Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Everything reset to default. Where are my settings??
Yesterday I was using the latest Virtual DJ with my Numark Mixtrack Edge sound card and everything was fine. I put my computer to sleep and disconnected the sound card. Today when I reopened my laptop and reconnected the sound card and opened VDJ, I got the initial message that comes up saying I have the Mixtrack Edge installed and do I want to set default settings....as if it was the first time I used it. Now all my settings are gone, including those for the keyboard.

Why was everything reset and how do I get my settings back???

I use a MacBook Pro and regularly back it up to Time Machine if that helps.

Posted Thu 20 Dec 18 @ 12:40 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
The message (window) you got when the Mixtrack is connected, was not offering a button to reset any settings. It was just asking you if you want to use the default audio configuration for its sound-card. The detection window will be offered every time the Mixtrack is connected/detected on startup, if you have the "Don't show again" unchecked.

- Plug your controller and open VirtualDJ.
- When the detection window appears, check the "Don't show again" option
- Press Use Sound Card
- Press OK.
Try now to re-open VDJ and see if the Detection window comes up again.

If it does, then your settings are not saved, meaning that the settings.xml file cannot be created in /Documents/VirtualDJ folder, so you need to check if you have write permission to that folder.

Posted Thu 20 Dec 18 @ 2:41 pm
All my settings disappeared as well, I had just finished a few hours of downloading from my record pools of around 5000 tracks (a mix of audio and video). I opened VDJ, and browsed to the folder on my HD so VDJ could begin indexing the files. After about 5 minutes the browser window never populated, and the status ribbon was reading "browsing... X tags left to read". And the number of tags kept rising and falling. I closed VDJ, and restarted it. Then my anus clinched up tight enough to cut lock washers out of nickels; vanilla skin, tip of the day displaying(haven't seen a ToD in a long time), new controller detected bubble popped up for all my midi devices, all my audio interface preset configurations I had created for the various mixers and interfaces at the clubs I play were gone... Basically it looked like a fresh install of VDJ, aside from the browser had retained my database because my virtual folders, favorite folders, and sidelist we're still there. I thought it may be a one time hiccup, so I browsed to the folder with the newly downloaded tracks again, within seconds all tags were read, and all tracks were added to the DB, I restarted VDJ again, and it was still vanilla settings. I shut down, rebooted my laptop, unplugged all my peripherals, and started VDJ again, no dice, the settings file was obviously erased or corrupted. Luckily the school of VDJ hard knocks led to me setting up a weekly auto backup of my my documents/virtual DJ folder to my Dropbox. I copied the live settings file to a quarantine folder, deleted the original, then copied the backup from a few days prior from my Dropbox back to the VDJ folder. Fired VDJ up and everything was back to my "normal", this being 2 days later, with a 4 hour gig last night, I haven't seen any latent effects from the event. Fingers crossed. Windows 10 64bit, VDJ 32bit with early release enabled. Hope this helps with any troubleshooting if this is a patch bug.

Posted Fri 21 Dec 18 @ 1:05 pm
PhilWPRO InfinityMember since 2011
My experience with scanning is that the number does indeed move up and down as it goes. It increases as VDJ finds files which need to be scanned and decreases as they are scanned.

Pulling the plug during a scan may have corrupted the database.

Posted Fri 21 Dec 18 @ 2:55 pm
That's just it though, the DB was fine, it was the settings file that bit the dust. After the initial restart all my virtual folders, favorites, recents, etc. displayed as normal; just in the vanilla interface with all my custom settings removed.

Posted Fri 28 Dec 18 @ 4:55 pm
I am having an issue where when i open my video shaders it crashes and restats and all my setting are gone.

Posted Tue 24 Nov 20 @ 6:56 pm
elmo4verPRO SubscriberMember since 2012
Help !! Opened my VDJ and my Interface was set to default settings. All my favorite, special folders and saved venue playlists was gone. Tried closing and restarting program and laptop. Logged out and logged back into my account. All to no avail...... Is there anyway to recovery my personal folders and settings again? Or are they lost forever??? Also wondering why this happened? Was this a bad update?

Posted Thu 25 Aug 22 @ 6:41 pm