Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Pioneer ddj sx3 pads

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hi there. Been a vdj pro user for years but had to come here and post for the 1st time. Usually hover around on here and always find what I’m looking for but today couldn’t find anything about my question.

I’ve just picked up the ddj sx3. I know there’s been lots of problems but I made sure I got one with the black and production date sept 2018. So far had no issues or problems except for the pads. Now all pads work fine except sampler and saved loops.

Starting with saved loops. When playing a track on smash deck 1. I press shift and loop roll to access saved loops page perfect. Play the loop, mix in next song. Then I load a new song into deck 1 and what happens is, when going to hotcue pad page the pads light up the previous tracks hot cues although I can’t use them unless I have the same amount of hot cues. The lights just stay on. Only way to get rid of it is to press a random pad page and back to hotcue to display the correct amyof lights. This only affects saved loops no other pad page as I’ve tried all combinations.

Next is the sampler. According to the manual, the default sampler page should be red. Mine is coming up with velocity in yellow or orange can’t remember what colour. I then have to press and hold sampler to get out of velocity mode to go back to normal mode. According to manual it should be the other way round?

Also wanted to ask about sound options. In the manual again it shows the default sound set up. My one is exactly the same except it defaults line inputs also. Is this the way it’s meant to be and manual hasn’t been updated?

Anyways hope someone could help or if you have a ddj sx3 could you please try what I did and report back?

Just want to mention, this is a fantastic forum. Had a few issues with other controllers over the years that were easily solved by reading this forum. So thanks and thanks in advance.

Posted Thu 20 Dec 18 @ 4:06 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
dj philsy wrote :
Starting with saved loops. When playing a track on smash deck 1. I press shift and loop roll to access saved loops page perfect. Play the loop, mix in next song. Then I load a new song into deck 1 and what happens is, when going to hotcue pad page the pads light up the previous tracks hot cues although I can’t use them unless I have the same amount of hot cues. The lights just stay on. Only way to get rid of it is to press a random pad page and back to hotcue to display the correct amyof lights. This only affects saved loops no other pad page as I’ve tried all combinations.

I get the same behavior here, and with some other combinations too. It appears that there is an issue on the DDJ-SX3 with fast led refreshes and the only way to have it working properly in these cases is to increase the controllerRefreshrate from 0 (fast as possible) to 20 or 30 , dont try higher values, as the delay in refresh may affect other critical functions. Note that this delay is only affecting leds, not the performance of buttons, faders, jogs etc.

EDIT. The above workaround doesnt seem to cure all issues, it's still under investigation. Will update you once i have further news.

dj philsy wrote :
Next is the sampler. According to the manual, the default sampler page should be red. Mine is coming up with velocity in yellow or orange can’t remember what colour. I then have to press and hold sampler to get out of velocity mode to go back to normal mode. According to manual it should be the other way round?

Yes, you are right, by default the velocity is enabled, so the Sampler Velocity (orange) will be the default Sampler pads mode when SAMPLER is selected. Manual is now updated

dj philsy wrote :
Also wanted to ask about sound options. In the manual again it shows the default sound set up. My one is exactly the same except it defaults line inputs also. Is this the way it’s meant to be and manual hasn’t been updated?

Yes, line inputs have been added after the first mapping release, in order the LINE/PHONO Inputs to work and be able to apply software effects. Manual is now updated.

Thanks for the feedback and your remarks

Posted Fri 21 Dec 18 @ 12:48 am
Hi djdad! Thanks for the reply! So if I change controllerresfreshrate to 20-30 that only changes the leds? No other functions? Everything on the ddj sx3 seems to be more responsive then my sx2 so I don’t want the change the response time on button presses etc. Would you say this is something pioneer could fix with a firmware update or do you think this is a hardware issue? I forgot to mention that my sx3 has the latest firmware on board currently. Just out interest, what other combinations have you found regarding the refresh? I can’t seem to find any other issues? It’s bit strange as for me it only does this on saved loops and nothing else. Say I play deck one and use keycue. I press shift and hold sampler. Use keycue then load a new track to deck 1 then press hotcue pad page the cue lights are fine as expected. I can’t seem to replicate the problem on other combinations only saved loops. So could this be fixed via a software build in future also? It’s not much of a problem as all I have to do is click another pad page then it resets but if it’s a hardware fault it’s a bit worrying.

Also on sampler. Might be a silly question but is there a way to change the default pad page for the sampler back to sampler like the sx2? Again doesn’t matter but just makes it more easier as I’m use to the sx2 way.

Just one one more question and this is possibly silly too. I’m picking up a ddj 1000 also. Usually when I mix and use loops I use active loops and use the 1/2 and x2 buttons to pre define the loop. Is there a way I could map those functions to the loop buttons on the ddj 1000. In the manual it shows a 4 beat active loop and by the looks of things it can’t predefine the loop size but only change the size when the loop is playing? I don’t use manual loops anymore so is there a way I could change the 4 beat active loop to active loop like on ddj sx3 and change the in/out buttons to 1/2/x2 predefine loop size? If so how I could I do it. Never ever mapped before or changed mapping defaults.

Thanks in advance once again!!

Posted Fri 21 Dec 18 @ 11:54 am
dj philsy wrote :
I’m picking up a ddj 1000 also. Usually when I mix and use loops I use active loops and use the 1/2 and x2 buttons to pre define the loop. Is there a way I could map those functions to the loop buttons on the ddj 1000. In the manual it shows a 4 beat active loop and by the looks of things it can’t predefine the loop size but only change the size when the loop is playing? I don’t use manual loops anymore so is there a way I could change the 4 beat active loop to active loop like on ddj sx3 and change the in/out buttons to 1/2/x2 predefine loop size? If so how I could I do it. Never ever mapped before or changed mapping defaults.

Thanks in advance once again!!

Yes, if you DON'T use/need the manual loop IN/OUT functionality you can remap the 3 buttons (Autoloop, Loop In & Loop Out) to work as loop (any predetermined size) loop half and loop double.
For more details let us know when you have the controller handy so that we can tell you exactly what to change

Posted Fri 21 Dec 18 @ 12:23 pm
Hi there. Thanks phantomdeejay! I will be receiving it after Christmas so that’s great news I can do that. If it not complicated maybe I could have the manual loop buttons incase but activate them via pressings shift then loop in and out but if not the above will work perfect. Will let you know once I get it.

Regarding sx3 I’ve checked manual again about sampler pad and wanting to change the default velocity mode to normal mode. In manual it says hold for 2 seconds and to go into the red normal sampler pad but and it will remember across sessions. Mine doesn’t remember it. Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks again for all your help guys. I’m proud to be a virtual dj user. The amount of support you guys give is unreal. It’s amazing in this day and age that we can rely on a company with such great support. Serato, rekordbox dj always never want to help and you guys put so much time and effort into making and supporting flawless software. Thanks so much.

Posted Fri 21 Dec 18 @ 2:21 pm
Hi there again. I managed to pick up my ddj 1000 yesterday so if there’s any chance when you have spare time if you could give me to instructions to change the above settings. If it’s not too difficult, maybe have the manual loop in/out on while pressing shift but if it’s difficult just the above will be perfect.

Also update on my previous question about hot cue lights.

I tried setting controller refresh rate to 20-30 as suggested but that didn’t work. Also I can’t get it to work with other combinations as you mentioned. It’s only saved loops that affects the hot cue lights when loading another song in the same deck. All functions on my controller, buttons, knobs, leds, jogs and faders work absolutely perfectly and feels much more responsive then on my sx2 using the same laptop. Funny thing is, I did download Serato just to try it on there and there are no problems on sereto with the led lights. The problem only happens with virtual dj. My question is, could this be something to do with the mapping for virtual dj? To be honest I would rather it be a virtual dj problem as I know eventually it will get fixed. Support is far better here then pioneer lol.

Thanks again

Posted Sun 23 Dec 18 @ 12:52 pm
Hi guys just a quick message to say happy new year.

I know this time of year is very busy for all us djs. Any help on the above after new year would be fantastic.

Have a good gig if you’re out tonight.

Thanks again

Posted Mon 31 Dec 18 @ 11:57 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)