Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: last played and tagged as played not working - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

just did fresh installs on lap top and main pc... both win 10..
set all settings i could including not making it read only..
nothing is being tagged as played, no 'last play' time is coming up either..
both computers...
any ideas?

Posted Wed 23 May 18 @ 6:42 pm
and play count too...
settings are no-read only
very strange

Posted Wed 23 May 18 @ 7:00 pm
blckjckPRO InfinityMember since 2008
Did you do fresh OS installs? Could it be a drive or folder permissions problem?

Posted Wed 23 May 18 @ 7:10 pm
blckjck wrote :
Did you do fresh OS installs? Could it be a drive or folder permissions problem?

yea, fresh installs all the way around...

i use an external as well as drives on the computers too...i can alter tags, names, etc....without any issue...so it should be fine

i have vdj 7 on the main computer also, when i use that it tags the files fine.
i set vdj8 to allow files to be modified, and to not be read only....very strange.
pioneer djm poonxs2 is the board

Posted Wed 23 May 18 @ 7:25 pm
i reset vdj 8 on laptop, set up the audio for the pioneer....so default all the way...and nada

Posted Wed 23 May 18 @ 7:46 pm
could the pioneer 900 nxs2 have some setting that i am missing that is causing vdj to ignore the played files and stuff?

Posted Wed 23 May 18 @ 7:55 pm
No, those are separate.
What is your historyDelay set to?

You said you set them to be not read only and modifiable after saying they are set to read only. Is VDJ remembering your settings changes?
Did you bring in an old database or settings file from a backup or start completely from scratch with those as well?

Posted Wed 23 May 18 @ 8:12 pm
both from scratch...the setting was 'not read only' and i double checked it...it remembers it.
vdj 7 has no issues marking file and tags....vdj 8 is a no go..opened permissions for entire folder for any and everything...still no joy..
annoying...lol

Posted Wed 23 May 18 @ 8:39 pm
Just out of curiosity, are you reloading the tags with the right click menu in VDJ8 after you update them in 7?
And, if you are setting the rating, there is an option to update the rating from the tag in settings.

Are you expecting last play to update after you play a file in 7? It only reflects what has been played in 8 since it first imported the database from 7. Once you have imported it for the first time, it does not read the 7 database any more.

Posted Thu 24 May 18 @ 1:03 am
I used 7 to test, and it all worked fine. Could alter a tag, marked as played, etc.
I open 8, test the same way, both local and external disk, nothing is marked as played when I play something, no last play, no play count...nothing. No errors.
I can, while in 8, open the tag editor and change the file name or what not, and it will work fine.

On my home computer, when I got home, I opened 8 up, worked fine. External drive, fine, play count advanced, marked as played, etc...

no errors come up at anytime on my laptop or work computer, and everything works perfect...except vdj is not tagging anything as played, play count, etc...

The laptop I set to default settings, no good. permissions on the virtual dj folder are fine...and vdj7 works great with it...

I can't see it being a permissions issue since the xml file can be altered in many ways from the program.

its frustrating and at this point, still unusable in a work setting. Very frustrating.
Fresh install too. Even deleted database on the laptop, it started a new one, but no tagging...very odd.

Posted Thu 24 May 18 @ 1:25 am
blckjck wrote :
Just out of curiosity, are you reloading the tags with the right click menu in VDJ8 after you update them in 7?
And, if you are setting the rating, there is an option to update the rating from the tag in settings.

Are you expecting last play to update after you play a file in 7? It only reflects what has been played in 8 since it first imported the database from 7. Once you have imported it for the first time, it does not read the 7 database any more.

i am not trying to go back and forth between them...i ran 7 and it worked fine...closed it...opened eight and it just would not tag things as played, play count, etc..
On the laptop, I only have 8, not 7.
So if I play 20 songs on vdj 8 , 4 minutes long, with a 10 second history delay, nothing is aded to history, none are marked as played, etc..

The only difference between my home computer, which has 8 and works fine, and the work computer is the asio driver for the pioneer djm 900 nxs2, and the actual controller connected to it...
thats the only difference...

banging my head...wheeee

Posted Thu 24 May 18 @ 1:28 am
UPDATE....

Taking the laptop off of the pioneer djm 900 nxs2 (which we just installed last week) and the laptop starts tagging, play count, etc..
Connect it to the pioneer...and poof....no tagging.

Would there be some kind of setting inside the pioneer or with virtual dj to deal with this?
When I connect on boot, I select to use the pioneer sound card, should I not do that?

Posted Thu 24 May 18 @ 1:36 am
Because it is working on one computer and not the others makes me lean more towards permissions.

Do all the computers you are using have the same login?
Maybe its just the folder with the database that has the issue. Or the files themselves.
Can you create a folder/crate on the external with each of the computers?

Posted Thu 24 May 18 @ 1:45 am
blckjck wrote :
Because it is working on one computer and not the others makes me lean more towards permissions.

Maybe its just the folder with the database that has the issue. Or the files themselves.

computers not hooked up to pioneer djm 900 mixer board work fine, plug into the board with a usb, and vdj 8 no longer operates on played tag'....
so it must be a setting with the asio driver, or maybe we should not use the internal sound card of the pioneer when running it (maybe the pioneer card doesn't tell vdj the song has played or something?)

not permissions. I can take my laptop and go to speakers instead of pionner board and it works absolutley 100% fine....use the mixer board through USB and boom...it no longer resgisters a file being played..

so, found the cause...pioneer and vdj as of yet, found no answers on how to make it work...soon will find out though I am sure...Its a very popular board, and vdj8 is a very popular program...so there must be a way to make them actually work together. Must be a simple setting we are missing....ugh

Posted Thu 24 May 18 @ 1:56 am
blckjck wrote :

the computer hooked up to the pioneer cannot log something as played...eveything else works 100% fine.
take them off the pioneer and they tag files fine as played, play count etc.

I selected 'use internal sound card' of the pioneer board, maybe that is the issue?

Posted Thu 24 May 18 @ 1:57 am
I use a DDJ-RX and everything works fine.

I'm not sure why adding the controller would cause the problem. This may be something for support to chime in on.

Posted Thu 24 May 18 @ 2:19 am
blckjck wrote :
I use a DDJ-RX and everything works fine.

I'm not sure why adding the controller would cause the problem. This may be something for support to chime in on.

i was reading somewhere, depending on what you use or how its set up that virtual dj will let a controller or board decide things like if something is played or not...just not sure how to undue that..its the only thing i can think of.

Posted Thu 24 May 18 @ 2:37 am
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
If you are not using the DJM as sound-card with Ext Mixer (deck 1, deck 2 etc) - the default audio setup, then you are using the mixer as a pure Midi device. In this case (e.g. you are using the computer's built-in sound card), you need to remove the fake mixer options from the ONINIT key of the DJM mapping.
So , just delete the ONINIT key (with all the fake_ actions you see in there), rename the mapping as "Home use" and try again with this mapping loaded.

Posted Thu 24 May 18 @ 7:51 am
djdad wrote :
If you are not using the DJM as sound-card with Ext Mixer (deck 1, deck 2 etc) - the default audio setup, then you are using the mixer as a pure Midi device. In this case (e.g. you are using the computer's built-in sound card), you need to remove the fake mixer options from the ONINIT key of the DJM mapping.
So , just delete the ONINIT key (with all the fake_ actions you see in there), rename the mapping as "Home use" and try again with this mapping loaded.

so having the onit is preventing us from using the djm as a soundcard, and deleting this will make it work as intended? will try.

i deleted it and music no longer came out.
According to tech support the djm board in no way shape or form would affect whether the files are tagged as played no matter what the settings are.
But when i unplug it and use speakers, it works fine..
According to others online they say it can specifically affect it....especially the midi part...and the midi light is lit up on the board. I think tech support is wrong on this, but they know more than I, so it just does not work at all. They think the delay history setting is to blame or windows permissions. Delay is 10 seconds and permissions are fine.
guess its back to virtual dj 7, I officially give up..lol

Posted Thu 24 May 18 @ 3:48 pm
djdad wrote :

i went to custom mapping, deleted the onit completely.
this in fact, did allow the tagging to take place. I just had to up the volume buttons of the vdj itself to go to board. Maybe i did not explain issue to tech support well enough, but if you find this thread djdad is quite right...
custom map, delete the oninit completely, and it now works as intended..more testing needed, but gonna try it out.

thanks man, def was a midi setting...good job, thank you very much. very frustrating

Posted Thu 24 May 18 @ 4:37 pm
95%