Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Cannot get CMD Studio 4A to work with vdj on a laptop - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

lutianControlleristMember since 2016
Hello

I've recently bought an hp gaming laptop and can't seem to make CMD Studio 4a work with vdj. I've tried both the 1.5 and the 1.7 drivers for it on the official page, but I get an exclamation point in Device Manager on it. I cannot use it as a soundcard, nor as a controller.

Anybody has encountered this issue? I'm using Windows 10, latest vdj. Tried all power plans, tried updating windows - no luck.

Thanks

Posted Wed 21 Oct 20 @ 8:27 pm

Posted Wed 21 Oct 20 @ 8:46 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
It's not about drivers if you get an exclamation mark in Device Manager, that's why you cant use it even as a MIDI controller.
Try to use different USB port, different USB cable, powered USB hub.

Posted Wed 21 Oct 20 @ 9:23 pm
Thanks, but the laptop is a pretty good one. I don't think it's a problem with the usb power. Any other ideas?

Posted Thu 22 Oct 20 @ 10:05 am

Posted Thu 22 Oct 20 @ 10:11 am

Posted Thu 22 Oct 20 @ 4:28 pm
I wonder, do you have a Logitech webcam?

Apparently one cause of this message is UpperFilters and LowerFilters entries in the registry, and Logitech webcams are known for this.

Posted Thu 22 Oct 20 @ 4:41 pm
groovindj wrote :
I wonder, do you have a Logitech webcam?

Apparently one cause of this message is UpperFilters and LowerFilters entries in the registry, and Logitech webcams are known for this.

Nope. It's a hp truevision cam (this is a laptop)

Posted Thu 22 Oct 20 @ 5:35 pm
You might still want to check through the registry for those upperfilter/lowerfilter entries.

Posted Thu 22 Oct 20 @ 5:52 pm
lutian wrote :
Thanks, but the laptop is a pretty good one.

Did you try other port?
The few times i had hardware give such an error, usually its been cause i connected hardware before the drivers were installed, and I guess Windows attempted some generic driver that didnt work...

Connecting to new usb, will "refresh" driver for that port.

But been ages since I saw such an error, must have been back in Vista days ;-) could be remembering wrong

Posted Thu 22 Oct 20 @ 7:03 pm
groovindj wrote :
You might still want to check through the registry for those upperfilter/lowerfilter entries.

I've read about these, but it said they should be under the guid class of the actual controller, not under another device, as I think you're suggesting. I've identified the entry for the controller, but it doesn't contain the upperfilter etc.

Posted Thu 22 Oct 20 @ 8:02 pm
You need to check the whole registry.

If there are entries for upperfilter and lowerfilter (anywhere in the registry) it can cause issues for other devices.

Sometimes you can just remove the entries, install the problem driver, then reinstate the entries.

Posted Thu 22 Oct 20 @ 8:21 pm
groovindj wrote :
You need to check the whole registry.

If there are entries for upperfilter and lowerfilter (anywhere in the registry) it can cause issues for other devices.

Sometimes you can just remove the entries, install the problem driver, then reinstate the entries.

I don't think it's a good idea, given that this guy cannot boot after removing upper\lower filters for the wrong devices: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/inaccessible-boot-device-after-deleting-upper-and/110b4128-904b-46a3-b573-09cd836bfe30

Posted Thu 22 Oct 20 @ 10:56 pm
As always, editing the registry is done at your own risk, and something you maybe should avoid if you're not confident in your abilities.

He was particularly unlucky, but I did mention this procedure because I have successfully used it myself in the past to solve problems.

The choice is yours.

Posted Fri 23 Oct 20 @ 8:01 am
groovindj wrote :
As always, editing the registry is done at your own risk, and something you maybe should avoid if you're not confident in your abilities.

He was particularly unlucky, but I did mention this procedure because I have successfully used it myself in the past to solve problems.

The choice is yours.

Well, guess what.
I've installed a fresh windows 10 on an external drive, and I get exactly the same issue. So it's a hardware problem. The only possibility that remained imo is that it needs more RAM, but it's ridiculous - there's already 3.5gb available. I'd like to still try disabling the 2gb the stupid HP system is forcefully allocating for the iGPU (I have a dedicated one) and see if that solves it. Didn't find any clue on how to do that or if it's even possible. I'm pretty lost

Posted Fri 23 Oct 20 @ 2:39 pm
lutian wrote :
I've installed a fresh windows 10 on an external drive, and I get exactly the same issue. So it's a hardware problem.

Got a chance to test the controller on other computer? yours or a friend.
Just to rule out the controller is broken...

Posted Fri 23 Oct 20 @ 2:40 pm
lutian wrote :
it's a hardware problem

Did you check through the registry? You post on here asking for help, then choose to dismiss the suggestions.

If you pay attention to the drivers available, you'll notice that Windows 10 compatibility is not mentioned. Therefore, the best test is to try installing on an older computer that has an OS that is supported by the drivers - Windows 7 or 8 for example.

Posted Fri 23 Oct 20 @ 3:04 pm
NicotuxHome userMember since 2014
There are known problems with some old audio drivers/devices and USB 3.x : problem is USB 3 does not have constant flaw
Numark, Beringher, Hercules,... are affected
only solution found : plug it in usb2 port ... if any

Other thing, sometime as groovindj said driver have not Windows10 compatibility (created before win 10)
and even they would work, win10 takes "updated" default instead of correct older driver
this have a solution:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/audio/usb-audio-not-playing

Posted Fri 23 Oct 20 @ 3:11 pm
Rune (dj-in-norway) wrote :
lutian wrote :
I've installed a fresh windows 10 on an external drive, and I get exactly the same issue. So it's a hardware problem.

Got a chance to test the controller on other computer? yours or a friend.
Just to rule out the controller is broken...

Already done that. My lap and pc at home are working fine

Posted Fri 23 Oct 20 @ 4:17 pm
lutian wrote :
My lap and pc at home are working fine

Please translate.

Does that mean you tried the CMD on those computers and it works?

Posted Fri 23 Oct 20 @ 4:20 pm
63%