Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Problem Opening Database
HI all. Hoping someone can help. I have a VirtualDJ Pro Infinity license. I have been using Virtual DJ8 on a Windows 7 computer. No issues. I keep some emergency songs on the hard drive, but I primarily play from an external drive. I maintain 3 backup external drives that hold the identical libraries. Two of these stay in my office. The primary and one backup travel with me to my gigs. I assign my primary drive letter as G: and my backup drive letter as H: Knock on wood, I've never needed to resort to my backup drive, but update it weekly, just in case.

I recently purchased a Windows 10 computer, downloaded Virtual DJ2020 and followed all instructions for moving over to a new computer. My playlists have come over and I can see all of my music, but not everything has come over, such as cue points, play count, etc. As soon as I launch Virtual, I get a pop up message in the lower right corner stating "VirtualDJ - problem opening database Database G: could not be opened!" (See image) The same thing happens with the backup drive. I've uninstalled and reinstalled 3 times trying different things each time. Moved everything except the settings XML from the Virtual DJ folder first before installing, Installed first, then moved everything from the virtual DJ folder over and the third time I installed, I didn't move anything over. Just installed and launched with the external drive. Same results. Same problem.

I really appreciate your time in reading this. Can anyone help? Thanks!

Dave

https://www.virtualdj.com/img/304232/74500/VDJ.jpg

Posted Wed 22 Jan 20 @ 8:22 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
Any chance the Drive G (and especially the /VirtualDJ folder of it) needs read/write permissions for your new computer/user ?

Posted Wed 22 Jan 20 @ 11:05 pm
djdad wrote :
Any chance the Drive G (and especially the /VirtualDJ folder of it) needs read/write permissions for your new computer/user ?

Success! You know, I said to myself it's probably something obvious that I'm missing. But I never would have checked that. I'd buy you a beer if I could! Thank you very much for responding and thanks for the solution... very much appreciated!

Posted Thu 23 Jan 20 @ 1:27 am
Thanks, it worked for me too !!

Posted Sat 01 Aug 20 @ 1:43 pm
Nos_61ControlleristMember since 2020
Hi there guys, I'm Sorry I've the same issue, can u be more specific on the answer (where to click, or what to do), I'm sorry I didn't get it.
Thanks

Posted Wed 07 Oct 20 @ 2:10 am
hola que tal chicos necesito ayuda tengo problemas con la database y no se como arreglarlo pare ver si me pueden explicar paso por paso

Posted Tue 03 Nov 20 @ 11:44 am
gsk4225PRO (OEM)Member since 2015
Im having that same issue. My problem is I went from a windows formatted external hard drive to a MacBook. I keeps telling me that I only have read permission.

Posted Mon 07 Jun 21 @ 2:04 pm
gsk4225 wrote :
My problem is I went from a windows formatted external hard drive to a MacBook. I keeps telling me that I only have read permission.

That's true for all MAC computers. It's a limitation of MAC OS, not VirtualDJ.
You need to either backup the drive, format it on a filesystem that MAC can write data to and then restore the data, or use a program like Paragon NTFS that will allow your MAC to write data on NTFS formatted drives.

Posted Mon 07 Jun 21 @ 5:18 pm
How do I do the below? I have tried updating the security and permissions but no luck. . . This is specific to the database issue experienced.

1. C drive
2. Programme folder
3. VDJ
4. Right click
5. Secuirty
6. Read and Write permissions

Is this correct?

Posted Fri 11 Jun 21 @ 3:54 pm
Had this problem and this thread was completely unhelpful.
Turns out Windows 10 security was blocking VDJ from accessing it's own DB.
Turns out that since I was logging in to Win10 with a web account through Microsoft I wasn't being told that Security was blocking access(even though I knew it was)
Also turns out I couldn't change security settings while logged in to a web account.

I changed my account to local, got a warning about VDJ trying to access protected files, was given an option to allow access, did that, got my DB back.

Moral of the story is MS and VDJ need to get their #$@! together for as much money as I spend on them.

Posted Fri 25 Feb 22 @ 11:02 am
Main problem is VDJ does not tell you there is a problem in general. It could easily check the permissions on startup and display a warning depending on the permissions result. I mean something that tells you the problem exactly. Like it does not have write permissions. Not something generic like can't open file. This is one of those things that is ridiculous not to fix. If there are subsequent errors later when trying to write user also needs to be warned. Expected common sense behavior.

VDJ will warn when it can't open or create database with can't open database. But that does not tell you why it could not do that. Also warning should appear in a dialog box that user has to acknowledge. User may not seen the message in lower corner and I think it times out.

Posted Sat 26 Feb 22 @ 12:50 am
altTCPRO InfinityMember since 2020
UM, I am suddenly having this issue but it is on the same computer I have used for several years. I have multiple drives and want to disable VDJ from scanning all of them - how would I fix this? Two large drives hold material for my recording studio and do not need to be accessed. I do not understand the answer given elsewhere in the forum with binary numbers and DWORDS etc. is there a simple explanation?

also, in the spirit of minimizing what VDJ needs to scan when I boot up, in the database if I delete a drive via file operations/delete - that would remove the file from my computer entirely so not a good idea - I have tried batch/remove from search DB but it doesn't go away....what solution am i missing?

Posted Mon 06 Jun 22 @ 7:59 pm