Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Key Detection Issues - Page: 2
VDJ has two key detection algorithms. Make sure you use 'broad range' not 'electronic'.

Personally I think Atomix should remove the 'electronic' option, as it's outdated and mostly gives incorrect results.

Posted Wed 05 Aug 20 @ 11:32 am
groovindj wrote :
VDJ has two key detection algorithms. Make sure you use 'broad range' not 'electronic'.

Personally I think Atomix should remove the 'electronic' option, as it's outdated and mostly gives incorrect results.

I always thought "Broad Range" was for "Live" music as in actual Bands using instruments such as Guitar, Bass, Drums, Wind instruments etc in a studio (eg Rolling Stones, Arctic Monkeys, Sex Pistols, Jimi Hendrix etc), where as "Electronic" was used for music made by software/electronic such as Drum n Bass, House, Electro, Garage,Trance etc. Could that be the discrepancy that some people have when listening to music that they think the keys are incorrect to their ears?
Have I got that Wrong?

Posted Wed 05 Aug 20 @ 12:08 pm
A note is a note and a key is a key, regardless of what produces it.

I guess a better term for the electronic setting would be 'narrow' (as it's vs 'broad'). The electronic setting tends to detect everything as being in a minor key.

Atomix have stated that it's just for compatibility with VDJ 7, which did favour minor keys. There is (was?) a common misconception that "all EDM is in a minor key".

Posted Wed 05 Aug 20 @ 12:24 pm
Is there anyway to bring back virtual dj 7's key detection on the new virtual 2020?
Today I noticed 2 of the same songs, one original and one instrumental show different keys.
I may have not cared for this before but the fact that from Virtual 7, I know some songs are a certain key then you upgrade to VDJ 2020 and you see the wrong or different key, it throws me off.

Posted Fri 12 Mar 21 @ 1:41 am
You want to bring back the bad detection?!

The detection now is better than it was in VDJ 7. It's more likely to be correct in VDJ 8 (aka VDJ 2020/2021).

Also it's best to use just one software for key detection. If you have tracks where the key was detected in other software, you should reanalyse using VDJ for all tracks.

Posted Fri 12 Mar 21 @ 11:11 am
Maybe I can help try to shed a bit of light on this topic. I'm not a DJ, but run a rcording studio and I think I can see where the difficulties/disagreements appear within key detection. The majority of detected keys are listed incorrectly, that's a fact that is indisputible. The original written key of a piece isn't subjective, and doesn't change due to interpretation - it is what it is, however the importance of correct key detection seems to be one of the main bugbears.

The correct key of a song is absolutely important for musicians and singers, because the track is usually played completely from beginning to end. The game changes quite considerably for mixing DJ's, as each track is seldom played from beginning to end, and can be mixed at so many different positions of the song.

The chords that are played during the mixed portion of each track are far more important than the key signature of the song itself. For example, a track may have a key signature of C, but half-way through modualtes up a semitone to Db. Knowing that the original key signature of the track is C becomes pretty much redundant at this point. The same applies if you're mixing parts that are drum based. Drums don't give a stuff about the key of the track (ok, on rare occasions they do), but I'm sure you catch my drift.
For mashups and production work correct key signature is essential, and mixtapes often benefit from key matching, but for mixing in general it really doesn't seem to be so important.

That said, it doesn't help if software produces incorrect information, as it usually leads to confusion and disagreement. The problem is that key detection using software is notoriously difficult. A track may begin with a C chord, however that doesn't mean it's written in the key of C. There's often a short instrumental intro. at the beginning of many tracks before the vocals commence - this is often not conducive to the actual key that the song was written in.

The software has to use it's own algoithm from the very beginning to the very end of the track, and each software wll probably have it's own way of analysing the key (e.g. how many times a certain chord appears, how many chord progressions, repetitions etc.). It's currently too tough a job for a piece of software, and after all, it is only making a guess based on the criteria it's been given. If you don't read sheet music or play an instument then the software's guess will probably be better than yours - however at a 50 percent success rate it's still more or less a flip of a coin whether or not that information is accurate.

Can you rely on it due to the error-rate? No. But there isn't much out there that's reliable.

Posted Fri 02 Apr 21 @ 8:49 am
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
6 month old topic, hijack post and raised. no need to reply people.

Posted Fri 24 Sep 21 @ 11:40 pm