Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Music discussion

Topic: video streaming

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hey guys,

So recently I decided to take advantage of the streaming capabilities on VDJ - and I streamed a live set to Facebook.

BEHOLD! 45 minutes in, they cut me off and slapped me with copyright violation.

So I've paid for the software for the month AND the DJpedia, and with the virus locking everyone inside I'm now finding out that MOST platforms won't let you stream copyright material. In fact, any of the streaming services READILY available through VDJ scan the stream for copyrighted material and Pblblblb - cut you off.

So I've paid for... what? What can I do with this software? Why would you give me streaming capabilities if the platforms won't let me run the music I PAID FOR?!! Am I NOT paying for ASCAP rights to the music database, or only access?! I NEED MORE CLARIFICATION.

VDJ needs to revisit these platforms and reassess their business with them. FB, Youtube, Twitch - they all monitor for copyright infringement, which effectively shuts down any DJ who attempts to use it - unless you're a whizbang slapping together loops, and then - I'm sorry, I can't even with those people.

I want a refund or an explanation of what exactly I'm supposed to do with this service.

Posted Thu 19 Mar 20 @ 2:30 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
Did you try Youtube?
They have a lot more agreements in place compared to facebook at this time.

Posted Thu 19 Mar 20 @ 5:38 am
PartyStrong wrote :
BEHOLD! 45 minutes in, they cut me off and slapped me with copyright violation..

So you streamed all good for almost an hour then ;-)
Just reconnect if you happened to play a song, that FB didnt approve of..

While FB has cleared a lot of music, not all is cleared. And Youtube is far more accepting, having deals with most all songs (and paying the label and artist via ad revenue automatically on detected videos). Success rate depends a bit on what genre of music and geo location you are at.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/3/9/17100454/facebook-warner-music-deal-songs-user-videos-instagram
https://www.billboard.com/articles/business/8508771/facebook-music-strategy-licensing-content-rights-streaming

And plenty of live DJs on these platforms all the time.. just try again ;-)
Literally 100s of live djs at any given time here : https://www.twitch.tv/directory/all/tags/d81d54c8-d705-4df6-aaf0-01d715c1dbcc

and feel free to join the Facebook group with VirtualDJ users sharing mixes and broadcasts here : https://www.facebook.com/groups/VDJ.for.ever/

Posted Thu 19 Mar 20 @ 12:32 pm
PartyStrong wrote :
won't let you stream copyright material

You seem surprised. Do you not understand copyright?

PartyStrong wrote :
won't let me run the music I PAID FOR

You paid for the right to play the music yourself (and listen to it). That's it.

You don't have the right to record it, copy it, broadcast it etc. etc.

That's always been the case. It's nothing new.

Typically the copyright notice on physical media will be along the lines of "Unauthorised copying, hiring, lending, public performance and broadcasting of this recording prohibited". The key thing to note is "unauthorised". In other words if you have permission, it's OK.

If you want to legally do those things, you need the appropriate license that gives you permission.

Posted Thu 19 Mar 20 @ 5:19 pm
Tear Em 'UpPRO InfinitySenior ModeratorMember since 2006
Yeah, this happens often but, it's NOT a VirtualDJ issue. It's a Facebook issue. VDJ is ready, Facebook isn't.

Why some people keep repeating the "just reconnect" line is beyond me.

Different countries have different copyright laws. So, some users will not have issues, some will. For someone in Europe to say "It works fine" without taking into account that a second user in the U.S. might not have it work for them.

Posted Thu 19 Mar 20 @ 5:30 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)