Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Stuttering video in latest update - Page: 3

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
Can you upload the video you used?
Also did you try if changing the useDXVA option makes any difference?

Posted Sat 24 Mar 18 @ 5:40 pm
There are several threads on this issue. For me it's totally random. Will happen maybe a couple of times a night on videos that played correctly previously and play fine if loaded in the opposite deck and played next. It happened on one during the week that had been downloaded from Xtendamix and never played before but its played fine since.

Posted Sat 24 Mar 18 @ 7:03 pm
mp3jrickPRO InfinityHonorary MemberMember since 2003
Are these 1080 files?
I've seen this and avoid them sticking with 720 because my system can't handle it.

Posted Sat 24 Mar 18 @ 10:04 pm
Is on any type of video and it's random. As you say, can happen on a file, then play it again and it's fine. It has been since the green screen fix was addresses last year. As a workaround if you notice it happening, just click the main display video preview window to disable the video and then click it back on again. This does rely on you noticing it though.

Posted Sun 25 Mar 18 @ 10:26 am
Hi again.
Great news. You were right about changing the use of DXVA. I selected No instead of the default yes and it seems that the problem is fixed now. I tried it with 3-4 videos and now the play smooth and crossfading nice like before. Good job guys! :) Most of the video clips i use are high quality 1080P but that was not a problem in older versions anyway.

So by changing the use DXVA to No works in 3994 version as well. Thanks for the help.

Posted Sun 25 Mar 18 @ 6:42 pm
If that works you could also check if there's an update for your video drivers. It might fix it as well then.

Posted Sun 25 Mar 18 @ 7:20 pm
nicolascy wrote :
Hi again.
Great news. You were right about changing the use of DXVA. I selected No instead of the default yes and it seems that the problem is fixed now. I tried it with 3-4 videos and now the play smooth and crossfading nice like before. Good job guys! :) Most of the video clips i use are high quality 1080P but that was not a problem in older versions anyway.

So by changing the use DXVA to No works in 3994 version as well. Thanks for the help.

Avoiding the issue is a lot times not fixing the issue. Just have to say since avoidance is one thing that gets called fixed on occasion.

Drivers do cause problems at times but a driver problem is usually very consistent. In this thread you will see that you can play the video twice and the second time it plays ok Probably not a driver problem. If you can roll back and something starts to work again, then probably not a driver problem. There is more than one problem most likely unrelated listed in this thread. The tendency sometimes seems just to say well 'don't do that' and that I guess is called fixing the problem. Then the next person comes up maybe with same problem and it goes on and on. Spending some time investigating a problem can save time for everyone.

The green screen problem is still there but I can't get it to happen on a deck anymore. Happens every time with same files as before when played in sampler for me. The green displays when sample is first played, then second time there is no green. Change the bank, and change back to bank with green problem videos and same green problem is back. DXVA on or off does not matter for this.

nicolascy says good job and problem is fixed (avoided for him). Would be a good job is someone investigates the actual problem rather than say "just don't do that'. nicolascy says it did not happen with a rollback and suggestion was to update drivers. Could happen and can be a lot of things for sure but we may never know. Most likely not a driver problem since playback appears ok on second pass or stand on one leg and pray.

The green thing only happens in VDJ sampler now so not entirely fixed.

Posted Mon 26 Mar 18 @ 12:58 am
I don't know where you saw me say to avoid anything?
Also, it seems that the problems in this thread are not all the same.

nicolascy's problem looked like everything was slowing down to just a few frames per second, and it no longer occurred when using disabling dxva.
So one explanation would be that the video driver blocks drawing while decoding video.

Posted Mon 26 Mar 18 @ 5:35 am
Adion wrote :
I don't know where you saw me say to avoid anything?

You did not have to say it directly. I used to have something in my head that I called the "don't do that list". How many examples do you need? Just the other day you told someone to remove the file date from his search. He mentioned he was having a problem with video stutter when he did a search. You said it should not do this and for sure it should not and only thing you could think of was to remove the file date.. So now I guess, he is happy because he took "the don't do that" path and avoided the issue. It was a clear and cut case you could have used to find out what the real problem was.

Adion wrote :
Also, it seems that the problems in this thread are not all the same.

If you read my post you will find that I said that.
don says: There is more than one problem most likely unrelated listed in this thread.

Adion wrote :
nicolascy's problem looked like everything was slowing down to just a few frames per second, and it no longer occurred when using disabling dxva.
So one explanation would be that the video driver blocks drawing while decoding video.

Did you read nicolascy's post (or my post) where it was said it did not do that when he used some older version? Now sure things could have changed since then with his drivers or VDJ etc. but we may never know and so this kind of thing can linger waiting for the next person to post the problem. Maybe there is a driver problem and maybe there is not. You or I cannot really tell can unless it is followed up on.

EDIT: I don't know how you could fix the green problem with decks and not the sampler unless you did not bother to test that and why would the sampler be using a different code path is anyone's guess. I do know how fixing video problems can create other problems, and also since there is usually a large group working on video libraries that problems are introduced frequently and god knows lots of testing is needed when changing video libraries.

Posted Mon 26 Mar 18 @ 2:06 pm
THIS WORKED FOR ME!

same problem, so I downloaded every build going backwards, everything failed until build 8.2-3696 this and earlier builds work and no video freeze. to test, I identified a couple of vids that freeze, sound continued but picture froze or stuttered.
I have an open support ticket and let them know, i guess i'll stick with the early build until this is sorted.

Posted Thu 29 Mar 18 @ 5:14 am
Can you share this video for which you can reproduce it with me?

UseDXVA setting didn't make a difference for you?

Posted Thu 29 Mar 18 @ 5:24 am
Got it, I'll have a look.

Posted Thu 29 Mar 18 @ 6:35 am
Adion wrote :
Can you share this video for which you can reproduce it with me?

UseDXVA setting didn't make a difference for you?

I will try. There is something g with the builds after this that is causing the problem.

Posted Thu 29 Mar 18 @ 6:58 am
pweldonPRO InfinityMember since 2009
So, I've tried changing several settings, including DXVA, and none of the changes solved the issue of video stuttering after initial playback.

Posted Thu 29 Mar 18 @ 4:27 pm
pweldon wrote :
So, I've tried changing several settings, including DXVA, and none of the changes solved the issue of video stuttering after initial playback.

Try version 3696 or earlier. Worked for me. The newer builds are the problem. I’m on a MacBook Pro.

Posted Fri 30 Mar 18 @ 2:39 am
Hi again people. It is not a graphics driver problem. I have 2 different brands of laptops and the same problem was on both. I used old and latest versions of drivers to test and the problem was occurring in VDJ latest versions. In older versions of VDJ as i wrote videos were playing perfect with any driver. So by disabling the DXVA solved my problem but there is a very very small delay when loading the song, but that is not a problem.

Posted Sat 31 Mar 18 @ 11:44 am
I have mentioned this previously. It happens to me on two machines that have completely different components and graphics.

Posted Sat 31 Mar 18 @ 2:13 pm
Is it possible to share a video for which it happens?

Posted Sat 31 Mar 18 @ 2:14 pm
I just loaded up some videos on a third PC and played them through my 55" TV.

Third video in did it again. Disabling then re-enabling video did nothing.

As soon as that video finished and the next one came on it was fine again.

Posted Sat 31 Mar 18 @ 5:11 pm
mp3jrickPRO InfinityHonorary MemberMember since 2003
Last gig I had some glitchy video issues but on the skin as well as output.
Not normal, but a restart cured it.
This appears like a video memory or cpu bottleneck or leak where its a version change problem?

The last time I saw this we had a tool that would show the full graphics memory and use only half of it manually.
I wonder if the automation feature where the memory is discovered and limit is set has something to do with this.
Not clear on how it works exactly, but being automatic might factor into this if other things are fluctuating memory outside of vdj, just a guess to toss out there.

Posted Sat 31 Mar 18 @ 8:07 pm
56%