Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: SAVING CUE PIONTS AND COLOURS

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hi guys, I wondering if you can help me please.
I have a pro unlimited licence and i have spent a lot of time preparing my music and setting cue points and colour coding different typrs of music i have.
however is there a program that can work with VDJ that i can prepare my music away from VDJ as my laptop died the other day and i have had to reinstall everything, and of course i have lost all my cue points etc.
It would be easier to have them backed up on a separate software just in case this happen again as i dont want to spend weeks,month re setting all my music up again. Please help if there is anything i can do

regards
shorty v

Posted Tue 28 Mar 17 @ 8:30 am
No such thing exists as VDJ is an all in one software.

Lesson learned .... back up your VDJ folder or at least your database.xml in case something like that happens again.

Posted Tue 28 Mar 17 @ 8:50 am
Your cue points and colours are saved in the database folder which is stored in "my documents" so you shouldn't lose anything from re-installing VDJ as long as your music is all in the same location on your hard drive.

The most important thing is to keep your music backed up and then the VDJ database file in "my documents" as long as you have a back up of that, you will never lose anything.

Posted Tue 28 Mar 17 @ 8:52 am
Oh i see, was a complete laptop re-install? you didn't back up your documents? Just sync the folder to dropbox, onedrive or google drive in future and it will always be backed up

Posted Tue 28 Mar 17 @ 8:53 am
Hi there thanks for your reply, no it was a complete reinstall of windows and the software.

Posted Tue 28 Mar 17 @ 2:09 pm
This is why I have asked for a backup/restore feature when closing/opening the program built into the software similar to accounts programs.

Posted Wed 29 Mar 17 @ 2:51 am
Been asked for many many times. Even if it backed up the DB once a month online to VDJ servers by default or a cloud service via plugin it would be better than nothing.

Posted Wed 29 Mar 17 @ 6:40 am
Yup it's mind boggling, as much as the team try's to automate everything in VDJ they still haven't figured this out yet.........

Don't know wether to laugh or cry about it.

Posted Wed 29 Mar 17 @ 1:51 pm
For windows you can do this in a bat file. Something similar can be done for mac. This will make a backup of the all the xml files located in C:\Users\%username%\Documents\VirtualDJ and then run VDJ. The backups will be placed in C:\Users\%username%\Documents\VirtualDJ\Backups in a folder with the current date and time to the second.

for example: C:\Users\Don\Documents\VirtualDJ\Backups\2017-03-29_18-46-46 will contain the settings.xml and database.xml and v6.xml if it exist.

Here is a link to the zipped bat file.

http://www.tellyvisuals.com/vdj.zip

once you have that file unzip and place vdj.bat somewhere maybe in c:\ then drag the vdj.bat file to your desktop. You can now double click it to backup the xml files and run vdj. Once you have it on your desktop, you can change the icon of it to match that of vdj. Right click on vdj.bat from desktop and select properties. There will be a selection to change the icon. Browse for virtualdj8.exe and select that and hit ok. It should look something like this. Now every time you run VDJ with this bat file it will make a date and time stamped backup.

The contents of vdj.bat

@echo off
for /f "tokens=2 delims==" %%a in ('wmic OS Get localdatetime /value') do set "dt=%%a"
set "YY=%dt:~2,2%" & set "YYYY=%dt:~0,4%" & set "MM=%dt:~4,2%" & set "DD=%dt:~6,2%"
set "HH=%dt:~8,2%" & set "Min=%dt:~10,2%" & set "Sec=%dt:~12,2%"

set "fullstamp=%YYYY%-%MM%-%DD%_%HH%-%Min%-%Sec%"
set "folder=C:\Users\%username%\Documents\VirtualDJ\Backups\%fullstamp%"

md "%folder%"

xcopy "C:\Users\%username%\Documents\VirtualDJ\*.xml" "%folder%"

start /d "C:\Program Files (x86)\VirtualDJ" virtualdj8.exe

Posted Wed 29 Mar 17 @ 11:06 pm
Nice work Don!!

Thanks

Posted Thu 30 Mar 17 @ 2:16 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
Note that if you have multiple drives, you probably want to add them to the script as well (perhaps a different subfolder per drive)
Also you might want to change the backup path to your onedrive/google drive/dropbox folder, since these backups will still be lost if you lose your documents folder because of reinstallation/hard disk crash/losing laptop etc...

Posted Thu 30 Mar 17 @ 6:05 am
@Adion, why won't you just build auto cloud backup in to the software?

Been asked for so many times now.

Posted Thu 30 Mar 17 @ 9:07 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)