Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: mixars PRIMO

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

hh73PRO InfinityMember since 2006
so because i keep hearing on one of my facebook groups. about how amazing the sound quality of this thing is. and its a good replacement for the denon mc600k2. i decided to buy one.

now. just because something is loud. doesnt equal sound quality. i dont use serato. i made a mix with vdj.

1: i updated the firmware to the latest
2: all my files are around the same volume because i use platinum notes. and i always keep the gains around 10 o clock.
3: no matter the file, even if i had the faders lets say 40% up. i was already hitting the red zone. turning the gains lower did nothing
4: the pitch sliders. well even though in vdj i have it set to 12%. if i even pitched a song a tiny bit. the track would go much much faster or slower
5: i managed a 3 hour mix, but the sound quality of the recording (wav, high quality). the recording raw had a weird sound. almost like a bootleg 90s rave your wold hear. recorded in a parking garage. lol
6: i had to do a lot of cleaning up just to salage it. whch i did. and it mostly came out ok

now the support for this company is a bit nuts. they are very active......but almost fanatical. telling me about the gold plated insides. the dac, and all that. but ignoring the basics.

now about 50% of the people i saw in the group. sent their units back right away. saying this is not usable. while the others raved about this being the best thing ever

timecodes did work quite well. it wasnt an expensive unit. and im not so sure vdj was causing any of the issues.

but i did notice now there is a wiki for it, while before there was a "forthcoming"

i will probably keep it. maybe its just growing pains. its def not a denon 6000mk2 replacement. and in some ways the layout is much better.

but nervous now to attempt another mix, and have it sound or act crazy.

my files are all good quality. and a lot of wavs and flacs converted to 320k mp3s.

im not a pioneer fanboy. but at least they usually "just work".

while using the mixars to play music outside of djing. the quality is very good. but to bring this to a party or gig as of now. i wouldnt......unless some changed were made in the latest vdj update

anyone else have any exp with this unit?

Posted Tue 10 Mar 20 @ 9:32 am
Setting zerodb to -3db and using autogain=auto works fine here.
It allows me to have my gains knobs in 12 o clock position and not hitting any limiter e.t.c. with "typical" EQ and FX usage.

Posted Tue 10 Mar 20 @ 11:27 am
hh73PRO InfinityMember since 2006
within vdj settings. or the driver itself. its not installed atm. but sounds like a logical solution. i like the thing. its pretty cool.

Posted Tue 10 Mar 20 @ 6:01 pm
Hello Primo Users,

I have a question concerning this amazing controlle. Is the mixing of the different channels done digitally inside VDJ (like in most controllers) or completely in Hardware (like in the American Audio VMS Series)?
In the official Manual from Mixars (written for Serato), they say that both configurations are possible ("Serato routing" and "non-Serato routing"). According to the Hardware Manual from VDJ, a "non-Serato routing" is used where the 4 channels, the headphone and the sampler are being put out as individual channels (instead of a Master channel).

So to those who use the Primo with VDJ: How have you configured your Audio? Is the "Serato routing" possible. Fo me, this is a big dealer because this allows to use features like the Stems, Sandbox Mode or disable the crossfader.

Posted Fri 17 Jul 20 @ 5:27 pm
I think you misunderstood what Mixars manual says.
Indeed the unit offers 2 ways of audio routing.
However NONE of them is using "master + headphones" audio routing.
If you study the routing diagrams (pages 6 & 7 on Primo manual) you'll see that for the most part they are the same.
Their basic difference is where each "deck" sound gets routed.
Both modes (Serato and Non-Serato) requires a 4 decks audio configuration, and not "Master+Headphones"

Anyway, to answer your question VirtualDJ uses the "Serato" audio routing.
Post fader effects, Stems and Automatic Headphones selection are possible.
However, Sandbox is not possible since there's no "MASTER" audio output.

Posted Fri 17 Jul 20 @ 11:39 pm
Thanks for your answer, you are alright, both are nearly the same.
What a pity that they didn't implement an "Master Out" Config! I own both an American Audio VMS2 and an DenonDJ MC7000 and really miss the Sandbox Mode on the VMS2...

Posted Sat 18 Jul 20 @ 7:29 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)