Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: pitch reset problems

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

doug9474ControlleristMember since 2019
v8.4 b5308

See video. https://drive.google.com/open?id=1vY7nIVNGNp3So3_8VRiV9RWS8NCQXR7G

I have Pitch Lock, Sync, Match BPM on on both decks.

In the recording, I wasn't recording the mouse pointer so you can't exactly see what I was clicking, but I kept clicking pitch reset on Deck A, but it wasn't working. Then I tried to move the pitch slider on deck B and it kinda went nuts.

Second problem: I don't know if it's related, but earlier, I was trying to start a song on Deck B, while Deck A was playing I have a key programmed to "play & pitch_reset 0.15%." Same Pitch Lock, Sync, Match BPM on, globalQuantize=4. Trying to start the song you see in the video. This time the beat didn't sync. It just started right from where the song was. Occasionally that happens, then I try it again, it starts synced up. I don't know what makes it not sync occasionally. There doesn't seem to be anything different in the cases where it doesn't sync.

Posted Fri 27 Sep 19 @ 4:34 am
Also, this is on Windows 10

Posted Fri 27 Sep 19 @ 3:58 pm
Someone just pointed out that I still had automix enabled. Forgot to turn it off first. My mistake.

Posted Mon 30 Sep 19 @ 5:13 pm
Sorry for posting again... But, I think the second problem still stands. I don't think it was related to the first:

Second problem: I don't know if it's related, but earlier, I was trying to start a song on Deck B, while Deck A was playing I have a key programmed to "play & pitch_reset 0.15%." Same Pitch Lock, Sync, Match BPM on, globalQuantize=4. Trying to start the song you see in the video. This time the beat didn't sync. It just started right from where the song was. Occasionally that happens, then I try it again, it starts synced up. I don't know what makes it not sync occasionally. There doesn't seem to be anything different in the cases where it doesn't sync.

Posted Mon 30 Sep 19 @ 5:53 pm
You should consider to give a logical time-out before chaining the second action on cases like this.

So, try:

play & repeat_start 'PiRst' 200ms 1 & pitch_reset 0.15

This action "waits" 200ms before it starts the pitch reset (so that the rest automation systems have enough time to do their jobs and change their status)
If the above code works fine, you can later fine tweak the delay of the second command by trying lower values

Posted Tue 01 Oct 19 @ 10:42 am
Ok thanks. I will research the repeat_start command and try it out.

However, I just now tried simply clicking the play button, same settings, and it still didn't sync. Usually the second time it works though, so it's hard to repeat and get on video.
I'll try to start recording so that I can show what I am talking about.

Posted Tue 01 Oct 19 @ 9:24 pm
PhantomDeejay,

Same settings as previously mentioned. Please see video. Particularly around 0:25. I wait until it's at the same beat, same phase, click play, and 1) it jumps to a different beat than the other song, 2) it doesn't sync up the beats at all.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/184la5KrrUUnHN0njo_C3dSt5LKeIY8e8/view

It looks like it's attempting to sync, but going to the wrong place in the song, at a beat unsynchronized with the playing song.

It works sometimes, then sometimes it doesn't. It seems random and I can't figure it out. Is there something that I am doing incorrectly?

Thanks!

Posted Tue 01 Oct 19 @ 9:48 pm
testing some theories.. Maybe i backed up too far for Deck B?? I like to have some room for error in case I mess up lol. But, if it can't sync if I back up that far, I'm thinking it shouldn't let me back up that far? I'm just making guesses.

Posted Tue 01 Oct 19 @ 10:11 pm
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
yes you went back too far from the track origin, just press play later.

Posted Wed 02 Oct 19 @ 6:59 am
Thanks!! Is there a certain number of seconds or beats that is acceptable? Or is it more based on trial and error?

Posted Wed 02 Oct 19 @ 4:47 pm
There are no rules that you have to follow. Just do what you feel is right. Use your ears. Don't rely on the computer to do things for you.

Posted Wed 02 Oct 19 @ 4:53 pm
I get it, but if no one relied on software at all, none of us would be here lol

I'm sure I'll get to the point where I turn all of the automatic features off... But, I do like to use them when they work for me...

My question really was more of, playing a track what amount of seconds in advance causes the software to stop working correctly (or as per spec according to the manual), but, I'm not sure if that will get an answer, or if that's an issue that they will fix, so I'll figure it out... But thanks anyway.

Posted Thu 03 Oct 19 @ 5:33 am
PhilWPRO InfinityMember since 2011
There are plenty of tutorials out there which show various ways of doing things. Why not see how others use the software and try to do things their way? Over time, you’ll know what works for you and what doesn’t.

Posted Thu 03 Oct 19 @ 2:31 pm
PhilW

Thanks. That's what I've been doing. I look at the different youtube videos. I've asked questions in the forum. Sometimes, I know what sound I'm going for, and am just looking for a way to accomplish it, so any specific advice is appreciated.

Vast majority of the time, the software has been very helpful, however, I will report if a feature don't appear to work as advertised.

Posted Fri 04 Oct 19 @ 12:06 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)