Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: VDJ Forum - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

VDJ RonPRO InfinityMember since 2010
This forum seems to promote expensive equipment as opposed to helping newbies solve their problems. A quick look at the latest posts displays this trend. Also newbies often don't have the knowledge to describe their problems in a way which some of the pompous regulars here demand. Hence the newbies have more or less turned their backs on this forum, and as a consequence I would suggest that these regulars reduce the sales of Atomix products.
Discuss.

Posted Wed 16 Aug 17 @ 10:20 pm
No way to prove this theory...

Posted Wed 16 Aug 17 @ 11:25 pm
Hey Newbies you got a question hit me up....

Posted Wed 16 Aug 17 @ 11:30 pm
The forum does not promote expensive equipment. People ask questions, and they are answered. Again, Where is your blog dedicated to the newbie if you are so concerned?

Posted Wed 16 Aug 17 @ 11:43 pm

Posted Wed 16 Aug 17 @ 11:52 pm
OldTomPRO InfinityMember since 2014
I was a newbie three years ago. Asked a lot of questions and got a lot of answers. Nobody ever came across to me as responding in a negative manner. Even when I asked a question that was probably in the RTFM category I got prompt and informative replies.
Overall, I've been very impressed with the overall friendly atmosphere on this forum. Never saw anything anywhere close to "pompous" in any of my interactions on this forum.

Posted Wed 16 Aug 17 @ 11:56 pm

Posted Wed 16 Aug 17 @ 11:58 pm
does he not know the difference between promoting something and putting out general information?

Posted Thu 17 Aug 17 @ 1:00 am
No, he does not have a clue. He does not know that there is a DJ convention here in the states, and just letting everyone know about some of the new releases, as does everybody else here on the forum. He also does not know that just because someone may be new, does not mean they don't have the money to buy anything they want. If someone wants a hand me down computer, that they can open and do the Frankenstein thing, we know where to send them.

When someone ask about a piece of equipment that I own, I give my experience. The OP of the thread that he is referring to, said he was not interested in any low end computer. He does not want to just get by and pray that his machine can handle the load he's putting on it. He wants a big boy machine so he can soar.

Posted Thu 17 Aug 17 @ 1:22 am
@amahm ..This is what you said : The forum does not promote expensive equipment. People ask questions, and they are answered.

I take it you don't mean what you say.

Posted Thu 17 Aug 17 @ 1:28 am
QED

Posted Thu 17 Aug 17 @ 1:34 am
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
bigron1 wrote :
This forum seems to promote expensive equipment as opposed to helping newbies solve their problems. A quick look at the latest posts displays this trend.

.."This forum..."
Yes, its a public forum and everyone has the right to post any information/news regarding new hardware equipment, especially when its related to VirtualDJ and DJ gear. There are times that a post falls into the promotion/spam case and when this happens, we moderate it. Even though the lines between a promotion, a non-promotion and a spam are sometimes not that clear i am sure that the Moderators and Atomix Staff have done right so far. It's up to you to judge but dont expect many to agree.

FYI, even though AMAHM has Moderation "duties", he is still not an Atomix employee and whatever hardware related posts he makes, those are not considered as "official promotion"
As for the "expensive" part, this forum has recently "promoted" this too http://www.virtualdj.com/forums/219301/General_Discussion/Numark_DJ2Go2.html
Its all part of the "i heard/saw this", and dont think that belong to the "promotion" case.
So i will not agree with you either.

bigron1 wrote :
... Hence the newbies have more or less turned their backs on this forum, and as a consequence I would suggest that these regulars reduce the sales of Atomix products. .

Do you have any stats or examples you can share ?

Posted Thu 17 Aug 17 @ 4:15 pm
The staff are the ones with the stats. and if you're doing your jobs properly then I would expect you to monitor forum activity, and sales. It would be stupid if you did not.

I would guess there are many millions of VDJ users, both legitimate and pirate who could bring financial advantage to Atomix. We very rarely see these people. However a month or so ago a few from the UK did start to make an appearance. Things however became a little newbie unfriendly.

Given the millions of users it's strange that this forum is dominated by a small group of regulars. Of these many are not experienced DJ's, and others don't do video, or karaoke. Most tend not to be mobile which is often the starting point for the newbie. Some just don't relate to the newbie.

I know Atomix carefully analyze their sales, as well as having their targets and agendas.
The staff will do what's best for the company out of self interest.

Hm..it's only just occurred to me that a huge number of bedroom DJ's may be Atomix's main customers?

Posted Thu 17 Aug 17 @ 5:02 pm
I think I now understand.

Posted Thu 17 Aug 17 @ 5:37 pm
bigron1 wrote :
The staff are the ones with the stats. and if you're doing your jobs properly then I would expect you to monitor forum activity, and sales. It would be stupid if you did not.

Of course we monitor sales and forums, but how can you tell if someone "turned their backs on this forum" ????
So unless you give us something to base what you wrote, i have to take that as a personal assumption and not as a fact.

I also see that you moved on discussion to legitimacy and piracy in your last reply, which has nothing to do with your original post and subject, but OK, i will not moderate your post as irrelevant :P (joke) and wont comment further. It's something that has been discussed quite a few times and our point of view has been stated as well.

bigron1 wrote :
Hm..it's only just occurred to me that a huge number of bedroom DJ's may be Atomix's main customers?
And if that is the case, what's wrong about that, and what's your point ?

Last but not least...
I have the feeling that this topic was created due to some "argument" you had with some other(s) user(s). Hopefully, this one will not turn to be another personal battle but a constructive discussion.
So lets all stay in the lines of mutual respect

Posted Thu 17 Aug 17 @ 5:41 pm
Of course we monitor sales and forums, but how can you tell if someone "turned their backs on this forum" ????

Look if you cannot create profiles like they do at Facebook and Google then quite simply you don't have the right people. You have millions of missing forum users. Why?

Anyway.. I now think almost the whole dj'ing industry is targeting the bedroom DJ.

Posted Thu 17 Aug 17 @ 5:53 pm
Forums are dead in general in nowdays. People tend to post in Facebook and other social media. Its normal. So if "turning back their backs to the forum" is because they prefer to post in Facebook, thats not something we can do anything about it and no, we dont want our forums to become another social media, we already have a FB Group

Posted Thu 17 Aug 17 @ 5:59 pm
We have experts in their respective fields here..that should be a precious attraction. I argue with many of you but I'm aware of your special skills. This place should be alive with newbies seeking knowledge. This is the place..not Facebook or anywhere else.

I don't use Facebook but I will go and have a look.

Posted Thu 17 Aug 17 @ 6:04 pm
Well, if you have any recommendations, please share.

Posted Thu 17 Aug 17 @ 6:06 pm
It wouldn't hurt to promote this forum on the VDJ Facebook & Twitter pages.

I guess that many of the TwitFace posts are down to the GUI simply being more convenient for people who post from their phones with an app. I can certainly say that trying to use this forum on my iPhone is not a pleasant experience. Too small.

On the iPad (bigger screen) it's more comfortable but I much prefer using a real QWERTY keyboard, mouse and my 32" screen.

Posted Thu 17 Aug 17 @ 6:17 pm
57%