port of type usb-3 ?

There are some hardware that apparently dont play well with that, being they are made for older usb protocol.
Even though in theory it should be a backwards compatible port.

IF its usb-3, perhaps you can even verify/test this on your other computer (or computer you have access to) if so. If you have one with both usb-2 and usb-3. To test if the controller only plays ball with the usb-2 port.

Posted Fri 23 Oct 20 @ 5:12 pm
lutian wrote :
groovindj wrote :

....and what operating systems do they have?

Posted Fri 23 Oct 20 @ 5:30 pm
lutian wrote :

Just out of curiosity, you might have mentioned earlier.
But is your usb port of type usb-3 ?

There are some hardware that apparently dont play well with that, being they are made for older usb protocol.
Even though in theory it should be a backwards compatible port.

IF its usb-3, perhaps you can even verify/test this on your other computer (or computer you have access to) if so. If you have one with both usb-2 and usb-3. To test if the controller only plays ball with the usb-2 port.

Yes, it's 3.1. I cannot test on other pcs ATM, but I remember my home pc has 3.0 and it works.

Good suggestion. I'll be able to test it in a few days, when I come back home (and it won't matter as much as it matters now if I'll have solved it or not x_x, but I'll continue to search for a solution, in case I'll face it in the future again).
I hope there's a Proper solution, though

Posted Fri 23 Oct 20 @ 8:50 pm
groovindj wrote :
lutian wrote :
groovindj wrote :

....and what operating systems do they have?

Win 10

Posted Fri 23 Oct 20 @ 8:51 pm
Also, I've removed the upper\lower filters entries in the registry for everything except volume, disk and 2 more related to disks. After restart, I got my mouse\kb unresponsive, so I've googled how to restore them and so the kb\mouse got their upper\lower filters back.
After this, I've uninstalled the cmd driver, removed its entire folder in registry that's named after its guid class (I've already memorized the first part of it..), disconnected the device and reinstalled, following the steps. Restarted, and the error persists

Posted Fri 23 Oct 20 @ 9:11 pm
OK so the CMD works on two different Windows 10 computers, but not on the HP gaming laptop.

Assuming the other computers are not HP gaming laptops, is there any "gaming enhancement" software on the HP? That kind of stuff can often cause issues.

Anything else running on the HP that's not part of the OS?

Posted Fri 23 Oct 20 @ 9:54 pm
Hello.

While gaming enhancements on the HP laptop might've been an issue (can't know as I don't have access to that laptop anymore), now I'm seeing the same problem with my new pc build, which strongly suggests it's about the USB 2.0 ports. My AsRock Taichi mobo only has 3.+ ports.

I was thinking Behninger is a respectable company - would they allow such a low-quality firmware to be installed on the device? I mean, you need do something very wrong to have your Usb 2.0 device be incompatible with 3.0. Any idea if they could solve it by just updating their driver? Any idea how could I contact/push them (I can even pay someone to fix their drivers, given that the cost is smaller than a new controller..).
I know this is now not related about vdj and I'm sorry. But maybe this could help someone.

Problem is these days all laptops come with USB 3.+, some even only with USB Type-C, and this issue is pretty important, as the 4A is very accessible for amateurs given the amount of functionality it offers.

Now, guess what, I have my work HP laptop (zbook g5) which has USB 3.0 and this happened:
- connected the 4A controller
- Windows tells "Setting up device"
- I can see the device as an external sound card (this doesn't happen on devices where the exclamation mark appears in the Device manager). Most probably, if I install VDJ, it'll detect it.

So it's pretty strange.. might be 2 issues at once.

Will post here with updates.

Update: connected it to my PC directly to the USB 2.0 header through the adapter, and the exclamation mark still shows (tried uninstalling the driver, then re-installing. and unplugging/plugging back). So it may be a Windows-CMDStudio incompatibility after all.

Posted Mon 22 Mar 21 @ 9:32 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)