Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Music discussion

Topic: Hotcues

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I am a new DJ and am facing a mammoth task in adding cue points to all my music.
Just wondering what the best way to go about the task is?
Running through every song manually 1 by 1 seems just way too hard.
I have seen a program called "Mixed in key", which they say will automatically do this for you.
Anyone here used it, Is it any good?
Any other suggestions?

Posted Wed 06 Dec 17 @ 5:08 am
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
Any automatic placed cue method will be hit and miss, what an algorithm thinks is a good point for a hotcue you may not.

What you have to consider is 'do I need to hotcue every track?'
For d&b tracks that follow a predictable pattern, I have a script that once I'm at the right spot for placing hotcue 1, it will place cue 1 then jump 128 beats place cue 2 etc but I only do this so I can quick mix. For other genres this 128 method won't work, some tracks follow a 96 pattern, some have over runs some have underruns.

There are methods to save some pain, using goto + scripts , using play while_pressed to preview but ultimately you have to put the work in.

Posted Wed 06 Dec 17 @ 6:21 am
hrdnxPRO InfinityMember since 2011
I use(ed) MixedInKey and yes it places cue points automatically in your tracks, which can be read in VDJ and SDJ.
I totally agree with Loco though, so I don't use it anymore, as VDJ Key detection is really good, so no sense having two progs do the same task.
Once you start cueing the tracks that you are using, (on the fly using the Pads on your Reloop) eventually you'll get through all.

Posted Wed 06 Dec 17 @ 11:08 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)