Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Reading MP4 Tags in WIndows Explorer after editing

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

djkrysrPRO InfinityMember since 2010
Hi
I use TagScanner to pre-tag my MP4 files as I want them before loading into VDJ, and Windows Explorer will quite happily show the tags and properties of these files when browsing folders in Windows, however if I edit any tag in Virtual DJ (with setTagsAuto on) Windows Explorer can no longer read any of the tags or get media info (i.e. frame height/width) from the MP4 file and only shows the filename, dates, type & size from then on.
What is Virtual DJ doing that is stopping Windows Explorer from reading my MP4 file properties and is the a fix (windows media plugin etc).

Posted Sat 06 Apr 19 @ 4:52 pm
Hi
Having investigated further I have found that only tracks that DO NOT HAVE A TRACK NUMBER are affected in this way, if I edit a tag in Virtual DJ and make sure a track number is added if not already present, the tags are still readable in Windows Explorer and if I add a track number to files Windows can't read properly the save it, Windows then sees the tags also.
All my MP4 files have track numbers, however it appears that files that were added to the database file while I was running VDJ V7 didn't have a track number added to the database and when the database was converted to V8 the track numbers weren't imported from the file. So ... if I edit the tag of a file that was originally added to the database while using VDJ V7 and then edit it in VDJ V8, the track number is blank & when I save it the tag is no longer readable in Windows Explorer, all tracks that are new since I started using VDJ V8 have a track number in the database imported from the file and then when saved again in VDJ, Windows Explorer can still read it as well.
The simple workaround to this would be to make sure that when editing, I check if there is a track number before saving and if not add one, altho this doesn't solve the problem of files I have already editing that are now not showing up correctly in Windows (there are thousands so manually editing is out of the question).
I have tried sorting files by track number in VDJ and then group editing all files without a track & putting in any value so that it saves correct files that Windows can't now read, however the problem I have found with this is whatever number I enter (e.g. 90), about half the files actually get saved with the track number '23040' when viewed in tag editing software, and in Virtual DJ it says the track number is '90' in the database & '0' in the file, a small problem I know but since I have to unnecessarily re-save thousands of MP4 files just so Windows can see the tags on ones that are broken, it would be nice if VDJ saved the tags correctly.

Posted Sat 06 Apr 19 @ 6:07 pm
NicotuxHome userMember since 2014
"quote=djkrysr]only tracks that DO NOT HAVE A TRACK NUMBER are affected in this way,[/quote"
Not only, and not all, but almost all mp4 tracks rewriten by VDJ 8
i.e.: tracks without track number edited by mp3Tag display correctly
some tracks with track number but no year edited by VDJ 8 don't

even when VDJ write tag once it can't update other again

"quote=djkrysr]a small problem...[/quote"
THE PROBLEM !!!
YOU MAY HAVE GOT THE POINT : very interesting
the 23040 instead of 90 is really understandable bug : it's a common endian bug
23040 = 0x5A00 when 90 is .... 0x005A

Posted Fri 13 Sep 19 @ 12:07 am
Here's hoping someone looks at it, they asked me for screenshots but not sure what to send, especially since it's quite simple, update a tag for a MP4 file, and leave track number blank then see if you have view the MP3 tags using windows explorer.
Change the track number of any MP4 file from blank to any number, then see what windows or other mp3 tag software show the track number as.

Posted Fri 13 Sep 19 @ 2:42 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)