Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Skins

Topic: Why do only anonymous have difficulty with skins?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Because they are lamers. That's why.

I did a search for VDJ on kazaa and I found v1.03 on there. And most skins have features now that only support v1.06.

It is my suggestion that for every new release, there be a small additional feature or code that requires you to have the latest patch. This would go for effects aswell. It's not hard to code... and would make life a little bit harder for those cheap b******s since most of the them don't know how to edit the skin-files.

What do you guys think? I would like to have a new skin-feature for every new patch. :)

And if you're saying to yourself... well people don't always DL the latest patch.... because of some bullshit reason that the bandwidth is too low... then why are they downloading skins in the first place?

I would update all my skins...

OR what about making use of the password-feature in the zip. So only virdualdj can open the skin-file. This password would not be known by me or anybody except the VDJ-team. The password would be added after you have recieved the submission. And if people want to tweak around... they can do so if they have a unsecure zip-file.

Just some thoughts.... trying to help...

- Jim

Posted Thu 30 Oct 03 @ 6:32 am
Jim;

I like the first idea it promotes security and enhances the product at the same time, I think they should go forth with it. The second idea, if I understand you correctly would also have the .zip's password protected when the user downloads them (am I correct with this?) If this is the case than that is really not too secure as there are several legal zip password cracking utilities to be found on the internet.

I think the easier solution in addition to your first idea is to only allow skins (other than the ones the team has made and may wish to distribute) Downloadable by registered users. This would quickly put an end to the annoying questons put forth by the illegal users of VDJ. As you all ready mentioned most do not know how to edit an XML.

They could still show the skins on the site as viewable by all, but the download link would only be available to those that have registered with the site. (i.e put there VDJ serial number in there profile). I know this idea will no doubt upset quite a few legitimate demo users, but unless we (as a community) can help the team come up with a better idea, I see this as the only logical approach to enhanced secuirty, and a reduction to the anonymous problem.

(On a side note: I don't know how many times I meet these "Anonymous" users in VDJ chat asking for my plugins or my serial number to my VDJ. It is quite annoying!)

Regards;

Redman247

(Providing unabashed security advice and his own opinion free since 1971) ;)

Posted Thu 30 Oct 03 @ 8:44 am
FruitPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Well that's about hackers, but what about real trial-users? They certainly want to try the skin, as they try the soft. That's why (for me) the firts proposition is the good one, cause a real trial-user has to have normally the last demo-version.

FRUiT94

Posted Fri 31 Oct 03 @ 1:37 pm
kaleoPRO InfinityMember since 2003
In my opininon, skins should stell available for every one...
--- BUT! --- , I don't like the idea that everybody can come, download all skins/wallpapers, and overall, add stupid comments about skins, effects,languages or wallpapers without giving a nickname!
People who create that spend time for it.
Everybody can create (at least) a demo users profile, it's free, so it would be the minimum to download or comment something to be log in.
(And this may avoid some serials found in anonymous comments sometime...)

Posted Fri 31 Oct 03 @ 2:01 pm
jim ... thats an awesome idea.

Posted Sat 08 Nov 03 @ 7:09 am
I agree with some of the things Jim says

Posted Sat 08 Nov 03 @ 12:17 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)