Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: OTSAV PRO or Should I say OTSAV PRO Ex user

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hello, I'm Ken, a new user to Virtual DJ 8 Pro. I've checked out many of the programs out there and it came down to Virtual DJ 8 and PCDJ DEX 3. I have pretty much decided on Virtual DJ 8 as I can use it on Windows and a Mac. I love the Automix function that seems to work well for me. Little history, I used to be a professional DJ and have since retired and only DJ Private parties for Friends and our campground. I always used OTSAV and thought that was the wave of the future as it was a rock solid performer and NEVER crashed. Part of why it was so stable was the fact you had to convert your video's to they're format, .ots I did not mind doing this because of the stability of the system and thought I would use it forever. Deep Breath, well here we are in 2017 and OTS has all but died and no updates or changes in the program have happened in about 7 years. That is an eternity for computers and cell phones. :) I'm left with the fact that all of my video's are in .ots format, OTS has no program to convert video back to it's original format ( I know you haters out there that will say you should of keep the originals as a backup & hind sight is easy to see now ) so wondering if Virtual DJ 8 could include in its playing format .ots Video files. I KNOW you would pull over many old OTS users that are feed up with the lack of support for OTS. The main reason I am leaving OTS is the lack of HQ video support. In this day of 4k television, 640 x 480 or even 720 x 480 only video support is nuts. Please Virtual DJ help us old OTSAV users out. This is only the start of questions for this users group. Please be gentle with this old guy.
Thanks, Ken

Posted Fri 24 Mar 17 @ 3:18 pm
Wow never heard of that software before and maybe a bunch already know of it. Sorry to hear your dilemna. It's interesting that they are keeping their copyright updated. (Notice the bottom of their home page) Is it they aren't updating for non-commercial users or is it everyone?

I can't help you with answering your question but was just curious. I am still new to developing plugins for VirtualDJ. Another developer will hopefully give you more insight as to what is possible about the conversion.

Posted Fri 24 Mar 17 @ 4:02 pm
I've read some of the posts that relate to OTSAV and Virtual DJ 8. I do have to agree with others about the sound of Virtual DJ 8 and my old standby. Call it what you want, but Compression, threshold, attack, was all built into OTSAV and made it sound sweat right out of the box. I love peoples opinions about they want a flat signal and will adjust it themselves, but I come from the world of BOSE. Play with my brain and make it sound like a million dollars. A good start for me with Virtual DJ 8 would be able to run the BBE VST within the program along with a quick acting volume maximizer & reduction. That alone would give me brightness & volume control I'm looking for with unattended playing of most of these compressed video files.

Posted Fri 24 Mar 17 @ 7:05 pm
VDJ can run VSTs (and more recently, VSTi's too).

It has been able to for many years, and I think it's still unique as DJ software for doing that. Certainly the other big names can't run VSTs.

Posted Fri 24 Mar 17 @ 8:59 pm
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
I don't think it's possible to add support for OTS files I'm afraid; it's a proprietary undocumented format, and I believe an actual conversion rather than just encapsulated :(

Posted Sat 25 Mar 17 @ 12:18 am
Just throwing this out there. I am thinking if there isn't a way to convert it then maybe a possibility is using a screen capture program one at a time like you did to get them into OTSAV. Depends how desperate you are :(

Posted Sat 25 Mar 17 @ 1:24 am
maybe a ots file is just a container i am not sure but if you use a program like http://gspot.headbands.com/

you may be able to find out what codecs are used to encode these files and then from there maybe figure out what to use to re-encode them or maybe you can just change the extension to mpg and they will work outside that app (mpg is just an example i don't really know if that will work).

Posted Sat 25 Mar 17 @ 1:47 am
My money would be on the container theory too.

I mean, re-encoding possibly thousands of videos is not only time consuming, but it's not going to help the quality any. Plus, are they really going to develop their own unique video encoding format?

I'd bet that the original files are in there somewhere, not too deep. Just like the VDJ sample format - it's OGG in a wrapper.

Take a nice new video in a common format, encode a copy to OTS, then compare the two using some suitable software.

Posted Sat 25 Mar 17 @ 8:32 am
Hi Wickedmix, well I tried GSpot, nothing. It does not recognize the codec. Thank you for the suggestion. I'm going to have to read the instructions on adding the BBE sonic maximizer and the TC Native L VST to the program. Thank you everyone for you help.

Posted Sun 26 Mar 17 @ 4:57 pm
Hi....
i am use dj controller pioneer ddj rb..... on virtual 8.2...(free demo)
why sound output quality not so good....
i am not understand .....
sound output is very low....

Posted Sun 26 Mar 17 @ 8:01 pm
Hi, your post has nothing to do with the subject of this post. What you are doing is called hijacking some one else's thread. Please search the forum for a thread with the same issue that you have, or start your own thread, thank you. You can look here to see if your sound is setup correctly.

Posted Sun 26 Mar 17 @ 8:38 pm
from the above web page

Note: Video content cannot be exported back to its original form in this version of Ots Studio. This feature may be developed in future. Keep your original Video files backed up in their original format if necessary.

Posted Mon 27 Mar 17 @ 9:02 am
Hello DJ Bliss and Wickedmix.
Thanks again for your help. On my music I never used OTSAV. For playing the music files, MP3, I've always and still do use Mixmeister Pro 6. (I will look more into Virtual DJ 6 once I get my video problem worked out) I've used this product for about 15+ years because of being able to run BBE and TC Native L and build unattended Playlists. If you look at the release date on OTS Studio, you will see it has a release date of 2010! Talk about support for a product. :) Yes, I'm not holding my breath that OTS will ever come out with anything in the future. I hate the thought of having to manually find & convertt 15,000 video's to H264 when I already have them sitting in a format that is doing me no good. :(

Again, thank for your help.

Posted Tue 28 Mar 17 @ 3:02 pm
You mean Virtual DJ 8, don't you?

Posted Tue 28 Mar 17 @ 8:20 pm
So sorry, yes, meant Virtual DJ 8. Fat fingers and old eyes. :)

Posted Wed 05 Apr 17 @ 6:01 pm
Well I have made the move over to Virtual DJ 8. I'm glad I have and enjoy the program. I've started to use VDJ8 also to play my mp3's. I have to admit I'm surprised in that I have had ZERO crash's in playing video's. My question is still this, I have a ton (about 12,000) video's that are in the .OTS format. Is it a impossible question to see if Virtual DJ could also play this format as there is no product on the market to convert .ots format video to anything?

Posted Thu 05 Oct 17 @ 1:56 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)