Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Question regarding splitting audio channels?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Karam94Home userMember since 2019
Hi,

So firstly, I'm just a hobbyist looking to make some mixes for myself, so go easy on me and there might be an obvious answer to this!
Basically, when transitioning, I like to have the song I'm transitioning in to on a loop that I crossfade in to.
Obviously, defining these loops is a lot easier when I can pre-cue them and listen to them beforehand.

Say the current song is on Deck 1 and I want to listen to what is on Deck 2, I can achieve it via the following settings:

This way, the mix is playing through my headphones and I can get my loop ready listening to it through my monitor speakers.
The issue is that once I transition in to the song on Deck 2... and want to then get my loop ready on the new song on Deck 1... it's counter-intuitive as my new song is now playing through my speakers and vice versa. Which also leaves me asking the question, of what the definition in this case of the master output that is being recorded?

If I need to pay $19 to get the functionality I'm looking for nailed, I'm happy to do so. I'd just like to know how I should be configuring this first so I can test it and get mixing properly!

Thanks

Posted Sun 08 Sep 19 @ 12:12 pm

Posted Sun 08 Sep 19 @ 12:18 pm
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
You want a speaker & headphone [master & headphones] set up, you should be able to do this as a home licence user.

Posted Sun 08 Sep 19 @ 12:26 pm
Karam94Home userMember since 2019
@locodog

Following your advice, I now have Deck 1 playing through my headphones & Deck 2 playing through my monitor speakers, which is great.
However, I'm recording therefore I assume it is my master output that will be recorded. Correct?
So when I fade from Deck 1 to Deck 2... Deck 2 won't be recorded... So in this case, what's the solution as once I'm on Deck 2, I'll be using Deck 1 to preview in my headphones...

Thanks

Posted Sun 08 Sep 19 @ 12:58 pm
Karam94 wrote :
Deck 2 won't be recorded

Yes it will, because the deck will be playing out of the master output, based on the position of the faders on the VDJ mixer.

The headphone output is for cueing. The master output is for whichever deck or decks are turned up on the mixer. Perfectly normal and standard.

Posted Sun 08 Sep 19 @ 1:07 pm
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
outputs: Master Headphones
not deck 1 deck 2

Posted Sun 08 Sep 19 @ 1:12 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)