Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Wishes and new features

Topic: more native video loop/VJ graphics options

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

it would be great to see virtual dj expanding its video looping options
it would be great if VDJ had a native built in video loop sampler that could be set to play random, or play a specific order of video samples, set them to loop a certain amount of times before moving on to the next one etc. it could be 8, 16, 32 pads or so.

another great addition would be if these could be triggered using an aditional midi controller like an Akai APC or something.

yea i know telly media does some of this, but not all of it, and i think the fact that its not native limits us in terms of triggering it with midi

this would be great when play audio tracks without video or even it would allow a VDJ user to do a complete VJ performance for a live show for a band where the VDJ user is just doing video , no audio at all.

Posted Mon 23 Sep 19 @ 5:32 pm
A sequencer of sorts then perhaps?
Its been on a list of things that might come :)

That aside, you can do quite a bit of what you want to achieve already perhaps..
The SlideShow video effect can be set to run a folder of videos, and has the option to only run (and automatically) when playing audio-only files during a video mix set.

Additionally the VirtualDJ sampler supports videos, and loops.. You can make banks, with lots of loops, and easily trigger from Akai or any midi. And they can be grouped into types, where only one pr group can play at same time ("knock-out") etc..

Lastly, the new VirtualDJ 2020 offers Event Scheduler, where you could even program manually exactly what videos to loop, and when .. little bit basic "sequence"

Posted Mon 23 Sep 19 @ 5:58 pm
it could work like a sequencer, however i personally didnt envisage a timeline per say (but that could certainly work)
i was thinking more in terms of a bank of video loops with a variety of looping options (loop -on-off , loop x 1, loop x 2 etc)

ill have to look a little deeper into slideshow and sampler as they may be able to be rigged to do the job for now
between slideshow, sampler and tellymedia we are so close
i guess whats lacking if anything, is just something that ties all this functionality together in a way which is intuitive for the purposes of a VJ, or dedicated VJ

Posted Mon 23 Sep 19 @ 9:04 pm
Matty, keep in mind that TM and TV as they have been, have only been tools for building a better application. I have said that for so long that probably the thinking is they will never change. I am still here, There is no way I would stay here just to keep TM and TV as they are. I have had in my mind what I want to do for a long time. It is about entertainment with dynamic displays. TV will be the main app / plugin. In terms of audio/video it will be able to do more than TM. I am at the point now where I can start to turn some things on... But providing a user interface for some of this is not going to be easy.. I will be working with some of the DJs and we will work things out. Loops and stuff by themselves will start to look pretty boring in comparison I think. I don''t need to have a UI for myself and can turn things on in code... Doing this I will be able to show some videos soon showing you what I am talking about... It is still going to be a long haul but happy to be doing it.

Posted Mon 23 Sep 19 @ 9:05 pm
Don Moir wrote :
Matty, keep in mind that TM and TV as they have been, have only been tools for building a better application. I have said for so long that probably the thinking is they will never change. I am still here, There is no way I would stay here just to keep TM and TV as they are. I have had in my mind what I want to do for a long time. It is about entertainment with dynamic displays. TV will be the main app / plugin. In terms of audio/video it will be able to do more than TM. I am at the point now where I can start to turn some things on... But providing a user interface for some of this is not going to be easy.. I will be working with some of the DJs and we will work things out. Loops and stuff by themselves will start to look pretty boring in comparison I think. I don''t need to have a UI for myself and can turn things on in code... Doing this I will be able to show some videos soon showing you what I am talking about... It is still going to be a long haul but happy to be doing it.

good to hear from you don

while im talking to you, there is one function that i would like to request in telly media, and that is that everything would be on continuous loop by default, or have a button directly in the UI to toggle this. it seems like there would not be much reason to put something in there and not loop it, so it would make sense just to have everything on loop by default. i could be wrong. but thats how it is for me

its really exciting to see what the next advancements will be with TV. i have been a user now since 2012 for my DJ work

Posted Mon 23 Sep 19 @ 9:10 pm
There are reasons for not looping everything by default. If you are in one of the automatic modes, looping is not so relevant. In auto mode it will play each image or video to completion and move on to the next slot. Like a slideshow but it is more specific. You give it the exact media you want to play can you save that as a like a playlist... You can have any number of these. In auto modes, slot plays in succession and when all played it starts over... For example, you could have 3 slots with media in them.. all others are empty. Say first slot has your logo, 2nd slot maybe has more info about you, and so on... Can use this for a number of things. Automatic modes can loop a fixed number of times but not endlessly. If I put a flag in and user clicks it and things are automatically looped, it wont loop in auto modes because it makes no sense and a source of confusion. When you manually change to loop it tells you about that. Again we need to move past loops and such.

Anyway, I have put up TV 4.and TM 4 betas. The TV 4 versions install both the 32 and 64 bit plugins. The TM 4 version installs just the 64 bit plugin for now. Both require a license code. They have gone thru massive changes. Not so much what they do, but I have changed all the graphics everywhere... When VDJ was made 64 bit, they changed the graphics over to Direct11. With the 32 bit versions, they use DirectX 9... The 64 bit change is generally an easy thing. DX11 is a lot different than DX9 and took more time. But I was not trying to just make it compatible. I added many new graphics tools that will start to become apparent.

I am saying this because I want to tell you that my main thrust is to make it happen for TV. You should have much more control and do what you want. Like I said it will take awhile. I have to do this all myself and this would be hard to do for most any company. Adding something like you want to the interface is not desirable for me at this time. What I could do for you though, is to provide a hidden flag you can set. Not part of the user interface. That way I don't have to deal with possible confusion. This would not be hard. You can have separately named tm dllis that can do this or not. I won't change the existing TM 32 bit versions. I will change the TM 4 32 and 64 bit versions for you. Should not be too long but still beta testing...There are few things not done yet but mostly good.

NOTE: New things have been added to the TV prime version user interface. Not much to the TV Plus version which you can no longer donate for. It will remain fully supported though. Things like I am talking above will take some time to get in. I will try to show a video when I get to it.

Posted Mon 23 Sep 19 @ 9:53 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)