Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Wishes and new features

Topic: Saving Automix Editor transitions

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

doug9474ControlleristMember since 2019

I made a nice transition in the Automix Editor and it VIrtualDJ got rid of it. Apparently because I moved one song, then the other (although they are currently still right next to each other).

There should be a way to save transitions and use them later. Or they should be saved for all time and used whenever there is a transition with the same two songs. If saved for all time, should be a way to undo them. Or at least they should be saved in the playlist and used whenever the two songs are put together.

They can be a lot of trouble to set up just for VirtualDJ to erase them to never be recovered.

Also, my previous requests were:
1. Visual indicator (column maybe?) of custom transitions in Automix list
2. Option of no fade in and option of no fade out in automix editor

Posted Thu 19 Sep 19 @ 7:53 am
My transition just randomly came back. This is the second time this happened so I would classify this as a bug.

Posted Thu 19 Sep 19 @ 2:23 pm
After talking to support for a long time, trying my best to get relevant information, and testing out some hypothesis on my own, it looks like changing the tags of the song being transitioned to in an external tag editor will cause the custom Automix Editor transition to go away.

I'm guessing that the tags are an essential part of the ID used to identify the song being transitioned to, so when that changes, it can no longer find the song that the transition refers to. So, I'm guessing that a better/more consistent ID is needed within the CustomMix element that represents the Automix Editor transition in the XML (specifically the part that represents the next song in the transition). There may be other things that make the transition disappear too, but that's the one I have been able to find evidence of. That's just my guess based on what I could pull out of support, and my own experimentation and evidence, because I haven't looked at the code.

My request would be for a fix that would allow users to change the tags or other attributes without a custom Automix Editor transition just disappearing.

I hate taking time to set something up that is engineered to just disappear for unrelated/random reasons.

Posted Wed 25 Sep 19 @ 11:40 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
To be accurate, artist, title and remix need to remain the same for the transition to be found, so make sure these are the way you want them before setting custom transitions.

Posted Wed 25 Sep 19 @ 2:47 pm
Thanks!!!! Fair enough. Wish support would have told me that in the first place to save many headaches (Ticket 334141).

Would be good if IDs were based on something better. Correcting a typo shouldn't mean your customizations disappear, but at least I know now.

Is anybody even thinking about what transitions have been created for the entire history of the database to every other existing song in the database when correcting a typo or improving a title? I doubt it.

Is there a warning in the manual? If not, I would like to request that this be documented.

Also, when changing tags WITHIN VDJ, the transition doesn't go away (even after an exit)... Some interesting magic.

Many thanks, Adion!!! You are very knowledgeable.

Posted Wed 25 Sep 19 @ 7:19 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
Currently the transition should also be lost if the destination track's tag is updated within vdj.

Note that because custom transitions are saved together with the song that is being mixed from, there's a bit of a difference in which update causes what effect.
The song mixed into is referenced by ID, and thus relies on artist/title/remix to stay the same.
The song that is mixed from is directly taken from the VirtualDJ database entry, and thus the transitions from this song to any other song remain saved as long as edits are done within vdj.

Posted Wed 25 Sep 19 @ 7:57 pm
Yes, via diff I saw the CustomMix changed when I created a transition... Some type of hashed ID I presume...

Figured it out, it ignores what's in parentheses... That's why some changes don't have the same effect. Probably wasn't due to changing with VDJ or not.

Anyway, cool.... Thanks.

Posted Wed 25 Sep 19 @ 8:16 pm
Sorry, correction to my last post lol: Apparently it does count things in parenthesis sometimes or so not totally sure what it's looking at or if it only counts first N characters but I get your point.

Maybe add a file path and hashed file audio data and if only two of the three match only one file, the other one is updated. That might fix the disappearing transitions problem, I don't know, just an idea...

Ok. Done for real now I think lol

Posted Thu 26 Sep 19 @ 11:34 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)