Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Connecting VDJ 2021 to a typical Pioneer club setup (CDJ-2000NXS2 and DJM900NXS2)

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

paxwebbPRO InfinityMember since 2009
Hey guys, I couldn't find anything recent on youtube for this setup. Hoping someone here can point me to a tutorial or write a quick rundown on how to connect Windows 64bit VDJ to Pioneer CDJ-2000NXS2 and DJM900NXS2. I don't have Pioneer gear at home to take my time and try connecting, so when I get to the club I need to pretty much already know what to do. :P

I play video so I will need to also connect to the mixer in order for auto video transitions, correct? Do I need 3 separate USB cables, one for each device? Or can I just connect to one USB (to the mixer?). I know I need to download and install the Pioneer drivers before hand. Thanks in advance for your replies.

Posted Sun 23 Aug 20 @ 9:56 am
We could give you advice on how it works, but the very best advice i can give is what i've done in a similar situation: Ask the club if you can come some afternoon and try out the gear for a bit BEFORE event night.

This absolutely saved my ass with one of my biggest events in the past, because i didn't know that Pioneer gear doesn't have PC-less BPM analysis etc.

Alright so with that out of the way, i'm pretty sure you want full HID mode because the video stuff won't work in hardware modes, but i might be wrong about that if the players and mixer still report the fader / platter positions to VDJ. If you need to use HID mode, i'm pretty sure you'll need 3 USB connections because the LAN cables are only for Pioneer's link system, which is for hardware mode and for loading songs from Rekordbox etc. I don't think they can be connected as a controller (HID mode) using this system.
So theoretically, you should be able to just connect all three to VDJ (HID mode), hook the players up to the mixer normally with RCA (VDJ will send audio to the CDJs) and the mixer will probably use hardware mixing and just report the faders to VDJ, which can then apply that to the video transitions etc.

Take this with a load of salt because i've never used CDJs in HID mode! (Because i don't own any)
This is just the information i've gathered from watching lots of reviews of Pioneer gear. You should definitely wait for someone with more experience to reply here.

Posted Sun 23 Aug 20 @ 11:04 am
Appreciate your reply. I only have 2 USB ports on my laptop so I was hoping I could do everything with one cable. If you are correct then I will need to get a USB hub to connect all three devices separately (and I've heard hubs can cause MIDI issues). Also, I hope I don't have to start rewiring everything (like RCAs between the players and mixer) just to connect VDJ to the club's existing setup. I am hoping for a quick and easy connection to minimize issues when i jump into my set immediately after another DJ.

Anyone else have advice?

Posted Sun 23 Aug 20 @ 2:08 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
Preliminary support has been added for the djm900nxs2+cdj2000nxs2, so it might work over Pioneer Link by just connecting the DJM900NXS2.
If you don't absolutely need the midi feedback from the djm, as a backup the 2x usb would be sufficient to connect the 2 cdj's instead, but if you need the crossfader for video too then you'd need to do that from the computer side.
So safest is probably to try and have 3x usb and an usb hub available in case it doesn't work as expected.

Posted Sun 23 Aug 20 @ 2:13 pm

Posted Sun 23 Aug 20 @ 2:30 pm
Thanks guys, I will pick up a decent USB hub in case I need it.

I found this link for connecting the DJM850. Assuming it's similar for the DJM900NX2, will this setup work for video DJing? I don't manually mix the video, I need the mixer to tell VDJ which deck is playing at any given moment for video automix.

http://www.virtualdj.com/manuals/hardware/pioneer/djm850/installation.html

Posted Sun 23 Aug 20 @ 2:35 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)