Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Mobile djs - Page: 2

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

PhantomDeejay wrote :
As I said this was a test filmed during programming.
Yes there was bigger variety of movements!
This was not the final show. And there was 4 more moving heads.
The showcase here shows how action POIs can alter speed, gobo, color, strobe effect e.t.c. and that you can use all that to automate a show.
I will try to get the final video from the couple to get a picture of the final show, but you get what I mean.

Yes please, I’d love to see the final version. Like I said I can tell what was going on but with just 2 moving heads it did seem incomplete.

I love the idea of using the moving heads as a spotlight for lack of a better term.

My problem is we can’t really get into the venues as early as I’d like too to properly setup the moving heads to follow the bride n groom say for the grand entrance. That is one thing I am working on with the wedding parties I have booked already for this coming year.

I’m just a dj but learning about lighting is fun!!

And I will say That most of the weddings I do are not your traditional weddings. My partner usually handles that side off things where as with me it’s a party and we try to make it a “club” atmosphere if that makes sense.

Also we do more then just weddings. I have a residence that I play most weekends, there’s corporate events (holiday parties for businesses, picnics, etc, etc) Sweet 16’s, Birthday parties, High school proms (these aren’t huge schools, maybe 200 kids).

So yeah if you guys wanna post videos of your past events feel free, it only gives me more ideas and in the long run I feel I’ll be better at what it is I do.....

Posted Wed 20 Feb 19 @ 7:54 pm
This has turned into a two part question. What do mobile DJ's use, and do we prefer moving heads or scanners. I think most of us will agree if you are trying to make a choice whether to purchase one or the other, moving head is the way to go. I personally think that scanners had it's day, and are limited in what they can do. Now if you already have them, I would still use them and incorporate moving heads with them. That double head that you showed in the beginning of the thread, actually has a few plus's going for it. The size and the dual effect.

I rarely use my big moving heads for my mobile gigs. I have a pair of Chauvet Intimidator Trio and have only used them 5 times. This is in my premium package or if a client ask for them. I charge more for them. If the client has money to spend, I charge accordingly. I'm not going to say how much on an open forum, you know the whole self incrimination thing. It's more work, and I also put them on truss, which is more money.

If you agree to my price and don't try to haggle me, I include a simple light show, and tell you there's no charge. Even though I have factored in the cost. You will get Chauvet 4 Bar flex, and I may include Mini Kinta, and a FX par9. Depending on how many people, you could get 2 of each. Take a look here, and here. This was overkill for this room. But this was a fund raiser, and they also got the TV for free. They paid my asking price as repeat customers, so it looked impressive to them.

I have 2 different sets of smaller unbranded moving heads, some times include in smaller gigs on tripods. So bottom line for me is the moving heads stay home on most of my mobile gigs. Now some of my competitors will have 8 at a wedding with 100 people, but that's just showing off, and there's nothing wrong with that. Sorry I don't have pics from the parties, as I'm alone and forget while I'm playing.

Posted Wed 20 Feb 19 @ 8:58 pm
Personally I like to use a combination of all of them, so i have moving heads, scanners and barrel. I noticed you were looking at inno pocket roll, they're ok but not very bright. i have them sitting next to 2x equinox fusion scans, they are supposedly the same value leds, but they're nowhere near as bright as the fusion scans. They seem to look better once the dance-floor is full.

Posted Wed 20 Feb 19 @ 10:43 pm
FigDj1PRO InfinityMember since 2017
Just my humble 2 cents. I used a pair of Chauvet Intimidator Spot Duo 155 using DMX controlled from my IPhone and they very nice. The link is a short video of a fund raiser using my light rig. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLKM0C0kir4&feature=youtu.be

Video quality is not great but you get the idea.

Posted Thu 21 Feb 19 @ 7:34 pm
locodogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
I don't want to derail the thread but I'm interested to learn.
@phantom are you sequencing via apoi per track, or are you creating scenes (via silent tracks called by apoi) or are you just using a 3rd party app and sending a midi note?

Posted Thu 21 Feb 19 @ 7:57 pm
So for the most part do y’all just put your lights on “sound active” mode and go??

If so how are you slowing them down during slow songs??

Posted Thu 21 Feb 19 @ 8:57 pm
locodog wrote :

@phantom are you sequencing via apoi per track, or are you creating scenes (via silent tracks called by apoi) or are you just using a 3rd party app and sending a midi note?

Perhaps we should discuss this in another topic.

In a nutshell, I use Layered Programming in Freestyler (by using Submasters)
So:
Submaster 1 is always responsible for Moving Heads Movements
Submaster 2 is always responsible for Moving Heads Colors
Submaster 3 is always Intensity, Chase FX, Strobe FX, e.t.c.
Submaster 4 is always Uplighting and other steady lighting colors
e.t.c.

When I play, I have 2 repeat_start actions running "in the background" that switch MH movements on regular intervals.

Then my songs have APOI's that manipulate the rest submasters and override buttons (E.G Override 9 = All Strobe) when needed.
On special cases my APOI's will manipulate Master Speed as well.
On special cases my APOI's will manipulate Submaster 1 and repeat_start actions
Since I pass the CBG on Freestyler, everything BUT the MH movements (Submaster 1) is controller by Sound 2 Light (E.g. Color Chasers always change color every 4 beats or every 8 beats)
The vast majority of my APOI's manipulates Override Buttons. A roughly 10% manipulates speed as well.

All the communication between VirtualDJ and Freestyler is done via MIDI.

For any other questions feel free to open a new thread, or ask on the Plugins forum (Advanced Freestyler Integration topic)

Posted Thu 21 Feb 19 @ 11:20 pm
locodogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
Thanks. That's plenty info for me.

Posted Fri 22 Feb 19 @ 3:47 am
the SOUND INSURGENT wrote :
So for the most part do y’all just put your lights on “sound active” mode and go??

If so how are you slowing them down during slow songs??

In my experience, such automated 'sound active' mode does not perform very well. It will most often look very stressful and not at all related to the song speed and so on.
There are fixtures which are more 'intelligent' than others, analyzing bpm's and try to match the movements accordingly.
But on the pro level you are at, this 'beginners' sound active mode is not for you. You should program the lightshows.

Posted Fri 22 Feb 19 @ 7:58 am
Yeah Zombie that’s exactly what I was getting at.

I remember when I first started this mobile thing a few years with a friend and that’s what has always bothered me. He used an Obey 40 but it still didn’t seem that good.

Eventually I figured out a way around it but yeah as time goes on and more vested I get I’ve been getting my head around this DMX stuff..

Posted Fri 22 Feb 19 @ 1:43 pm
Heres just a quick script I did with SoundSwitch and a GigBar 2.0

Posted Sat 23 Feb 19 @ 12:17 am
I have a gigbar2. Would love to do more with programming it.

Posted Sat 23 Feb 19 @ 1:00 am
kradcliffe wrote :
I have a gigbar2. Would love to do more with programming it.

It’s definitely a cool light kit.

Now back to moving heads, I really like those double sided heads I posted a video of before but the one thing that is missing is, there’s no gobo’s.

What’s everyone’s thought on Gobo with moving heads??

Is it really needed?

Posted Sun 24 Feb 19 @ 3:27 pm
blckjckPRO InfinityMember since 2008
the SOUND INSURGENT wrote :
What’s everyone’s thought on Gobo with moving heads??

Is it really needed?

I use the ADJ Inno Pocket Spot's. They have 7 built in Gobo's. I think they really change the feel on the dance floor. They do not have a replaceable Gobo option. I thought that might be a problem. But, I find I use a projector more for custom art work. I have not missed being able to use a custom gobo.

Posted Sun 24 Feb 19 @ 5:33 pm
Yeah I actually have a Gobo light and we make our own Gobo's when needed.

I think I'm just gonna pull the trigger and just order the double sided moving heads, something about them I really like, lol!!

Ok lets talk about up lighting. Now I do have 8 Par lights that are all wired and DMX controllable. They work just fine but what do you guys think about these

Posted Sun 24 Feb 19 @ 5:47 pm
I like bars, but not this one on this video...
The reason is that near the bottom of the wall not only the color is not uniform, but you can actually see a lot of shades of the LED's projection.
There are better options available for led bars. And you can pull off some amazing effects if you work with their segments :)

PS: Yes, there's no led bar that produces a 100% uniform lighting near the bottom, but there are a lot of them that produce a much smoother effect.
PS2: Last time I checked they started to make recharge-able and wireless models too (as they do for quite some time with RGB pars)
PS3: I would definitely get one that's RGBA, RGBWA or RGBUA, RGBUWA (in other words that provides true Amber light) Personally I would go with RGBWA or RGBUWA

Posted Mon 25 Feb 19 @ 12:50 pm
Ok cool and yeah I did notice the colors all blending towards the bottom.

Thanks for the info, most appreciated.

Posted Mon 25 Feb 19 @ 4:03 pm
Can someone help explain to me DMX addressing please??

For example,

If a is 21ch do I set the address to 1 or 21??

I do use SoundSwitch but I think I’ve been lucky with setting up the few lights I do use.

I’ve looked on YouTube but most videos are old school and then some they just don’t really explain things very well.

Phantom I know your an ace at this stuff so if you could chime in it would be most appreciated.

Also anyone else who can explain this stuff to me please jump in and let’s talk!!

Posted Thu 07 Mar 19 @ 11:50 pm
NicotuxHome userMember since 2014
@the SOUND INSURGENT:

Base DMX is 512 channels name 1 to 512

if your fixture is 21 channels you can put it anywhere it willl reserve 21 channels starting where you store it

i.e.: you put it at address 20 it will use channels 20 up to 40 next free will be channel 41

if you wanna control 2 fixtures of the same kind doing the same thing at the same time you can set it at address 20 too, but declare only one in most softwares

if you wanna be able to control both separately you can address the second one anywhere from 31 up to 512-21 = 491
you can't set it to 1 because it will overlap the first one. not enough room for 21 channels

if a third one is using 12 channels then you can put it at 1 up to 19-12 = 7 and anywhere where there is enough free addresses

It's a kind of tetris when you have many devices, otherwhise you can affect address as you feel, leeaving holes between addresses ranges.
i.e. QLC+ have a collapse button to hide unaffected channels

Posted Fri 08 Mar 19 @ 2:32 am
Ok let’s use my Gigbar as an example.

Ok in the manual it says “the Gigbar uses 3, 11 and 23 channel DMX personalities, which means the highest DMX address you can use is 490“

Now I honestly have no clue what that means, can you please try to explain it??

And Thanks for the time and info, I do appreciate this!

Posted Fri 08 Mar 19 @ 3:47 am
91%