Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Pangolin SMS Modem Issues

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

PionaraPRO InfinityMember since 2004
I am aware that there are many messages on the forums regarding Pangolin SMS, however, they seem quite dated now and unfortunately I have not been able to solve my latest issue on my own or with Pangolin's contact guys so I am turning to the forums for help, please.

I have been using Pangolin SMS for a while now and the IMU program has been fine. However, a while back my original modem died on me...:|

So, as per Pangolin's own recommendation, I bought (what I thought was) a Vodafone E182e USB modem only to receive a K4505. Nevertheless, I bought a new SIM card and setup my IMU software alongside VDJ 8. After a short time, IMU stopped responding and crashed. It created some error reports which I forwarded to Pangolin, but they have told me that there is nothing wrong with the software that would be causing it to crash the way it is and suggested looking back to the modem.

After searching on Google/eBay/Amazon, I realised that it's actually quite difficult to find an original E182e USB modem. So, instead, I approached Vodafone directly to see if they had any. Vodafone themselves have told me that the E182e modem was last sold roughly 3 years ago, and since then, an 'R' model has been released and even after that, a 'K' model has been released (hence the K4505?) which means that the E182e is at least 2 'generations' out of date. Vodafone have suggested contacting Huawei directly to see if they have any. I have done this and am waiting on a reply.

As it turns out, the K4505 and the E182e are two totally different modems. They K4505 is not an upgrade. Pangolin have suggested using a powered USB hub to run the modem as IMU may be crashing due to loss of USB power. Admittedly, I haven't as yet bought a powered USB hub, although, realistically, is there any point in buying one just yet if the modem is the wrong one anyway? I have contacted the seller to have the modem replaced or refunded which they have agreed to do. Pangolin claim to sell the E182e USB Modem at a price of $75, however, if that modem is so out of date, why would they be suggesting using this hardware?

As a DJ, I do alot of visual screen work and have recently started working in online radio as well. I would like to once again be able to offer a text message service to my customers and now listeners which is easier to manage than an iPhone. I want the functionality of text voting and bulk replying to messages as well, of course, and need a facility to do this. I messaged Pangolin directly on Monday but as yet have not had a reply. I appreciate people are busy and I also stress that this post is not a dig against Pangolin. I'm just turning to you guys to see if anyone else has had this problem and any workaround they may have used.

I was originally a Firetext user until they disappeared off the face of the planet, frankly, and then reappeared having teamed up with Twilio and SOTV. This is not a viable option for me, although, if needs must, then what will be will be. JammText is not available in the UK and T2S is no longer in development, and hasn't been for some time now, and so I can only imagine the headaches this will cause in the coming years. I want to work with a software that is current and up to date (even if the hardware appears to be somewhat dated) and at the moment, Pangolin, for me, seems to be the way to go.

Guys...I look to you. Has anyone had a similar issue? Have I missed something? Before anyone asks, it's a new laptop and all software and drivers are up to date. I have also set the USB's to not got to sleep. The software works fine for about half an hour and then crashes. It worked on older, less powerful laptops with the original modem but since changing to this new one, it just won't work for any length of time.

Someone somewhere must know something.

I appreciate you help guys...please get in touch.

As always....keep spinnin'...:)

Chris

Posted Wed 28 Jun 17 @ 9:34 am
PachNPRO InfinityMember since 2009
This is the way to go:

www.tellyvisuals.com

It's even possible to get whatsapp messages with a small trick.

Posted Wed 28 Jun 17 @ 10:24 am
I appreciate the feedback...thanks for your answer.

The issue is more the modem though rather than the software. Having said that, I will look into telly visuals.

Incidentally, what modem are you using?

Cheers

Chris

Posted Wed 28 Jun 17 @ 10:42 am
PachNPRO InfinityMember since 2009
The "E182e"... but after I read your comments I'm not sure what revision it is.
I had problems with windows recognizing it. I had to search for a driver first. After a good while of googling I eventually found one that worked.
But I haven't used the modem in the last 2 or so years.

Posted Wed 28 Jun 17 @ 11:09 am
OldufferControlleristMember since 2014
I have to second the opinion on Tellyvisuals. I use it in conjunction with pushbullet, and love how good it works, but with a sidenote here. I am no expert with it. Don Moir is always improving it, and adding capabilites, plus his support is excellent. I am sure he could guide you in your application.

Posted Wed 28 Jun 17 @ 1:19 pm
Again, I appreciate the info re telly visuals. I'll check it out, thanks.

What modem are you using?

Cheers

Chris

Posted Wed 28 Jun 17 @ 4:12 pm
OldufferControlleristMember since 2014
I don't use a modem other than my standard wifi router

Posted Wed 28 Jun 17 @ 5:08 pm
TellyVisuals Plus still supports IMU but I can't help you with modem problems and IMU. IMU is text only and no images.

TellyVisuals Plus can also use PushBullet which is an Android app. PB supports SMS and MMS images and a number of chat services. TV will automatically connect to PB once it has been established.

TV+ also supports iWall which has support for a number of services such as facebook etc. Text and images.

TellyVisuals Prime adds support for Twitter and Twilio. Text and Images. Twilio is a cheap online service for SMS and MMS. They give you a local phone number and then you are good to go. No modem needed. Twilio is free to try and the free service is quite complete but I am not sure how long the free service last.

TV automatically connects to these services once they have been activated in TV and you have established usage for them.

for more info:

http://www.tellyvisuals.com

Posted Wed 28 Jun 17 @ 5:42 pm
Appreciate the info guys...thanks.

All i want is a text to screen software and a modem that works. Images and stuff don't matter because i do that already anyway.

Chris

Posted Wed 28 Jun 17 @ 8:53 pm
What modem should I be using for TellyVisuals?

Thanks

Chris

Posted Fri 30 Jun 17 @ 1:29 pm
TV+ does not use a modem directly. IMU and iWall can use a modem and TV can connect to them.

TV+ can support PushBullet which runs on an Android phone. It handles SMS and MMS and a variety of chat apps. PB uploads the text and images to the internet and TV connects to the PB server app and receives the messages for display. So in this case the phone has become like a smart modem.

Twilio is an online service for SMS and MMS which TV can connect to. Does not require a modem or phone for TV to work with that.

Posted Fri 30 Jun 17 @ 7:29 pm
freppaPRO InfinityMember since 2002
Hey Pionara.

I have used TV+ with PushBullet for a long time now, and it works Perfect with sending text and pictures to screens from my customers.
And the support on TV from Don is great !

(Think I will try Twilio, is this working side by side with Pushbullet? ).

Posted Sat 01 Jul 17 @ 7:34 am
Really appreciate the feedback guys, thanks.

However, the issue isn't really the software, it's the modem that's causing me hassle.

Pangolin stopped working for some reason and they have put it down to the modem.

I have looked at tellyvisuals and admittedly it looks good...however, all I want is to put texts on the screen. I already do picture slideshows and all that stuff anyway...this is really just for texts to appear on the screen and I'd like a modem that works. I have messaged Pangolin on here but had nothing back. I've beenintouch with huawei and am waiting to hear back from them as well.

Thanks again guys

Chris

Posted Sat 01 Jul 17 @ 10:13 am
freppaPRO InfinityMember since 2002
What you want is exactly what Tellyvisuals + Pushbullet does, and your customers can also send you pictures/mms.

If you want to keep going forward instead of waiting on Pangolin, you should seriously tryout TV+PB.

How are you showing your slideshows and pictures right now?

Posted Sat 01 Jul 17 @ 5:16 pm
You will probably have better luck by contacting Pangolin directly. You can create a ticket here.

https://support.pangolin.com/open.php

freppa, Twilio, Twitter, and PushBullet can all be connected at same time. iWall or IMU can also be connected at same time as the others. You can't connect iWall and IMU (both) at the same time though.

Posted Sat 01 Jul 17 @ 5:17 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)