Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: DBX goRack

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

lincol2PRO InfinityMember since 2011
Is anyone using this with a controller and your thoughts? DBX goRack has a "compressor (hold edit)". Can anyone confirm if by activating this "compressor" button it will compress the sampler output with master so the master output is in sync with the sampler or visa versa?

Happens to me all the time, when the master volume is lowered, and the sampler is pressed. The sampler output startled the crowd. Is there a fix for this?
I have to immediately lowered the sampler volume.

Posted Wed 29 Mar 17 @ 10:30 pm
Breakaway dj

Posted Wed 29 Mar 17 @ 10:45 pm
I have had similar issues with this in the past too, which is why now i set my sampler volume when sound-checking to make sure its in keeping with the track. I Use a 4 deck controller but only the two deck skin, so I output the sampler on Deck 3 and can then use the fader for this deck to control the volume. I do have a DBX GoRack too. But it wont really do what you are wanting, it will compress everything to keep within limits, but wont normalise the sampler volume to the track.

Posted Thu 30 Mar 17 @ 8:01 am
So wait, the sampler volume isn't affected when turning down the master output?

WTF?

@Atomix, why is this? Surely the master volume should control the total output of VDJ - including the sampler.

Posted Thu 30 Mar 17 @ 5:04 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
Works for me, when I lower the master output volume the sampler is lowered as well.

Posted Thu 30 Mar 17 @ 5:23 pm
Yes the master controls it, but the problem is when you are playing a track at say 90db and then you press a sample and it comes out 10db louder than the track and frightens everybody to death, including yourself. Turning the master down would turn the track down too. I might have completely misunderstood what the OP was saying, but this is what i think he means and is a problem I have had in the past too.

Posted Thu 30 Mar 17 @ 6:43 pm
pretty sure samples follow your zerodb setting so they should be the same max volume as any track you play

at least that has been my experience..

maybe if you play a sample in a quiet part of the track its going to be louder...

each sample has its own volume slider as well so you could lower it in anticipation of this.

Posted Thu 30 Mar 17 @ 7:57 pm
If the sample's volume is louder than the average track you should use the gain control in the sample editor to lower the volume of the sample to match the average volume.

Posted Thu 30 Mar 17 @ 8:14 pm
I always keep an eye on sampler output level. In my skin I have a slider and a display of sampler main output level.
I also use a AKAI APC mini to control the sampler and 8 sliders to adjust sampler group output levels independently.
For example, one group is assigned to drums, one group for synths, and so on.

Posted Fri 31 Mar 17 @ 7:48 am
Yes I too use the APC Mini, but the problem is that VDJ does not remember the position of the fader when you restart. So unless you remember to slide each fader up and down before use, the fader might be in the middle but the software still has it up full. Locodog did write me a plugin which remembered their position which helped though.

Posted Fri 31 Mar 17 @ 7:56 am
Yes, that issue I also know. I always drag each slider up and down once in order for VDJ to catch up with slider positions. I just do it automatically these days.

Posted Fri 31 Mar 17 @ 8:01 am
Adion wrote :
you should use the gain control in the sample editor

But that's just so inconvenient. Plus it's a workaround, not a fix (IMO).

It's been said on here many times since the release of VDJ 8. In VDJ 7 you could adjust the volume fader for each sample and it stayed there.

You also had immediate access to a one-shot/loop toggle. Both volume and loop mode could be changed without needing to go into the edit mode (which is only accessible via the sample list view, so you have to change views too) and without needing to save.

So to change the volume (without it resetting to max), you're saying we have to change to sample list mode, press edit, change the gain and save - for each individual sample. Not exactly convenient for working on the fly.

Posted Fri 31 Mar 17 @ 5:22 pm
Completely agree, it's a pain. Which is why I bought the apc to have more control. But even with that I have to press the sample and then quickly adjust the fader. Most samples I use are voice overs so they need to be the right volume over the track. Would be great if the track could duck or you could set them to be automatically 5db louder than track or something. Half the time I don't really want to set up the apc at a gig either. Just want to use the pads on the controller.

Posted Fri 31 Mar 17 @ 6:19 pm
Andy7689 wrote :
I do have a DBX GoRack too. But it wont really do what you are wanting, it will compress everything to keep within limits, but wont normalise the sampler volume to the track.

Thanks

Posted Fri 31 Mar 17 @ 7:54 pm
groovindj wrote :
Adion wrote :
you should use the gain control in the sample editor

But that's just so inconvenient. Plus it's a workaround, not a fix (IMO).

It's been said on here many times since the release of VDJ 8. In VDJ 7 you could adjust the volume fader for each sample and it stayed there.

You also had immediate access to a one-shot/loop toggle. Both volume and loop mode could be changed without needing to go into the edit mode (which is only accessible via the sample list view, so you have to change views too) and without needing to save.

So to change the volume (without it resetting to max), you're saying we have to change to sample list mode, press edit, change the gain and save - for each individual sample. Not exactly convenient for working on the fly.

But why wouldn't you want your sample to have a normal default volume?
If it is too loud all the time, then it wasn't edited correctly the first time around, so you just change the gain once and it's good forever.

Posted Fri 31 Mar 17 @ 8:11 pm
Are the samples not scanned by VDJ and gain auto-adjusted in the same way as normal tracks then?

In my case, I have many hundreds of samples from the days of Akai rack mount hardware samplers, and also various DAWs. A lot of them are library samples so don't need any tweaking. They are fine as they are, so the last thing I want is for VDJ to create another copy of every one because I've had to save it after any adjustment in VDJ. IMO I shouldn't have to save it.

Posted Fri 31 Mar 17 @ 8:47 pm
Adion wrote :
so you just change the gain once and it's good forever.

Hmmm scratching my head... I'm using a 2 deck controller MC 4000 with a dedicated sampler volume control.

Master output on controller set@ 9 oclock (in home), and Volume faders @90% and Sampler gain is adjusted accordingly to this settings in Sampler Editor.

This is fine until I lowered the Volume Fader to like 10% in the middle of the night to keep it quiet. There was a an sampler active in that track that went off. Yes it almost floored me.

IMHO we need to have a visual of the Sampler output like channel,1,2 and master. This way channel level 1,2, can match the sampler level by using the dedicated sampler knob on the controller.

Posted Fri 31 Mar 17 @ 9:32 pm
Hi there. I'm having trouble with the song cue. Some are short, some are long. Cutting off the front or end of song. I can't figure out how to change it. Any help appreciated.

Posted Wed 05 Jul 17 @ 5:44 pm
I'm sorry, but your issue has nothing to do with the topic of this thread. Please do not hijack someone else's thread. Please check the manual for setting cue points. If you need more help, please start your own thread, thank you.

Posted Wed 05 Jul 17 @ 9:11 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)