Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Refresh Folders in Sideview
Mr.URNsPRO InfinityMember since 2014
Dang had this problem some years ago and this issue seems to persist.

I am adding some new folders to my main misic folder and I just can't get them to show up in VDJ.

Seriously bummed about this. Any ideas how to get this to work?
The files are there, I can see them when I search for them.

THX in advance.

Posted Sun 26 May 19 @ 7:26 pm
Just to be clear, I'm talking about the area on the left side, where directories, virtual folders etc are...

Posted Mon 27 May 19 @ 12:17 pm
Oh, found out sth. new about this issue.

When I have VDJ running and tab out to Windows Explorer and try tonplay a file in question it says that the file wasn't found.

If I close VDJ and try again it plays just fine.

This is really really weird.

Posted Mon 27 May 19 @ 12:33 pm
Ok figured it out myself.

There was a file called "order" at rhe top level of my music folder that prevented VDJs DB from updating.
I don't know which software left this. Maybe VDJ, maybe sth else.

Anyway, deleting this file resolved the problem.

Posted Mon 27 May 19 @ 9:29 pm
NicotuxHome userMember since 2014
It takes some times before a new file appears in the database.
Also you are right, the sub-folders seems not to refresh unless you close yourself the root folder open another not empty one and open the folder again. no need to restart VDJ
Its the same with filter folder, virtual folders, history lists...and sometimes files edited with tag editor

Fine to know the file "order" is somehow related
this file is a VDJ created file and may appear when a file is moved in the browser not to match its usual location i.e. moved up or down in the list

Posted Mon 27 May 19 @ 9:43 pm
The "order" file does not relate (directly) with folders visibility.
It just defines the order of the sub-folders inside the current folder.

The presence of the "order" file MAY give the impression that VirtualDJ does not show a sub-folder.
WHY?
Because any (new) sub-folder that's not present inside the "order" file it will move on the end of the list.
So, if you have a folder "Root" with many subfolders and you create a new one named "ANewFolder" outside VirtualDJ this folder won't show near the top of the list, but in the end (because it's not listed inside the "order" file)

There's no need to delete the order file from within Windows Explorer/Finder.
You can right click on the parent folder and select "Reset Sort Order" option. Of course this option appears only when an order file exists, thus VirtualDJ is not using the default alphabetical sort order.

PS: Dragging subfolders up/down on the folder tree will change their order and will create/update the "order" file automatically
PS2: When you create a new subfolder outside VirtualDJ you must exit and re-enter the parent folder for the new sub-folder to appear. It doesn't show up automatically because that would mean that VirtualDJ should check the filesystem constantly, increasing CPU and disk usage.
PS3: Same rule applies for new files as well. If you copy new files outside VirtualDJ on a folder that you have open on VirtualDJ you won't see the new files until you exit and re-enter that folder (for the same reasons described above)

Finally: If the "order" file got created by accident (e.g. you dragged a subfolder by accident) there's an option you can change to prevent that:
Change "keepSortOrder" setting to "yes"

Posted Tue 28 May 19 @ 10:07 am
altTCPRO InfinityMember since 2020
well I cant get my folders to refresh - I have created folders and dragged them into explorer windows and when I open VDJ, they are simply not there - any help?

Posted Wed 30 Mar 22 @ 12:06 am